The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Bay, But Not?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
RoyalCrownAcres
Visit My Farm

Bay, But Not?

Post by RoyalCrownAcres »

My horse, Spring Revival, has a bit of an....odd coloring? I thought she was bay because her mane was dark when she was a foal and she has black halfway up her lower legs. As she has gotten older, however her coat has become more Chestnut looking. If someone knows what color she actually is, the genectice behind it, and why she keeps getting lighter, please let me know! I have trying to figure it put but cannot!

Spring Revival
Julijohn99
Visit My Farm

Re: Bay, But Not?

Post by Julijohn99 »

Rosecreekstables wrote:...
You're correct about her being bay. The fading her coat is going through as she gets older is caused by the appaloosa gene. There are separate genes that cause the appaloosa spots, and the expression of those spots. So on HWO, if they have the expression gene, it causes varnishing even when a horse doesn't have the white patches. Whereas if they only have the spots gene, but no expression, the horse would look normal.
RoyalCrownAcres
Visit My Farm

Re: Bay, But Not?

Post by RoyalCrownAcres »

Julijohn99 wrote:
Rosecreekstables wrote:...
You're correct about her being bay. The fading her coat is going through as she gets older is caused by the appaloosa gene. There are separate genes that cause the appaloosa spots, and the expression of those spots. So on HWO, if they have the expression gene, it causes varnishing even when a horse doesn't have the white patches. Whereas if they only have the spots gene, but no expression, the horse would look normal.
Ohhhh. That makes so much sense! Thank you so much!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:19 pm

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:19 pm