The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Silver Black Dun? Where did the Dun come from?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Concolor
Visit My Farm

Silver Black Dun? Where did the Dun come from?

Post by Concolor »

So, I just got what looks like a surprise dun. Meet Spanish Oak

She is the daughter of Flamenco
and Live Oak

Since Flamenco is SIlver Black (Z E aa dd) and Live Oak is Silver Seal Brown (Z E At dd), I was expecting her to be most likely Silver Black like her dad. Imagine my surprise when I saw the definite dun striping and small withers patch on her.

Dun is dominant, so one of the parents has to be dun.

The plot thickens, because when using her granddam, Big Bella
, to test breed the Flaxen Chestnut/Silver Black stud that Baranduin Brewster and I were arguing over, Baranduin Brewster told me that she thought Big Bella was Seal Brown and not Grulla as I had identified her as. However, Bella is the only Dun possibility that I can see in Spanish Oak's pedigree, and even then, I can't see any dun on Live Oak.

So. Am I crazy? Is Spanish Oak not dun? Is Live Oak a super under-expressed dun? Did the Dun Fairies visit my farm in the night?
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Re: Silver Black Dun? Where did the Dun come from?

Post by Bitapetrone »

Spanish Oak is dun. I second Baranduin on Bella being seal brown + dun; the fading in the flank/pit area is pretty loud. Live Oak is probably just a very minimally expressed dun.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:09 am

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:09 am