The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

what color is My Akhal-Teke Filly?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Majick
Visit My Farm

what color is My Akhal-Teke Filly?

Post by Majick »

I was trying for a different breed cross and got her? I'm new to the game, and got my crosses mixed up.

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/724092
Andraste
Visit My Farm

Re: what color is My Akhal-Teke Filly?

Post by Andraste »

Looks like she's a Metallic Smoky Cream (black plus two cream genes) to me. I would keep an eye on her as she ages since it looks like her sire has the sooty dapple genes, so she may develop sooty dapples them, too.

Her dam looks like a smoky cream varnish roan with appaloosa pattern (even though she was labeled as "champagne", I don't see the freckling), which is where this fill would get the black gene from. It also looks like her mother has tiger eye, which means this filly would have the potential to throw lighter eyed foals as well when matched with the right stallion.
Majick
Visit My Farm

Post by Majick »

thanks, as I was puzzled. So smokey cream, I'll add that to her page as well as the sooty if she in hear-its them .
Andraste
Visit My Farm

Post by Andraste »

Ugh, I had a brain fart. Sooty doesn't show up on black-base coats (like her's), and at any rate I'm suspecting her sire is really a silver smokey cream - hence the dappling. Otherwise, I'm happy to help! :D
Malakai20
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai20 »

Andraste wrote:Ugh, I had a brain fart. Sooty doesn't show up on black-base coats (like her's), and at any rate I'm suspecting her sire is really a silver smokey cream - hence the dappling. Otherwise, I'm happy to help! :D
She doesn't carry silver. Her sire's colouration is caused by sooty - he is a cremello and thus silver does not show up. Plus, he can't be silver since Turkmenes don't carry that gene.
Andraste
Visit My Farm

Post by Andraste »

Malakai20 wrote:
Andraste wrote:Ugh, I had a brain fart. Sooty doesn't show up on black-base coats (like her's), and at any rate I'm suspecting her sire is really a silver smokey cream - hence the dappling. Otherwise, I'm happy to help! :D
She doesn't carry silver. Her sire's colouration is caused by sooty - he is a cremello and thus silver does not show up. Plus, he can't be silver since Turkmenes don't carry that gene.
Silver is a dominant gene, so that's not really a gene that's "carried" anyway. Even if the sire had silver, she definitely does not, though I believe you about Turkmene horses not having the silver gene. I guess I jumped to that because she's definitely black based, and there has been a time where I saw a horse I thought was sooty dapple cremello and it turned out to be a silver smokey cream. Thanks for the further clarification though!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:03 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:03 pm