Community Forum

Strange Pearl

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
JJay
Visit My Farm

Strange Pearl

Post by JJay »

Any guesses? Obviously a Pearl...But what else?
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Re: Strange Pearl

Post by Malakai10 »

JJay wrote:Any guesses? Obviously a Pearl...But what else?
Are you sure that horse isn't a classic cream?
JJay
Visit My Farm

Post by JJay »

I thought pearls had dark eyes while creams had blue?
Andraste
Visit My Farm

Post by Andraste »

This is a little more difficult since we just have the one picture and can't inspect the horse's pedigree (looking at the parents can sometimes help determine colors).

From what I can see though, this horse is either Classic Cream (Black + Cream + Champagne), Sable Cream (Brown + Cream + Champagne), or Amber Champagne (Bay + Cream + Champagne). Cream only lightens the eyes when there are two cream genes present - otherwise all palominos and buckskins would have light colored eyes. ;)

As far as I know, pearl doesn't effect eye color anymore than cream does. To simplify it, the main difference between pearl and cream is that cream is dominant (one gene is enough to show up) while pearl is recessive (need to have two pearls or pearl and a cream gene for it to show up).

The fact that this horse has dark eyes with the champagne gene indicates, to the best of my knowledge, that it is not a carrier of the tiger eye gene.
Malakai20
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Malakai20 »

JJay wrote:I thought pearls had dark eyes while creams had blue?
Pearls do have dark eyes. Only double cream have blue eyes; green eyes if the horse has the tiger eye gene.

Your horse is too a=dark for pearl and looks more like a classic cream, AKA: one cream and one or two copies of champagne. Take a close-up picture of the horse's muzzle; if there are dark spots then your horse is a classic cream.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:50 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:50 am