Community Forum

Training Your First Horse

larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

This guide is intended to give you an idea of how training works.

Energy
Energy is consumed with training. The amount depends on the horses natural abilities, and his overall fitness and stamina.
Energy is returned each time you press 'Advance to the Next Day'. The arrow button in the top right corner.
Once you run out of energy you won't be able to train your horse anymore that game day.
If you try to train a horse who is out of energy, or try to work him too hard for his fitness level, you risk injuring your horse. However injuries are turned off for now so all that will happen right now is you'll get a warning that you horse might have been injured, and no training will be applied.

Fatigue
Fatigue is increased with hard training, and a high fatigue reduces the effects of training, Fatigue is a measure of how tired your horse is. Try not to let your horses fatigue value get too high by giving him a day or two of rest, or by finding an activity that helps reduce the fatigue. For example I've found that when I'm working a how very hard it helps to lunge them at a walk in the arena for 5 minutes before beginning the days work.

Red Activities
Activities outlined in red, or shaded and outlined in red are too difficult for your horse to try. This red outline and shading is your indicator that what you might attempt could injure your horse.

The first few training sessions
When you first begin training your horse he won't be fit enough to do much work. You have to first raise his stamina level by lunging at a walk for increasing durations. If you hover your mouse over the training activities (or click on the icon on your mobile device) you'll get a popup explaining what each training option does. We can see that the duration of 30 minutes gives us the most benefit for increasing stamina.

Continue working your horse until you've reached a decent level of stamina fitness, and now you can move into discipline specific training. Each discipline is judged on up to 4 stats. You can see which disciplines are judged in which stats here: http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... =12&t=1235 The stats are listed in order of importance. So for a Barrel Race agility is more important that speed as it's listed first in the list.

Find the combination of activities, terrain, gait and duration that increase the 4 stats your particular discipline is judged on, or if you haven't decided on a particular discipline then you can spread your training across all stats.

Summary
- Increase stamina first
- don't let fatigue get too high by giving a rest day periodically
- train to increase the stats for your particular discipline
- avoid red outlines or red shaded and outlined activities until your stamina is high enough
samjolie
Visit My Farm

Re: Training Your First Horse

Post by samjolie »

Hi,

Can you please help? When I train my horses sometimes they don't receive any stats improvements but the energy is used and fatigue goes high. Or I train my horse say on Hills, Gallop and 30 Minutes on lunge over cavelleti and only stamina and itellignec improve noting else.

Please help Thank you
RuneSnap
Visit My Farm

Post by RuneSnap »

When I train my horses sometimes they don't receive any stats improvements but the energy is used and fatigue goes high. Or I train my horse say on Hills, Gallop and 30 Minutes on lunge over cavelleti and only stamina and itellignec improve noting else.
High fatigue greatly diminishes the benefits of training. If your fatigue is around 40 or 50% when you train, I'm not surprised you're getting almost nothing out of it. The common knowledge (as far as I've seen) is that if fatigue is 30% or lower, you're good to go. Anything higher than that is pretty much pointless, and it's time better spent on less fatigued horses.

Just did a quick test on that training regiment you mention, and horse fatigue went up 68%. My horse's fatigue started at 16% and he got improvement in everything but tempo.
Danika Diceman
Visit My Farm

Post by Danika Diceman »

So would you say that multiple, short, light training sessions are more beneficial than one long one? For instance instead of using gallop, 30 mins, hills, and training on that, would you get more gain using walk, arena, 10 mins? And does your horse's fatigue stay lower when you use short and light training sessions, or does fatigue still increase quickly?

I've always turned my experienced horses up to gallop hills 30 mins and did just one session a day, I thought that would get the most gain. But their fatigue is really high. I also have a turkmene mare who's so close to being 100% trained in speed, but at 99.83 she just stopped gaining. Since 98% she's been gaining 0.01% each session, but then she just stopped. Is it possible to get her to 100? Thanks in advance!
RuneSnap
Visit My Farm

Post by RuneSnap »

Okay, I tested these on one of my lesser trained horses, and they all were tested on the same horse. Since you didn't state any actual training regiment, I used lunges for that. I also made sure to start him out with each of these at 0% fatigue.

I had him walk, in the arena, for 5 minutes multiple times, until it totaled half an hour. At the end of that half hour, he'd gained about 1.01% in tempo, balance, and stamina, and nothing in fatigue. I had him do the exact same thing, but this time just using the half hour option. At the end of that, he'd gained the same amount in tempo and balance, and had an expected jump in the gain of stamina (+1.98, instead of 1.01) and gained 2% to his fatigue.

As for gallop, 30 min, and hills vs. walk, 10 min(I assumed to a total of 30 mins) arena, it really depends on what you want to train, and how well trained the horse is already.

I ended up running the arena scenario first, stamina, balance, and tempo all gained about the same, around +.95% and his fatigue gained 1%. After a bit more stamina training, he was then able to run the hills scenario. He gained 10.4% to speed, 5.2% to strength, 1.21% to stamina, and .87% to tempo, while his fatigue shot up to 43%.

So, if your goal is to keep fatigue low, short and sweet is good. If you want to train fast, though, you want the Hills scenario. Just max out every stat you want to train. As for the 100% horse, I haven't seen one yet. I've seen horses that are extremely close, but none that quite got there. Also a fun fact that I picked up, and that you might be able to extrapolate from the Hills scenario, and the fact he's untrained, but!

The less trained a horse is in a certain stat, the faster they can gain in that stat.
Bentjudges
Visit My Farm

Post by Bentjudges »

Brilliant guide, thanks Will be giving BIAB a go, just sorting equipment and tidying my brewing area in the garage first.
Thundermare
Visit My Farm

Post by Thundermare »

How can I level up my stamina quickly? It's way too slow to come up and it's frustrating me to no end since there aren't a lot of stamina exercises.
Red Rowan Stables
Visit My Farm

Post by Red Rowan Stables »

Hi, I'm wondering if there is a way to train out the red stats? For example, if I lunged a horse for a while to increase its stamina, then did a movement exercise, would the red movement stat eventually go?
Kamichi Stables
Visit My Farm

Post by Kamichi Stables »

Red Rowan Stables wrote:Hi, I'm wondering if there is a way to train out the red stats? For example, if I lunged a horse for a while to increase its stamina, then did a movement exercise, would the red movement stat eventually go?
Nope, that is genetic.
Red Rowan Stables
Visit My Farm

Post by Red Rowan Stables »

Kamichi Stables wrote:
Red Rowan Stables wrote:Hi, I'm wondering if there is a way to train out the red stats? For example, if I lunged a horse for a while to increase its stamina, then did a movement exercise, would the red movement stat eventually go?
Nope, that is genetic.
Thanks!
Become a Patron!