The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Help please

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Defasher03
Visit My Farm

Help please

Post by Defasher03 »

Just bought this mare, can't quite put my finger on what to name her color. I know she has a varnish, appy blanket and her base coat is a buckskin color but she can't be a buckskin because of her mane and tail. Advice?
Divine Moon

I also have this foal I'm not quite sure about

Phantom Topaz
LlamaLlama99
Visit My Farm

Re: Help please

Post by LlamaLlama99 »

Defasher03 wrote:Just bought this mare, can't quite put my finger on what to name her color. I know she has a varnish, appy blanket and her base coat is a buckskin color but she can't be a buckskin because of her mane and tail. Advice?
Divine Moon

Phantom Topaz
Divine Moon

She would be Silver Buckskin with a spotted snow cap
-Buckskin is Bay with one cream. It appears to be a yellowish colour with black points like bay.

-Silver (Z) makes the mane and tail a greyish colour. On Black it’s silver Dapple which makes greyish base and dapples (in game) but on other colours it makes a silvery mane.

-The snow cap is caused by the leopard (LP Switch) gene. She has one copy because of the smoother edges, two copies makes more “rigid” edges.

-she is varnishing too which is also from the LP gene.

-Possible genotype E/? A/? LP/lp Z/z Cr/cr

Phantom Topaz

It’s hard to tell at his age because he is so young and hasn’t shed his foal coat. My first guess would be Smoky Brown (brown with one cream)

-Brown is also called Black and Tan or seal brown. It is caused by the At agouti gene and a E black gene.

- cream is a dilution gene. With two copies it causes pink skin and blue eyes but Phantom Topaz has black skin and brown eyes so he has one copy.

- possible genotype E/? At/a Cr/cr

-brown cream will look similar to this-
LM King of the Ashes

He looked like this as a foal-

This might not be all that accurate but it’s my attempt and I’m quite confident
Defasher03
Visit My Farm

Post by Defasher03 »

Thank you so much! especially for explaining it all to me, I am just now getting into learning about horse color genetics and wow, do I have a lot to learn lol. Thank you!
LlamaLlama99
Visit My Farm

Post by LlamaLlama99 »

Defasher03 wrote:Thank you so much! especially for explaining it all to me, I am just now getting into learning about horse color genetics and wow, do I have a lot to learn lol. Thank you!
No problem! Horse genetics is truly fascinating! I spend a lot of time researching about this kind of thing you should as well it’s a good feeling to know these things you can amaze your friends (I do lol)
LlamaLlama99
Visit My Farm

Post by LlamaLlama99 »

LlamaLlama99 wrote:
Defasher03 wrote:Thank you so much! especially for explaining it all to me, I am just now getting into learning about horse color genetics and wow, do I have a lot to learn lol. Thank you!
No problem! Horse genetics is truly fascinating! I spend a lot of time researching about this kind of thing you should as well it’s a good feeling to know these things you can amaze your friends (I do lol)
http://jenniferhoffman.net/horse/horse- ... 2008000002
I love experimenting on this site try it it’s really fun! It gives info too
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Llama is correct on everything, except for the naming convention on the Lp complex. Snowcap is actually the name for the expression of two genes. A small blanket like your mare has is called a hip blanket. If it were a snowcap it would look like the horse below and be called a lace snowcap:

In general, single expression of the Lp complex is called either blanket or leopard depending on the amount of coverage (hip blanket -> blanket -> extended blanket -> semi-leopard -> near leopard -> false leopard -> leopard) and double expression of Lp is called either snowcap or fewspot, again depending on the amount of coverage, but with fewer gradations (lace snowcap -> snowcap -> near fewspot -> false fewspot -> fewspot).
LlamaLlama99
Visit My Farm

Post by LlamaLlama99 »

Defasher03 wrote:Just bought this mare, can't quite put my finger on what to name her color. I know she has a varnish, appy blanket and her base coat is a buckskin color but she can't be a buckskin because of her mane and tail. Advice?
Divine Moon

Phantom Topaz
Phantom topaz is now older and appears to be smoky brown Dun
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:52 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:52 am