Community Forum

Extensive User Guide

Argent II
Visit My Farm

Re: Extensive User Guide

Post by Argent II »

Xant’hippe wrote:-- "Mares don't lose foals" ... Although I have yet to lose a foal, I am drawing upon the experience of HorseLady72, who did. (This was months ago. Has game programming changed with regard to broodmare nutrition?) HorseLady is an extremely honest person and careful observer. It is possible, however unlikely, that she may have been mistaken.
Mares have never lost foals due to being unfed. Your friend is mistaken.
Xant’hippe wrote:-- "Horses don't die if they aren't fed" ... In this game, horses die as young as 19 even if they are healthy. BCS does not, as you say, have no effect on the age of death. Maybe the game should be changed so that horses do not linger for years at BCS 1. IRL they do eventually perish from such profound deprivation. While I wouldn't want game parameters to get really ugly (e.g. kill buyers), this could be something to consider ... of course, it isn't as if Larissar isn't busy.
Horses are coded to die at any age between 19 and 30+. This is both genetic and random. Feeding has nothing to do with it.
Xant’hippe wrote: -- "Horses do not go off their feed" ... In my own game experience as well as HorseLady's, adult horses given consistent levels of feed and activity sometimes have fluctuating BCS levels, including hard-to-understand weight loss. We have seen it with more than one animal and in more than one situation (e.g. different ages, pasture only, pasture plus supplements, careful feeding in barn).
A horse's energy needs and available feed on pasture fluctuate. They do not go off their feed.

(14:43:36) Nate: argie goes around the farm at foaling time with a tape measurer, an angle measurer, and a club
Xant’hippe
Visit My Farm

Post by Xant’hippe »

Please look closely.

In my own game experience as well as HorseLady's, adult horses given consistent levels of feed and activity sometimes have fluctuating BCS levels, including hard-to-understand weight loss. We have seen it with more than one animal and in more than one situation (e.g. different ages, pasture only, pasture plus supplements, careful feeding in barn).

Horses I have cared for have come from different sources: I have purchased from many breeders/owners, adopted, and bred.
Horses who spend their entire lives with one owner, who has been intensively breeding them for many generations, could be far more consistent.

YMMV, ok? ;)
Argent II
Visit My Farm

Post by Argent II »

None of this is a matter of "YMMV". Mares are not coded to lose foals if they are not fed. Horses are not coded to die depending on their nutrition. Horses are not coded to randomly stop eating.

(14:43:36) Nate: argie goes around the farm at foaling time with a tape measurer, an angle measurer, and a club
Xant’hippe
Visit My Farm

Post by Xant’hippe »

I have seen fluctuating BCS in my horses despite non-varying feeding routines. I am not a liar, a poor observer, or non compos mentis.

Perhaps somebody from Admin would have a perspective on this?
larissar
Site Admin
Site Admin
Visit My Farm

Post by larissar »

Yes there is a random element to how much a horse will eat when in a pasture and this can cause fluctuations in BCS in pastured horses. Some horses can appear to have "gone off their feed" if they are eating less than usual for an extended period of time.
Revv
Visit My Farm

Post by Revv »

If I have a Part Spanish Barb x Mustang [68%], does this count as a "Part Spanish Barb" I can breed to a "Frederiksborg" to create a Knabstrupper? Or does the breed line for my Spanish Bard need to only say "Part SB" or "Half SB" (excluding mention of the mustang bit)?

Clarification would be appreciated! :)
Midnight Rose
Visit My Farm

Post by Midnight Rose »

Revv wrote:If I have a Part Spanish Barb x Mustang [68%], does this count as a "Part Spanish Barb" I can breed to a "Frederiksborg" to create a Knabstrupper? Or does the breed line for my Spanish Bard need to only say "Part SB" or "Half SB" (excluding mention of the mustang bit)?

Clarification would be appreciated! :)
The second one - you wouldn't be able to use it. To count as a Spanish Barb the percentage doesn't matter but there can't be a second breed listed. This section of the FAQ has more info on creating new breeds that might also be helpful.
Heera29
Visit My Farm

Post by Heera29 »

I need help!
I have 6 horses and 2 of them are not eating as much as they need to be eating.
They are both in a barn so i can feed them 4 things but they wont get any fatter.
What should feed my two horses?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Heera29 wrote:I need help!
I have 6 horses and 2 of them are not eating as much as they need to be eating.
They are both in a barn so i can feed them 4 things but they wont get any fatter.
What should feed my two horses?
Please remember to post in the questions forum using your own topic, after all, that's what it's there for, but no big deal. Often you'll receive a quicker answer if you do so.

Horses in barns are notorious for being harder to keep fed properly. Often times a mixture of weight mix and performance can take care of your problem. More often than that a lot of our new players don't realize that there is a limit to how much your horse can eat. If you look along the left side of your horse profile, you'll see the spot where you can add food. Just below that is the information for how much you're feeding them and how much they can eat. If how much they can eat is red, that means they can't ingest everything you're trying to stuff into their gullet. Often times it's much easier to keep horses in pasture because they'll supplement themselves with grass.
There's still some issues (known bugs) with our feeding system, so it's not perfect and also certain things like feed price set at certain levels and dying because of being too overweight or underweight are not enacted. And also, very small horses and very large horses sometimes eat unusually in the barn.
One last thing you need to be aware of is that all feed is fed alphabetically. So if you have them eating max hay and also weight gain, they will fill up on hay well before they'll touch that weight gain feed.
Just be aware of that indicator for how much they can ingest and if you can't balance out their diet to allow them to fatten up properly in the barn, then it may be time to put them in the pasture.
NadEr06
Visit My Farm

Post by NadEr06 »

hey, i've entered my horse into a few comptetitions. where can i find the results?
Become a Patron!