The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Grey on Classic Champagne Dun?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Grey on Classic Champagne Dun?

Post by Malakai10 »

I've called him a grey on classic champagne dun, but I'm not sure if it's right.

RSÆ White Siege

Close up of his head:

I could also use help with this guy:
RSÆ Razzled Highlight

http://img.horseworldonline.net/gallery ... db3fe4.png
paddlepoplion
Visit My Farm

Re: Grey on Classic Champagne Dun?

Post by paddlepoplion »

They're both gorgeous, I'd say the first one is a Bay Pearl / Wild Bay Pearl, and the second one is a Classic Champagne. Hope that helps! :D
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

paddlepoplion wrote:They're both gorgeous, I'd say the first one is a Bay Pearl / Wild Bay Pearl, and the second one is a Classic Champagne. Hope that helps! :D
Thanks for helping! The only thing that stops the first guy from being a bay pearl is that his eyes are blue and neither of his parents are tiger-eyed and he can't be a cream pearl because he's too dark and too 'silvery' for lack of a better word. Still, thanks!
paddlepoplion
Visit My Farm

Post by paddlepoplion »

Hmm, they're both interesting and gorgeous!
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

The first one is just classic champagne dun. Horses with champagne are born with blue eyes and then the eyes shift in colour to become dark brown (unless they have any tiger eye genes).
The second foal is classic champagne and will definitely go grey when he gets older. The first foal will probably also be grey but it is much easier to wait for a horse to turn 1 year before deciding exactly what colour a horse will be since the foal coat can look very different from their adult coat.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai10 »

Totina wrote:The first one is just classic champagne dun. Horses with champagne are born with blue eyes and then the eyes shift in colour to become dark brown (unless they have any tiger eye genes).
The second foal is classic champagne and will definitely go grey when he gets older. The first foal will probably also be grey but it is much easier to wait for a horse to turn 1 year before deciding exactly what colour a horse will be since the foal coat can look very different from their adult coat.
Thanks! They're both greys. One of the colts has such a light coat, I was wondering if he has a cream gene.

Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

If you look on the top of his back you can see a darker line, which is a clear indication of dun. Dun makes the coat lighter and the darker line on the back is the best way of telling if a horse is dun or not. He has no cream gene, if he had the freckles around his muzzle would be much lighter.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:22 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:22 am