Community Forum

Long mane and tail gene?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
ImpressiveInstant
Visit My Farm

Long mane and tail gene?

Post by ImpressiveInstant »

Hi everyone,
I swear I saw this already in someones' topic, but for the life of me I cant find it again!!
I am breeding Turkmene horses and have noticed there are Bay, Black, Chestnut and Cream versions all with short manes and tails. However, I came across http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/506335 this dude here with Long mane and tail?! Is this something the game generates at random or is it something I could breed into my bloodlines? I think it looks pretty cool :)

Also I found this http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/568164 horse. Is he a Black based double cream??
Thank you for taking the time to read this and reply :)
~Bonnie aka ImpressiveInstant
Andraste
Visit My Farm

Re: Long mane and tail gene?

Post by Andraste »

Yes, you can totally breed longer hair into your Turkmene horses. Don't be discouraged if you breed to long haired stallions and the foals come out short haired, since it's recessive it means the foals would be carriers. So breeding a carrier to a carrier has a 25% chance of a longer haired horse.

Depending on your preferences, you can also breed Turkmene horses with thicker hair, if you wish. Like short hair, thick hair is recessive, so it'll take some time for the genes to show up in your herd. The only catch here is you'd have to breed out to a different breed that has fluffier hair (e.g., forest horse, shetland, etc.) to get the genes in, then breed them back into full Turkmene horses. (Hopefully that made sense)

As for the second horse, yes, it has a black base with two cream genes. :)
ImpressiveInstant
Visit My Farm

Thank you Andraste!
Luce Nivea
Visit My Farm

Post by Luce Nivea »

From breeding my horses, it seems to me that the long hair gene isn't recessive, and the short hair gene isn't dominant either. I forget what the exact term is, but it seems to be codominant (or Incomplete dominance, or it's called something else - correct me if I'm wrong I forgot the correct term). For example, if I had a horse with the short hair gene - lets call it C - and a horse with a long hair gene, the long hair gene wouldn't be c as in recessive, it would probably be something along the lines of a different gene, lets call it B.
So we have two genes C and B. If I had a horse that carried CC (a short haired horse) and a horse who carried long hair (BB) I would get foals who would only be able to have the genes BC and they would only be medium-haired horses. I have a few examples
I have this horse who only carries the short-hair gene.
LIN Corbinian

and I bred him multiple times with this long-haired horse
LIN Piper's Tangent

In theory, if the short haired gene was only Dominant and the Long Haired gene was only recessive, then I should be getting only short haired horses right? But since the genes are [probably] codominant, then I would only get medium haired horses from the pairing, and I have had only that.
LIN Illuminated Star

LIN Zephyrus Winds

LIN Silvery Mountain

LIN Fallow Whisper

So the percentages that if you cross a long-haired horse, BB, with a short-haired horse, CC, then you will only get BC.
Long hair - BB
Short Hair - CC
Medium Hair - BC
BBxCC - BC 100%
BBxBC - BB 50% and BC 50%
BCxBC - BB 25% and BC 50% and CC 25%
BCxCC - BC 50% and CC 50%
CCxCC - CC 100%
BBxBB - BB 100%

So, if you were to breed that long hair with your short hair horses, you would only get medium haired horses. I do believe that my theory is correct, but feel free to check what I am saying.
ImpressiveInstant
Visit My Farm

Ahhh thank you!! That is extremely helpful! *Runs off to find a long haired mare*
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:14 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:14 pm