The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

What colour is this filly?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
regz46
Visit My Farm

What colour is this filly?

Post by regz46 »

Hi guys,

Anyone know what colour is my horse? She seems to have some little spots and almost like 3 stripes near her neck.

Regz's Lil Red Riding Hood

Any advice? Thanks!
Corvus
Visit My Farm

Re: What colour is this filly?

Post by Corvus »

The stripes on her neck and on her legs are due to the dun gene, and she appears to have a base color of chestnut, which makes her a red dun. The spots are leopard genes, which I don't know much about. I believe the small speckles are called snowflake, but not really sure on that.
regz46
Visit My Farm

Post by regz46 »

Corvus wrote:The stripes on her neck and on her legs are due to the dun gene, and she appears to have a base color of chestnut, which makes her a red dun. The spots are leopard genes, which I don't know much about. I believe the small speckles are called snowflake, but not really sure on that.
I see. Thanks Corvus!
ThorneWyvern
Visit My Farm

Post by ThorneWyvern »

I believe those spots are actually Birdcatcher Spots, but everyone here seems to call them snowflakes.

Horse with Snowflakes (As well as Blanket)

Two different horses with Birdcatcher Spots

Snowflakes to my understanding are actually an Appaloosa gene (meaning in Appys and Appy decedents), and most (if not all) Snowflakes have solid spots and more roan-ish, faded spots. While Flycatcher spots are found in more breeds and all completely solid, and tend to have less volume of spots.

Again, every time I see Birdcatcher Spots on this site people call them Snowflakes, so it doesn't really matter. They just technically appear to be Birdcatcher Spots, unless I'm missing something. I'm still pretty new here.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

ThorneWyvern wrote:I believe those spots are actually Birdcatcher Spots, but everyone here seems to call them snowflakes.

Snowflakes to my understanding are actually an Appaloosa gene (meaning in Appys and Appy decedents), and most (if not all) Snowflakes have solid spots and more roan-ish, faded spots. While Flycatcher spots are found in more breeds and all completely solid, and tend to have less volume of spots.

Again, every time I see Birdcatcher Spots on this site people call them Snowflakes, so it doesn't really matter. They just technically appear to be Birdcatcher Spots, unless I'm missing something. I'm still pretty new here.
'Birdcatcher spots' are not yet implemented into the game. I do not know if or when they may be. The reason they're all called snowflakes (or mostly called snowflakes) is because these white flecks are in fact caused by the appaloosa (patterning) gene. You can breed a horse with appaloosa patterning, with snowflake or with both. They are handled on this game as separate genes (thus far from what I've seen and learned).
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

BlackOak2 wrote:
ThorneWyvern wrote:I believe those spots are actually Birdcatcher Spots, but everyone here seems to call them snowflakes.

'Birdcatcher spots' are not yet implemented into the game. I do not know if or when they may be. The reason they're all called snowflakes (or mostly called snowflakes) is because these white flecks are in fact caused by the appaloosa (patterning) gene. You can breed a horse with appaloosa patterning, with snowflake or with both. They are handled on this game as separate genes (thus far from what I've seen and learned).
Just as BlackOak2 said, the white spots on horses in the game come from the appaloosa gene. I also want to add that since they are connected to the LP gene (appaloosa pattern gene) all horses with snowflakes will show various amount of varnish roan as they grow older.
ThorneWyvern
Visit My Farm

Post by ThorneWyvern »

BlackOak2 wrote:'Birdcatcher spots' are not yet implemented into the game. I do not know if or when they may be. The reason they're all called snowflakes (or mostly called snowflakes) is because these white flecks are in fact caused by the appaloosa (patterning) gene. You can breed a horse with appaloosa patterning, with snowflake or with both. They are handled on this game as separate genes (thus far from what I've seen and learned).
Totina wrote:Just as BlackOak2 said, the white spots on horses in the game come from the appaloosa gene. I also want to add that since they are connected to the LP gene (appaloosa pattern gene) all horses with snowflakes will become varnish roan as they grow older.
Thanks for the info guys! I just assumed they were Birdcatcher spots because they were appearing in some horses that didn't appear to have any Appy genes in their pedigree, or rather as far as I was willing to dive into their pedigrees. XD

Are their any posts about markings? There are a number of guides for colouration, which include some markings, but no guides seem to include Appy markings or pinto markings (which I'm guessing are not implemented yet?).
Blue Rose Ranch
Visit My Farm

Post by Blue Rose Ranch »

ThorneWyvern wrote:Are their any posts about markings? There are a number of guides for colouration, which include some markings, but no guides seem to include Appy markings or pinto markings (which I'm guessing are not implemented yet?).
There's an Appaloosa Breeding Guide from when it was added that gives an overview about the genes.
ThorneWyvern
Visit My Farm

Post by ThorneWyvern »

Blue Rose Ranch wrote: There's an Appaloosa Breeding Guide from when it was added that gives an overview about the genes.
Thank you! I didn't think to look in Announcements. ^.^"
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:40 am

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:40 am