The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Unusual Colours Archive

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Re: Unusual Colours Archive

Post by Raikit »

Stormchase Stables wrote: Thank you! Not sure what color he is though o.o
Looks a smoky grulla roan with tiger eye. ;)

Aliw1995 wrote: That Sooty Silver Perlino Dun is Spectacular. I will certainly consider him as a prime breeding prospect if I ever start up my Andalusian line again
Thanks! I was kind of disappointed when he didn't come out grey, but then pleasantly surprised with how pretty he turned out.
Stormchase Stables
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Stormchase Stables »

Raikit wrote:
Stormchase Stables wrote: Thank you! Not sure what color he is though o.o
Looks a smoky grulla roan with tiger eye. ;)

Aliw1995 wrote: That Sooty Silver Perlino Dun is Spectacular. I will certainly consider him as a prime breeding prospect if I ever start up my Andalusian line again
Thanks! I was kind of disappointed when he didn't come out grey, but then pleasantly surprised with how pretty he turned out.
Thank you :D
Aliw1995
Visit My Farm

Post by Aliw1995 »

Stormchase Stables wrote:
Aliw1995 wrote: Loving Domino Dew!
Thank you! Not sure what color he is though o.o
My guess would be grulla with LP colour shifting
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

Aliw1995 wrote: My guess would be grulla with LP colour shifting
He actually has a few different clues that he has cream and roan along with dun and lp. The first is his eye-color. The bright blue eyes indicate the cream gene - they would be green if he did not have cream. Second, if you look very closely at his coat on his barrel you will see what looks like a hair-pattern of white and gray. This indicates the roan. Varnish is much "cloudier" and doesn't have the hair pattern. Dun would not show the hair pattern either.
Aliw1995
Visit My Farm

Post by Aliw1995 »

Raikit wrote:
Aliw1995 wrote: My guess would be grulla with LP colour shifting
He actually has a few different clues that he has cream and roan along with dun and lp. The first is his eye-color. The bright blue eyes indicate the cream gene - they would be green if he did not have cream. Second, if you look very closely at his coat on his barrel you will see what looks like a hair-pattern of white and gray. This indicates the roan. Varnish is much "cloudier" and doesn't have the hair pattern. Dun would not show the hair pattern either.
One cream gene does not affect colour. And LP colour shifting does not necessarily have a cloudy pattern
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Aliw1995 wrote:
Raikit wrote:
One cream gene does not affect colour. And LP colour shifting does not necessarily have a cloudy pattern
Actually, it does for any visible tiger eye that is not also on champagne. Undiluted will be green (like this), one cream will be blue (like this), double-cream or cream-pearl will be the light gray they would be regularly. It also affects the foal-coat on black horses - they will be blue-ish gray rather than red-ish black[/img]. And I believe what Raikit was talking about with leopard varnish is that it usually looks closer to [url=http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1119443]this, which is quite different from the roaning effect seen on the other horse.

For contrast, here is another horse that is roan without Lp:

And here is another horse that is roan that also has Lp:

Baranduin Brewster
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Baranduin Brewster »

Got a couple of Dun variations on Bay (and it seems to affect only Bays)

No Name

Am. Shetland

Less noticable, but there...

MFI Ima Cute N Cool ♂

Just an oddball Perlino, not use to seeing one so yellow

MFI I Don't Know Yet ♂
Mooreland Farms, Inc.
Where the Best, Keeps Getting Better!
Eventing Account
Proud Breeder of: Walkaloosa & Sugarbush Draft
Farm Log, Training, Sales/Silent Auctions
Club Affiliations: Inhand Jumping Club & United Driving Breeders Club