The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Palomino Dun Looking Horse?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
BananaDragonSide
Visit My Farm

Palomino Dun Looking Horse?

Post by BananaDragonSide »

So, I've been looking at this new colt I got. When he was born, he seemed like a palomino, but he was very pale compared to past palomino foals I've had, so I was watching him as he grew. Now that he's older, I'm pretty sure he's NOT palomino. He's been showing dark markings on his legs and face, which isn't normal for chestnut based horses, and now he's starting to show dun stripes on his legs.

Bravo Lalaland
Fox13
Visit My Farm

Re: Palomino Dun Looking Horse?

Post by Fox13 »

BananaDragonSide wrote:So, I've been looking at this new colt I got. When he was born, he seemed like a palomino, but he was very pale compared to past palomino foals I've had, so I was watching him as he grew. Now that he's older, I'm pretty sure he's NOT palomino. He's been showing dark markings on his legs and face, which isn't normal for chestnut based horses, and now he's starting to show dun stripes on his legs.
His sire is a buckskin dun, it looks like he inherited both his fathers single black gene and also his father's cream gene. I didn't see it in multiple generations on the dam side (since they're nothing but chestnuts for generations), but she has to be hiding a silver gene.
At least that's my guess.
Silver Buckskin Dun, with doubled tiger eye
BananaDragonSide
Visit My Farm

Re: Palomino Dun Looking Horse?

Post by BananaDragonSide »

Fox13 wrote:
BananaDragonSide wrote:So, I've been looking at this new colt I got. When he was born, he seemed like a palomino, but he was very pale compared to past palomino foals I've had, so I was watching him as he grew. Now that he's older, I'm pretty sure he's NOT palomino. He's been showing dark markings on his legs and face, which isn't normal for chestnut based horses, and now he's starting to show dun stripes on his legs.
His sire is a buckskin dun, it looks like he inherited both his fathers single black gene and also his father's cream gene. I didn't see it in multiple generations on the dam side (since they're nothing but chestnuts for generations), but she has to be hiding a silver gene.
At least that's my guess.
Silver Buckskin Dun, with doubled tiger eye
Alright, thanks! His newborn sister is what I usually see in a palomino, with the blindingly white mane.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:07 pm

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:07 pm