The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Wild Silver Bay with Socks?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Wild Silver Bay with Socks?

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

Just to verify that this is a Silver Bay (it does have black on the lower legs along with socks and a black muzzle). I'm aware that silver does show on the feathers if a horse has them, but that shows up with the cornet band and fetlock points peing silver, this is a new one for me. Does anyone else have any others like this.

MFI American Shetland ♀

Then bred out this one too, the socks are not as prominent, but still there. Lacks the full silver mane/tail, but both look mixed silver and black (possible guard hairs?).

MFI American Shetland ♀
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Wild Silver Bay with Socks?

Post by BlackOak2 »

Baranduin Brewster wrote:Just to verify that this is a Silver Bay (it does have black on the lower legs along with socks and a black muzzle). I'm aware that silver does show on the feathers if a horse has them, but that shows up with the cornet band and fetlock points peing silver, this is a new one for me. Does anyone else have any others like this.

Then bred out this one too, the socks are not as prominent, but still there. Lacks the full silver mane/tail, but both look mixed silver and black (possible guard hairs?).
I agree, silver bay, could even be silver wild bay. Most of mine appears on my flaxens. Let's see if I can locate any like yours...

I have this one, affected by pangare as well as flaxen, but the flaxen legs are quite obvious:

This one at 1 year, shows the flaxen (no pangare on him), although as he grew, he did develop feathers.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1089970

It seems that's all I have anymore. I used to have a couple silver bays floating around in my one herd, but I'm working them back to being grulla, so they're all but gone. But it is a very nice expression.
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

BlackOak2 wrote:
It seems that's all I have anymore. I used to have a couple silver bays floating around in my one herd, but I'm working them back to being grulla, so they're all but gone. But it is a very nice expression.
I'm wondering if the white socks on the bays is linked to the Dun gene (that seems to be the only fit right now). It cannot be linked to the Silver gene as, I have a few non silver bays with socks. So, far I have only seen it on upright manes. I will continue to update this, as I breed more out/train the ones up that I already have. See if I can produce the socks on another color morph.

Flaxen Chestnut with upright mane (with feather points).

MFI American Shetland ♀

MFI American Shetland ♀

More Bay Action

MFI American Shetland ♀

MFI American Shetland ♀

MFI American Shetland ♂

MFI American Shetland ♀

MFI American Shetland ♂

MFI Ima Cute N Cool ♂

MFI American Shetland ♀

MFI American Shetland ♀

Oddball Colors

MFI Silver Wind ♂
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Baranduin Brewster wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
I'm wondering if the white socks on the bays is linked to the Dun gene (that seems to be the only fit right now). It cannot be linked to the Silver gene as, I have a few non silver bays with socks. So, far I have only seen it on upright manes. I will continue to update this, as I breed more out/train the ones up that I already have. See if I can produce the socks on another color morph.
Not linked to the dun gene that I've found. I've been a bit lazy about finishing up my dun study. Although there are dun markings that lighten the legs:
They do not stretch down to the coronet and darken as they extend upward, rather they are lightest on the back of the ankle and darken as they stretch up and down.

This one is an excellent example of flaxen:

And I found that they do not fully encompass the bottom of the leg like pangare:

But with bay's and browns, even then, the pangare has trouble encompassing the leg bottoms:

I think Silverine has been studying this as well...
Here it is, perhaps the first page or two may enlighten you a little more. We have seen it before, but she and I were talking about the plume and not the legs:
http://www.horseworldonline.net/forum/v ... =8&t=10222

However, in your case I'm still convinced it's connected to the silver gene, just a rare expression, and in fact, it could be connected to certain genes directly related to feathering. Like rare on rare, recessive on recessive. We still don't know all the genes this game carries or how they interact. So I could be wrong.
It always comes down to the question of how can it be proved or disproved to be related to one specific gene or much more difficult, the combination of a specific set of genes.
Kingsley
Visit My Farm

Post by Kingsley »

This is fascinating. Thank you everyone for sharing. :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:47 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:47 pm