The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

How to sell your horse efficiently and effectively

Bitapetrone II
Visit My Farm

Re: How to sell your horse efficiently and effectively

Post by Bitapetrone II »

katienoel216 wrote: Basically you want to make your horse look really good. Take a picture of your horse from the upper legs up, or just the face of your horse. This will make your horse look professional and appealing to shoppers.
I think it's great you took the time to write something like this up! I just wanted to add that conformation is incredibly important to me (and I imagine some others) and I spend quite a bit of time perusing the sale/stud ads. However, there are a lot of horses there and I do not have the time to check them all, so when I see a horse posted with just a head shot I don't even bother to look because I couldn't get an overall impression of the horse's conformation at a glance. Having a full, zoomed in shot of horse's conformation can be very beneficial to some buyers.
stephanie111
Visit My Farm

Post by stephanie111 »

Bitapetrone II wrote:
katienoel216 wrote: Basically you want to make your horse look really good. Take a picture of your horse from the upper legs up, or just the face of your horse. This will make your horse look professional and appealing to shoppers.
I think it's great you took the time to write something like this up! I just wanted to add that conformation is incredibly important to me (and I imagine some others) and I spend quite a bit of time perusing the sale/stud ads. However, there are a lot of horses there and I do not have the time to check them all, so when I see a horse posted with just a head shot I don't even bother to look because I couldn't get an overall impression of the horse's conformation at a glance. Having a full, zoomed in shot of horse's conformation can be very beneficial to some buyers.
Lol, that would explain why I buy so many horses that I regret later on, some photos really had me there!
Devolare
Visit My Farm

Post by Devolare »

This is kind of late (as I was just kinda glancing around this forum today), but in regards to your specific guide, would it be possible change the color of some of the text? The aquas, light greens, and even the yellows are kind of hard to read on the light background. Trying to read it from my laptop screen is making my eyes hurt a little (I swear I'm not an old grandmother, despite sounding like it). Why not make the headers a little bigger or bold them instead?
Farant
Visit My Farm

Post by Farant »

Well, I would add my point of view.

1. You should see and keep in mind not only stats, but pedigree. Stats are important, but pedigree can sell the horse. Sometimes people (crazy like me) look through pedigree too. If your horse have brilliant ancestors and champs are everywhere, you may increase your price and chance to sell your horse. Good pedigree is a guarantee that horse won't eat its hay and do nothing for you. Even if it's old 20+ broodmare who didn't see a bridle in her life, she's carrying great blood, and her foals may cost a lot. And a little filly or colt produced by champions can cost decent amount of money too.
2. Trained horses cost more than 2.000. I bought some trained horses for up to 20.000. But I think you should train your horse as much as possible if you want to get good money. And I didn't see any point in selling old trained horses. Keep in mind that 18-19yo show horse is on the edge of retiring, after 20yo it will be useless for shows, and next owner will need the second account in order to keep her properly without aging, and this will take real time to switch between accounts and so on. So keep in mind - the younger the better.
3. About sale text. Okay, that's my dream, but. If you take photo of your horse, keep in mind that it's small. So, you should help people get some info about your horse from your advertisement. You can include: Build, # of golds and/or greens (or positive comments if no stats are highlighted), genetic potential, COI%, amount of training (overall %) if trained, titles of parents if they have some, info about earnings and so on. If you sell a show prospect, write that in the title. If you have your own brand, I recommend to include it. I write it in title. It's your brand, why not? Just keep it short, like in your horse's name. For example, EVI and RSAE are acceptable in advertising, but "Green Meadows of Vicky's Farm" is too long.

I include some pictures:

That's good advertisement

And will you learn anything from that?
I apologize to the player who wrote this, but it's an illustration.
stephanie111
Visit My Farm

Post by stephanie111 »

Farant wrote:Well, I would add my point of view.

1. You should see and keep in mind not only stats, but pedigree. Stats are important, but pedigree can sell the horse. Sometimes people (crazy like me) look through pedigree too. If your horse have brilliant ancestors and champs are everywhere, you may increase your price and chance to sell your horse. Good pedigree is a guarantee that horse won't eat its hay and do nothing for you. Even if it's old 20+ broodmare who didn't see a bridle in her life, she's carrying great blood, and her foals may cost a lot. And a little filly or colt produced by champions can cost decent amount of money too.
2. Trained horses cost more than 2.000. I bought some trained horses for up to 20.000. But I think you should train your horse as much as possible if you want to get good money. And I didn't see any point in selling old trained horses. Keep in mind that 18-19yo show horse is on the edge of retiring, after 20yo it will be useless for shows, and next owner will need the second account in order to keep her properly without aging, and this will take real time to switch between accounts and so on. So keep in mind - the younger the better.
3. About sale text. Okay, that's my dream, but. If you take photo of your horse, keep in mind that it's small. So, you should help people get some info about your horse from your advertisement. You can include: Build, # of golds and/or greens (or positive comments if no stats are highlighted), genetic potential, COI%, amount of training (overall %) if trained, titles of parents if they have some, info about earnings and so on. If you sell a show prospect, write that in the title. If you have your own brand, I recommend to include it. I write it in title. It's your brand, why not? Just keep it short, like in your horse's name. For example, EVI and RSAE are acceptable in advertising, but "Green Meadows of Vicky's Farm" is too long.

