The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Foal Coat, Silver, or ???

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Foal Coat, Silver, or ???

Post by Silverine »

So I have this girl.

I know that she's a black base with silver and leopard. What I'm curious about is the lightness along her muzzle and underside. With the horses I've had before this has been part of the foal coat and faded with age, but this girl is already 1.5 years old and the lightness shows no signs of fading. Can silver cause this? Is she just taking a long time to come into her adult color? Or is something else going on?
Totina
Visit My Farm

Re: Foal Coat, Silver, or ???

Post by Totina »

As far as I have noticed, some silver dapple variations include mealy-markings throughout their lives.
texí
Visit My Farm

Post by texí »

Silverine wrote:So I have this girl.

I know that she's a black base with silver and leopard. What I'm curious about is the lightness along her muzzle and underside. With the horses I've had before this has been part of the foal coat and faded with age, but this girl is already 1.5 years old and the lightness shows no signs of fading. Can silver cause this? Is she just taking a long time to come into her adult color? Or is something else going on?

looks like pangaré, but maybe it's just a different shade of silver dapple according to her pedigree
Alpha ignis, signum astralis, flamma omega, multiversalis....
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Totina wrote:As far as I have noticed, some silver dapple variations include mealy-markings throughout their lives.
Interesting. It's a very pretty effect. :)
BananaDragonSide
Visit My Farm

Post by BananaDragonSide »

For the future, there is mealy (AKA pangare), which causes their muzzles and undersides to remain light throughout their lives (Extremely common with Belgians, especially those in the Adoption Center). This doesn't look like Mealy though, and looks more like an effect of the Silver Dapple
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BananaDragonSide wrote:

For the future, there is mealy (AKA pangare), which causes their muzzles and undersides to remain light throughout their lives (Extremely common with Belgians, especially those in the Adoption Center). This doesn't look like Mealy though, and looks more like an effect of the Silver Dapple
Mealy also only affects red pigment.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:59 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:59 am