The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Roan and dun? Gene help!

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
ɴ ᴀ ʀ ᴀ
Visit My Farm

Roan and dun? Gene help!

Post by ɴ ᴀ ʀ ᴀ »

Hi! I have a question about the genes of a foal of mine.

These are the genes the father and mother have:

Father:
E/E or E/e
A/A or A/a or A/At
D/D or D/d
r/r

Mother:
E/E or E/e
a/a
d/d
R/R or R/r

This is what i predicted the foals genes could be:
E/E or E/e or e/e
A/a or a/a or At/a
D/d or d/d
R/r or r/r

This is what I think after the foal was born:
E/E or E/e
A/a
D/d or d/d
R/r

I can see that he is roan, but I can't seem te figure out if he is also dun (bolded). Can these two genes be expressed at the same time? I need to know so I can find out if the father is heterozygous or homozygous for the dun gene. Also, please tell me if I made a mistake somewhere!

Relentless

Thanks!
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Roan and dun? Gene help!

Post by Silverine »

ɴ ᴀ ʀ ᴀ wrote:Hi! I have a question about the genes of a foal of mine.
I can see that he is roan, but I can't seem te figure out if he is also dun (bolded). Can these two genes be expressed at the same time? I need to know so I can find out if the father is heterozygous or homozygous for the dun gene. Also, please tell me if I made a mistake somewhere!

Relentless

Thanks!
At this point I'm going to say that he's only roan and not dun. However, you'll have a better idea once he's completely blown his foal coat at one year. His roan area is pale enough to make me think he could possibly have dun, but at this point I don't see any other indicators.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:06 pm

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:06 pm