The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Help me Identify my Horses

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Xocea
Visit My Farm

Help me Identify my Horses

Post by Xocea »

• I'm horrible at identifying what colour my horses are. The only one's I'm absolutely certain on are the two adult Palomino's and the Cremello filly and colt as they're pretty basic colours. The rest of my herd I'm unsure with.

First is one the first mare I ever bought.

When I bought her she was listed as a buckskin blanket appaloosa. However her mane says she's also silver, so I listed her as such.
    Now her coat seems to be a bit "shiny" (idk) especially when you look at the photo taken when she was almost two. I'm not sure what that's about. Her mother also has this kind of "shiny" appearance if you take a look at her now and then look at the photo taken when her mom was four.

Now this guy I just recently purchased.

He's listed as a bay roan and I find it incredibly hard to believe that. The only thing I'm sure with him is he's silver and a roan. He also has little white flecks on him which I think is snowflake but it just could be his roan.

Lastly I wondered if anyone could tell me what colour this is on my colt?

It looks almost like a dark buckskin colour. His mother is the "shiny" silver buckskin above.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Help me Identify my Horses

Post by BlackOak2 »

Xocea wrote:
  • I'm horrible at identifying what colour my horses are. The only one's I'm absolutely certain on are the two adult Palomino's and the Cremello filly and colt as they're pretty basic colours. The rest of my herd I'm unsure with.

First is one the first mare I ever bought.
    When I bought her she was listed as a buckskin blanket appaloosa. However her mane says she's also silver, so I listed her as such.
    Now her coat seems to be a bit "shiny" (idk) especially when you look at the photo taken when she was almost two. I'm not sure what that's about. Her mother also has this kind of "shiny" appearance if you take a look at her now and then look at the photo taken when her mom was four.

Now this guy I just recently purchased.
    He's listed as a bay roan and I find it incredibly hard to believe that. The only thing I'm sure with him is he's silver and a roan. He also has little white flecks on him which I think is snowflake but it just could be his roan.

Lastly I wondered if anyone could tell me what colour this is on my colt?
    It looks almost like a dark buckskin colour. His mother is the "shiny" silver buckskin above.
Keep in mind that Lp (leopard complex) changes the appearance of horses as they age. The only time that an Lp horse is 'not' affected by Lp changes is at 1 year (after their foal coat is blown). I say 'not' affected because it is only at 1 year (not 1 year 2 weeks or thereafter) that the changes to a coat from Lp haven't yet started. Lp varnish and bronzing begins to change the coat as quickly as 2 weeks after their first birthday.

Both BottleO'Scotch and Ali are affected by Lp. Keep in mind that Lp can make a horse's mane and tail look like they're affected by silver when in fact it is caused by Lp. But you're correct, both of these horses have silver.

The mare is also a buckskin and has pangare. She has two Lp genes (meaning she'll always pass on one, every one of her offspring will have Lp and will be affected by Lp varnish). So you're correct on the mare.

The stallion is indeed a roan, but his base color is brown, not bay. The yellow coloration along is belly and nose give him away as brown. A bay would have black lower legs. Also, this yellow coloration is also indicative of cream (it would be a brown-red against a near-black body if he didn't have cream). He has one cream gene, so he would be called a smoky brown. I'm also thinking he may carry pangare as well, but I may be wrong on that. He is quite light (a bit more than I'd think for a single dilute) but he cannot be double dilute. His mother is not a cream carrier, his father has a single cream and AC shetlands do not carry pearl. He is also not champagne. Excluding these genes, that leaves only dun and pangare that can cause this type of lightness. Your horse could have either or even both of these.

The foal is most likely a brown cream with Lp and I'd also gamble on pangare. This also means that the mare is a bay with a hidden brown gene. At about 6 months, you should see some snowflakes come through. There is a slim chance that your foal may not carry any pattern genes at all, but it still means he'll varnish.
Xocea
Visit My Farm

Re: Help me Identify my Horses

Post by Xocea »

• Thank you for your help!!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:52 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:52 am