The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

What Color is this Stallion?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
elizabeth1
Visit My Farm

What Color is this Stallion?

Post by elizabeth1 »

Amazing Dreamer

What color is this stallion? Im thinking about breeding him but wasn't sure what color to call him.
AlphaDelta
Visit My Farm

Re: What Color is this Stallion?

Post by AlphaDelta »

I'd say Dark Red Dun or Grullo (because I can see faint zebra stripe-like bars on his upper front legs) with Blanket Spotted. I had a look at his parents and his dam's parents and it seemed about right so that is my guess. :)
AlphaDelta
elizabeth1
Visit My Farm

Post by elizabeth1 »

AlphaDelta wrote:I'd say Dark Red Dun or Grullo (because I can see faint zebra stripe-like bars on his upper front legs) with Blanket Spotted. I had a look at his parents and his dam's parents and it seemed about right so that is my guess. :)
AlphaDelta

Thank you.... This one was a tough one.
Devolare
Visit My Farm

Post by Devolare »

elizabeth1 wrote:
AlphaDelta wrote:I'd say Dark Red Dun or Grullo (because I can see faint zebra stripe-like bars on his upper front legs) with Blanket Spotted. I had a look at his parents and his dam's parents and it seemed about right so that is my guess. :)
AlphaDelta

Thank you.... This one was a tough one.
It is neither of those. It's a bay base, you can see it before the horse started to varnish due to the spotting. So it's not chestnut (dark red) and not black (grullo). The color of the horse is a bay dun with a blanket and snowflakes.
elizabeth1
Visit My Farm

Post by elizabeth1 »

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/820008

Silent thy Imagination

This was his offspring what color would she be considered? Because he throws a lot of random colors and patterns.....
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

elizabeth1 wrote:http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/820008

Silent thy Imagination

This was his offspring what color would she be considered? Because he throws a lot of random colors and patterns.....
This filly is a red dun with an appaloosa blanket.

As far as you boy throwing random colors and patterns - he only has two offspring so far that I can see and both are chestnut-based appys. The first (the one pictured) also inherited his dun gene and the second has tiger eye. From these two foals I can guess that his genes look something like this:

Agouti: A/?
Extension: E/e
Dun: D/d
Tiger Eye: t/t
Leopard: Lp/lp
PATN

We don't know his second agouti because the only foals available to look at are chestnut-based and their agouti genes do not affect their phenotype. We can conclude that he is heterozygous for extension because his chestnut-based foals have to be e/e and one of those little e's had to come from him. We can conclude he is heterozygous for dun because his second foal is not dun and is therefore d/d. Again, one of those little d's had to come from your boy. Tiger eye is a recessive gene, and since your boy shows it (and does not have the champagne gene) we can conclude that he is homozygous for it. (Your mare is a carrier, hence why she does not show it but her foal by your stallion does.) The leopard is guess on my part. I couldn't find any visible Lp on his sire's side so I'm just guessing that he only has the one. And he has to have PATN in order to express his Lp.

I left cream, champagne, silver, and pangare off the list because he does not have them so they should not affect the appearance of his foals unless the dam does.

Edited to add: The only pattern that any horse is capable of throwing at this point is the leopard/appaloosa pattern. It varies in expression so can seem like your horse is throwing all sorts of weird things, but it is always some varied expression of the same thing.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:49 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:49 am