Community Forum

Smoky Black?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Smoky Black?

Post by Nazarach »

I have this one horse that I'm very certain is a silver Black.
what I'm not so sure about is if he has a cream - thus making him a silver smoky black. From his foal coat he looks slightly less Brown and more grayish to me but I'm not sure… any advise?
(And I do hope he doesn't get dapples, I like the steely tone he has now, so if someone could guess on that I'd give a mental Cookie as well ;) )

Kekkai
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Smoky Black?

Post by Silverine »

Nazarach wrote:I have this one horse that I'm very certain is a silver Black.
what I'm not so sure about is if he has a cream - thus making him a silver smoky black. From his foal coat he looks slightly less Brown and more grayish to me but I'm not sure… any advise?
(And I do hope he doesn't get dapples, I like the steely tone he has now, so if someone could guess on that I'd give a mental Cookie as well ;) )

Kekkai
His sire is double-cream, so your boy has to carry cream.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

Silverine wrote:
Nazarach wrote:I have this one horse that I'm very certain is a silver Black.

Kekkai
His sire is double-cream, so your boy has to carry cream.
Wasn't sure About his Sires color, so many thanks for Clearing that up ^^ (Any idea About the dapples?)
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Nazarach wrote: Wasn't sure About his Sires color, so many thanks for Clearing that up ^^ (Any idea About the dapples?)
His sire is a bit of a fake out because he looks like he gets his dapples from his silver. What is actually happening is that he is a silver brown cream with dappling from sooty. (The sire's sire is a buckskin rather than a bay - he has super clear sooty dapples.) As for dapples, he's likely to get some sort of dappling from his dad. At this point I'm going to say that if he also dapples because of the silver it will be rather faint. Usually the brighter dapples start showing by one year.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

Silverine wrote: His sire is a bit of a fake out because he looks like he gets his dapples from his silver. What is actually happening is that he is a silver brown cream with dappling from sooty. (The sire's sire is a buckskin rather than a bay - he has super clear sooty dapples.) As for dapples, he's likely to get some sort of dappling from his dad. At this point I'm going to say that if he also dapples because of the silver it will be rather faint. Usually the brighter dapples start showing by one year.
I didn't even know that sooty could cause dappling ^^' so normal dapples would be brighter/more white?
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Nazarach wrote: I didn't even know that sooty could cause dappling ^^' so normal dapples would be brighter/more white?
Silver dappling is lighter than the base coat, whereas dapples caused by sooty are the same color or slightly darker than the base while the surrounding coat is darkened by the sooty.
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

Silverine wrote: Silver dappling is lighter than the base coat, whereas dapples caused by sooty are the same color or slightly darker than the base while the surrounding coat is darkened by the sooty.
Well, isn't that nice...even more false friends as gene-indicators to be cautious about <.< many thanks for explaining so thoroughly - that makes one mental Cookie to Silverine xD

And i noticed when typing out the coat Color that he is a tripple S - Sooty Silver Smoky Black ^^'
Last edited by Nazarach on May 20th, 2018, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Nazarach wrote: Well, isn't that nice...even more false friends as gene-indicators to be cautious about <.< many thanks for explaining so thoroughly - that makes one mental Cookie to Silverine xD
Haha, any time. I love getting into genetics. :)
Nazarach
Visit My Farm

Post by Nazarach »

It's not exactly a question to her, but I think this combination of Smoky Grulla with dapples looks kind of moldy - not sure if i like it or hate it, it is just somehow curious I guess ^^' (Like those fluffy poisonous mushrooms you sometimes see in forests)

Perfect Curse

(E_ a/a Cr/n D_ Z/z)

So, to the question in case; some of her relatives have silver, but when (I think it must be because of that) there is the possibility of a double silver they seem to be dappled; so how exactly are the possibilities for silver blacks to also be dappled or not? I like the combination of silver and black but moreso without dapples - any insights?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Nazarach wrote:It's not exactly a question to her, but I think this combination of Smoky Grulla with dapples looks kind of moldy - not sure if i like it or hate it, it is just somehow curious I guess ^^' (Like those fluffy poisonous mushrooms you sometimes see in forests)

(E_ a/a Cr/n D_ Z/z)

So, to the question in case; some of her relatives have silver, but when (I think it must be because of that) there is the possibility of a double silver they seem to be dappled; so how exactly are the possibilities for silver blacks to also be dappled or not? I like the combination of silver and black but moreso without dapples - any insights?
From my work with the silver gene, blacks that get the dapple are not connected to whether they have one silver gene or two.

I've also experienced a random offering of heavy dapples to very light dapples to 'nonexistent' dapples (I did a study for myself that I posted for the community, I have a link in my log). However, I do believe that you can produce a silver black line without dapples if you work toward it by breeding minimum dappled horses to others with the same look. Just like we can have a line of very brightly colored bays or dark colored chestnuts.

Also, you're correct about her color.
Become a Patron!