The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Slow varnish?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Slow varnish?

Post by Raikit »

So I have this mare. I know that she's Amber Cream. I didn't see any snowflakes on her as she grew up so I figured that she didn't inherit Lp from her mom. But now that she's older I'm starting to think she did and that her varnishing was just so slow on such a light coat that it took me forever to notice. What do you guys think?

Frost as 3 years:

Frost now:

Elaina Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Slow varnish?

Post by Elaina Brewster »

Raikit wrote:So I have this mare. I know that she's Amber Cream. I didn't see any snowflakes on her as she grew up so I figured that she didn't inherit Lp from her mom. But now that she's older I'm starting to think she did and that her varnishing was just so slow on such a light coat that it took me forever to notice. What do you guys think?

Frost as 3 years:

Frost now:

Honestly, I don't think varnish...Champagne naturally lightens, to varying degrees.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

Elaina Brewster wrote: Honestly, I don't think varnish...Champagne naturally lightens, to varying degrees.
Ah, okay, I didn't know that! Thanks. :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
Elaina Brewster wrote: Honestly, I don't think varnish...Champagne naturally lightens, to varying degrees.
Ah, okay, I didn't know that! Thanks. :D
Don't forget, varnish generally also makes them a bit blotchy:
Older heavy/fast varnish @15 years:
From 1 year:

Older light/slow varnish (I apologize I don't have a better, less-spotted, slow example) @16 years:

From 1 year:

Your key points for varnish will generally be a silvering of the mane and tail, a dark blaze appearing along the nose and a blotchy 'metallic-like' brightening over the same areas as metallic appears, meanwhile a contrast darkening over other areas. Of course, when you have hidden spots, when they start appearing, it gets pretty obvious.
Bays and browns tend to turn gray, black tends to turn silver and chestnuts tend to turn brown and bay.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:24 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:24 pm