I include some pictures:

That's good advertisement

And will you learn anything from that?
I apologize to the player who wrote this, but it's an illustration.
I would agree! I personally look through the pedigree, it helps me look at the horse's ancestry and will be more likely to buy the horse if there are champions in the bloodline. Almost like in real life, you would be most likely be more willing to buy a horse with champion bloodlines.
meaghanne
Visit My Farm

Post by meaghanne »

I completely ignore head shots. Look through real life horse sales adds for show horses and you'll get an idea of what the wording should be. I used to sell horses through dreamhorse.com. Most of the sale ads in the market look like they belong on Craigslist right now so I rarely buy anymore.

For photos, I want to see the whole horse and how it's built from the market without clicking on its profile, meaning no equipment unless maybe a halter or bridle if absolutely necessary, and even then I don't think it look 'professional'. From there I'll dive deeper to see if it's worth the time both for sales and when I'm looking to breed outside.
Bar Heart Ranch |<3
VampireSaint~616
Visit My Farm

Post by VampireSaint~616 »

Thanks
Soaring Hooves
Visit My Farm

Post by Soaring Hooves »

Just saying something quickly, 2k is a really low price. In my opinion, a good horse should sell for waaaay over 2k :)
katienoel216 wrote:Hello There!
As a breeder and seller on this game, I have discovered several efficient ways to post an ad for the horse you want to sell. There is more than one way to do this, and it requires patience and very few steps. Anyways, Here I will teach you the steps to a good article or ad for your horse.

Step 1: take a professional picture.
Basically you want to make your horse look really good. Take a picture of your horse from the upper legs up, or just the face of your horse. This will make your horse look professional and appealing to shoppers.

Step 2: sell your horse at a reasonable price.
If you have ever been on the horse store, you've probably seen some insane prices. Same with the studs. My suggestion is to sell what your horse is worth. If your horse has great coloring, stats or HGP, sell him/her for a higher price (2,000) or under. If your horse is not this good, sell him/her for a lower price (200 or under.) If your horse is unwanted, sell him/her for very cheap. Shoppers usually look for lower prices, increasing your chance of selling your horse easier.

Step 3: WAIT.

And I mean wait. Don't re-home your horse 2 minutes after you posted the ad because people haven't gotten the chance to see it yet. Eventually people will see your ad and fall in love with your horse.

Thanks for reading these steps on how to post an ad effectively. This is guaranteed to help you sell your horse better. If you have any questions or concerns, please post them in the comments below. :D
Thanks!
Katie, SBH Farms
"I can't make it go away by making you a villain"
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Soaring Hooves wrote:Just saying something quickly, 2k is a really low price. In my opinion, a good horse should sell for waaaay over 2k :)
The original post was made quite some time ago and prices have changed a LOT since then (so if course, you're likely correct in most cases). Remember to check the timestamps... then feel free (of course) to give an update to the topic if you feel it's necessary. :mrgreen:

Also, when you're updating a topic, remember to include reasoning, changes and any other pertinent information.
Don't forget to check it out!
Quick Start Guide For Newbies
Link to additional information.
BlackOak2's Quick-Links
Soaring Hooves
Visit My Farm

Post by Soaring Hooves »

Oh wow yeah! I didn't even check how long ago it was made :lol: But an update:
A good horse will sell for way more than 2k now. The price depends on breed, ancestors, colour, stats, and sometimes even the breeder. For example, I could have bred a 61 speed, great stats Tb and sell it young and fully trained for at most 10 million and even that is a lot to expect. But FameDaLupa could have bred the same horse and sold it for 85 million. Breeders are important! It will also depend on how much money the seller and buyer have! If I was selling a horse that's good quality since I have millions of dollars, I would expect over a million or maybe over 100k depending on the breed, but if a newbie was selling a good quality horse, they'd probably be amazed by getting 100k. No offense to newbies of course :) And I hate to say this, but it might also depend on how nice you are to the community. If it was me, I would be far more likely to spend 70 million$ on a horse that was being sold by someone I know and trust to do good with it than on a horse from someone who has a bad reputation for doing mean thing and that sort. But the seller won't keep me from buying a good-quality horse! I will always say to be kind to other people though, so yeah. I hope this might help and I just realized how long this is :lol:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Soaring Hooves wrote:Just saying something quickly, 2k is a really low price. In my opinion, a good horse should sell for waaaay over 2k :)
The original post was made quite some time ago and prices have changed a LOT since then (so if course, you're likely correct in most cases). Remember to check the timestamps... then feel free (of course) to give an update to the topic if you feel it's necessary. :mrgreen:

Also, when you're updating a topic, remember to include reasoning, changes and any other pertinent information.
"I can't make it go away by making you a villain"
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:06 pm