The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Flaxen Chestnut or Silver Bay

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Flaxen Chestnut or Silver Bay

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

So a friend and I are having a disagreement on this horses color in chat.

#PK Tizzy Swirl
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Re: Flaxen Chestnut or Silver Bay

Post by Bitapetrone »

Looks bay silver to me. You can see where the black on the legs is being altered by the silver (it's sort of a faded muddy colour). I've only seen this occur with the bay silvers and not the dark sooty chestnuts.

After taking another look, It would see the horse you linked has a much lighter effect on the lower leg than the bay silvers, which could be the flaxen coming into play. I don't have any dark flaxens to compare it to, but they are lighter than my bay silvers. So I switch my vote to sooty flaxen.

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Bitapetrone wrote:Looks bay silver to me. You can see where the black on the legs is being altered by the silver (it's sort of a faded muddy colour). I've only seen this occur with the bay silvers and not the dark sooty chestnuts.

After taking another look, It would see the horse you linked has a much lighter effect on the lower leg than the bay silvers, which could be the flaxen coming into play. I don't have any dark flaxens to compare it to, but they are lighter than my bay silvers. So I switch my vote to sooty flaxen.
Not considering the parents, I have seen some influence with flaxen on the lower legs of other horses. Chestnut base.

When considering the parents, one appears to be black based and the other chestnut based, so since the stallion has appeared to throw no agouti with any partners and threw only a black with an agouti partner, plus having a long line of nothing but chestnut bases... there can be a hidden agouti, but there have been occasional infusions of black (black cannot carry hidden agouti).
So my final vote is definitely chestnut, albeit a decently dark one, with flaxen (there are some decently dark sooty genes in the pedigree, but none so fully established as this one).

Very nice. I'll be saving this one to my favorites topic.
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Bitapetrone wrote:Looks bay silver to me. You can see where the black on the legs is being altered by the silver (it's sort of a faded muddy colour). I've only seen this occur with the bay silvers and not the dark sooty chestnuts.

Not considering the parents, I have seen some influence with flaxen on the lower legs of other horses. Chestnut base.

When considering the parents, one appears to be black based and the other chestnut based, so since the stallion has appeared to throw no agouti with any partners and threw only a black with an agouti partner, plus having a long line of nothing but chestnut bases... there can be a hidden agouti, but there have been occasional infusions of black (black cannot carry hidden agouti).
So my final vote is definitely chestnut, albeit a decently dark one, with flaxen (there are some decently dark sooty genes in the pedigree, but none so fully established as this one).

Very nice. I'll be saving this one to my favorites topic.
Thank you both of you, I think this will resolves a five hour debate. I think it was four hours for it to sink in that it was definitely, chestnut (based it off from the black on the muzzle followed the contour of the mouth and nostril, where as a bay horses (as far as I have seen, are typically concave and cover more of the muzzle).
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
Concolor
Visit My Farm

Post by Concolor »

If this post interested you, please do check out the exciting next step in the color mystery, "Silver Black Dun? Where did the Dun come from?" where one of our intrepid color debaters gets a mystery dun from the line of one of the test mares put to Tizzy the Silver Flaxen Black Chestnut. :P
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:20 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:20 am