Community Forum

Looking for some help with colors

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
equestrierin
Visit My Farm

Looking for some help with colors

Post by equestrierin »

I'm a new player and I have a few questions about how horse colors are classified here - I don't usually go really in-depth when I talk about horse color in person so I'm still kind of learning how horses are classified here.

I've also looked at a few guides that mention genetics, and I was wondering how people know if the colors are homogeneous or heterogeneous/how they keep track of the genes?

For now I'm just a little confused and I'm really just trying to figure out how this game works, so if someone would be able to help me classify what colors my horses are, that would be very helpful, though if you can answer some of my other questions that would be greatly appreciated, too.

Rambling On Home

Gremlin

Nocte

Luna

The only two that I would classify with any amount of confidence are Gremlin and Luna. I'd classify Gremlin as a dark bay and Luna as a black horse.
Julijohn99
Visit My Farm

Re: Looking for some help with colors

Post by Julijohn99 »

equestrierin wrote:...
For overall color classification, I think everyone uses whatever terms they like best. I typically use this guide when I'm trying to figure out my horses' coloring, because I want to label my horses according to the genes they carry and can pass to foals.

As for identifying your horses genetics, and their hetero/homogeneous genes, it's a matter of looking at what their parents can provide, and what your horse produces in their foals. Some colors, such as Appaloosa or Cream, cause different colorings based on whether they are heterogeneous or homogeneous. Appaloosa is more speckled when homogeneous, while cream causes a horse's coat to be more dilute in coloring than on a single-cream base.

You're correct on your classification of Gremlin and Luna. As for Rambling On Home, I believe he is a Seal Bay Dun, due to the slight brown tone on his nose, but due to how pale the dun makes his coat, he could be a Black Dun, which is also called Grullo. The easiest way to figure that out, due to him having no ancestors, would be to produce more foals and make a guess based on their colorings. Nocte is difficult to tell as well, because he still has his foal coat. He is either Seal Bay Dun or Bay Dun. It'll be easier to determine what coloring he is when he's a year old, as that's when foals on this game shed their foal coat. Nocte is definitely Dun though.
equestrierin
Visit My Farm

Re: Looking for some help with colors

Post by equestrierin »

Thank you so much for the helpful response! I'll definitely have to keep using that guide to help figure out colors.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:08 am

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:08 am