The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Just curious regarding dun expressions

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Just curious regarding dun expressions

Post by Nazarach »

I had these two pegged as bay dun both

Sunxi

(Sire of Sunxi)
Krukesh

then I noticed recently that Sunxi seems to be a more... red? in comparison to her sire.
So is it still bay or could it be that Krukesh is rather a brown dun? - but then he has no red around his eyes and muzzle and belly just a light sheen so I'm a bit confused with the differences... help please?
Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Just curious regarding dun expressions

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

Nazarach wrote:I had these two pegged as bay dun both

Sunxi

(Sire of Sunxi)
Krukesh

then I noticed recently that Sunxi seems to be a more... red? in comparison to her sire.
So is it still bay or could it be that Krukesh is rather a brown dun? - but then he has no red around his eyes and muzzle and belly just a light sheen so I'm a bit confused with the differences... help please?
He is a bay dun...there are various shades of colors on this game
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

ok, thanks for taking time to answer ^^
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

Is it just my impression or does she have light dun stripes on her legs? and if, where did they come from... it should be the sire and there seem to be really light differences from the (darker / more colorful) legs to the upper body...
so is it possible?

Soft Shell
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nazarach wrote:Is it just my impression or does she have light dun stripes on her legs? and if, where did they come from... it should be the sire and there seem to be really light differences from the (darker / more colorful) legs to the upper body...
so is it possible?
It is dun. Dun can express even lighter than this with no zebra stripes at all.
It also comes from the stud. I don't think I agree calling her a smoky black pearl. I believe she has two creams, so she would be a smoky cream dun.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Nazarach wrote:Is it just my impression or does she have light dun stripes on her legs? and if, where did they come from... it should be the sire and there seem to be really light differences from the (darker / more colorful) legs to the upper body...
so is it possible?
It also comes from the stud. I don't think I agree calling her a smoky black pearl. I believe she has two creams, so she would be a smoky cream dun.
Could as well be ^^' - differentiating between smoky pearl and smoky cream, are there tell-signs?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nazarach wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Could as well be ^^' - differentiating between smoky pearl and smoky cream, are there tell-signs?
Sometimes a cream/pearl appears lighter when next to a double cream, but also sometimes not. The only way to really tell whether its a cream/pearl, is to know that it's already in the bloodline.
For example: When you know a horse you have is a single cream carrier (buckskin, palomino, smoky brown, smoky black), also noted by the dark eyes and dark skin, if you were to breed this single carrier to a suspected pearl carrier (regular bay, black, chestnut or brown coat) and you get a foal that appears to be a double cream, then the suspected pearl carrier is a carrier of a hidden pearl.
You can also attempt to breed a possible cream/pearl horse to a double pearl (pink skin but dark eyes) and if the foal comes out as a double pearl, then the cream/pearl horse definitely has a single pearl gene. However, if the horse throws foals that look like a double cream (or cream/pearl), then it doesn't guarantee the horse is a double cream, it just means that the horse has at least one cream gene (but you already knew that by the color). However, if this same double cream (or possible cream/pearl) horse is crossed with a straight bay, black, chestnut or brown horse, it should always throw a palomino, buckskin, smoky brown or smoky black. If this horse ever throws a horse that has a regular coat, then this foal is a pearl carrier and the cream parent is a cream/pearl.

Does this make sense?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nazarach wrote:
However, as I look for the third time over your filly's pedigree, I notice that she has three buckskins before her. Since at least one of them would look like a double cream, if there was a hidden pearl somewhere, and none of these buckskins are perlino's, then there is no way for the filly, her father or her mother to be pearl carriers.
Umbris, the granddam is an AC arabian and AC arabians aren't pearl carriers. That would have forced Yulis to look like a double cream (cream/pearl).

Palominos, smoky blacks, smoky browns and buckskins cannot be pearl carriers. They'd look like double creams (cream/pearl) if they were.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Nazarach wrote:
However, as I look for the third time over your filly's pedigree, I notice that she has three buckskins before her. Since at least one of them would look like a double cream, if there was a hidden pearl somewhere, and none of these buckskins are perlino's, then there is no way for the filly, her father or her mother to be pearl carriers.
Umbris, the granddam is an AC arabian and AC arabians aren't pearl carriers. That would have forced Yulis to look like a double cream (cream/pearl).

Palominos, smoky blacks, smoky browns and buckskins cannot be pearl carriers. They'd look like double creams (cream/pearl) if they were.
thats right ^^' i was blaming it on the sire as he has smoky black pearl as coloring, but looking at his offspring there seem to be more bucks and cream dillutions - not necessarily cr/prl - guess he rather smoky cream than smoky black pearl :/
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nazarach wrote:
thats right ^^' i was blaming it on the sire as he has smoky black pearl as coloring, but looking at his offspring there seem to be more bucks and cream dillutions - not necessarily cr/prl - guess he rather smoky cream than smoky black pearl :/
Both of his parents are buckskins.
It's a difficult gene to keep and breed, but makes gorgeously colored horses.
If you want to breed into or breed for a new line of pearls, only the NAB in the Adoption Center carry the gene (if you want to start from scratch). To raise your chances of getting pearl carriers, look for the ones that already look like double creams, and perhaps that seem that their color is 'just off', like 'just a little too light'.
If you don't want to start from scratch, there are a few out there already that are double pearl for stud or sale. If you need a bit more help, I can certainly look some up for you (for stud or sale).

Good Luck!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:41 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:41 am