Community Forum

What Colour Is This TB/Lipizzaner?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Devolare
Visit My Farm

Re: What Colour Is This TB/Lipizzaner?

Post by Devolare »

ThorneWyvern wrote: Thank you very much for the help! Definitely going to have to work on recognizing a lot of colours, I'm used to other sites just telling you the colour. Trying to figure out the colour makes it more fun for me, as well as a little frustrating. XD

Looking at the studs baby pictures I can definitely see the Silver. However I'm still a little confused with how Silver interacts with lighter horses. It looks like Silver can range from grey to more of a white? Does the number of Silver genes effect this?

Looking at Child of the Desert's pedigree, her stud's dam is the only one that could have the Silver gene.
Adi Gallia

And I assume, even though I can't see it, her stud has it because his stud seems to have it.
Sea Salt

Sea Salt's stud.
Gold n' White

Silver can be a pain in the butt for a number of reasons. If it's on a Brown or Bay horse, it'll just appear to give the horse a lighter mane/tail. The horse could then have the sooty gene usually makes it look all, well, sooty or grey. If it's on a black horse, you'll get a silver dapple or silver black.

I haven't quite figured out how creams/pearls work on silver black horses since those seem to give interesting results...

Basically, if you have dapples and there isn't some hardcore sooty going on**, then the horse has the silver gene.

If it's on a chestnut base, however, you won't be able to see it at all. It's just not visible. Therefore, you could have some sneaky silver hanging around and not even know it. Kind of like how flaxen is only visible on chestnut base horses and you can't tell if it's on any other kind.

In your horse's case, I'd say yes. Adi Gallia would be the one to have the silver gene. I think I see dapples on that tiny image, so I'd certainly guess silver and maybe sooty could have become a factor in making the mane/tail darker just like my silver dapple. From there, it could be either side that was the culprit if the mother is a cremello (ie chestnut based) as is claimed. I'm a little too lazy to dig more into that one and the image is too small for me to see. x'D

** what I mean by hardcore sooty, is that you can get dapples without the silver gene, but you need "sooty dapples." Like

It's super dark from the sooty and also it's on a chestnut base so not the silver gene.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Re: What Colour Is This TB/Lipizzaner?

Post by Raikit »

ThorneWyvern wrote:
Devolare wrote:Okay, so I don't think it's amber cream at all. I don't think she even has the cream gene. Her foal that's in question has it's cream gene due to the father, not her.

Now based on my experience, champagne is kind of funny, especially with other modifiers. From what I can see, you've got metallic (from training) and dun (from her mother at least because it's the easiest to spot). Dun tends to make horses with champagne a lot lighter. Nyraeia had to explain this to me a while back.

Even tho she's got some sooty going down, that can be seen most predominantly on her butt, the two horse's 0.54 year old gallery pictures almost match. She might be a shade or two darker, but that can be contributed to her sooty and the fact that duns can vary in general based on how easily they can be seen. If you look at the cream baby's pictures (that was previously mentioned) at that age, the baby was a lot lighter.

And she most certainly has the Silver gene. Her father had it, you can see it in his baby pictures. He just had a sooty thing going on.
Thank you very much for the help! Definitely going to have to work on recognizing a lot of colours, I'm used to other sites just telling you the colour. Trying to figure out the colour makes it more fun for me, as well as a little frustrating. XD

Looking at the studs baby pictures I can definitely see the Silver. However I'm still a little confused with how Silver interacts with lighter horses. It looks like Silver can range from grey to more of a white? Does the number of Silver genes effect this?

Looking at Child of the Desert's pedigree, her stud's dam is the only one that could have the Silver gene.
Adi Gallia

And I assume, even though I can't see it, her stud has it because his stud seems to have it.
Sea Salt

Sea Salt's stud.
Gold n' White
Sea Salt's sire is a palomino, so if the sire does have silver (which after looking through his pedigree I highly doubt) he will not show it. Silver does not affect the color of chestnut-based horses. He has a white mane, tail, and feathers because of his cream gene, not because of silver. Sea Salt's dam, however, is a likely candidate to carry silver. It's hard to tell because her lineage is so light.
Become a Patron!