The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Interesting cream dilute

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Rossellini
Visit My Farm

Interesting cream dilute

Post by Rossellini »

Dixieland Glow

This Akhal-Teke was born with visible agouti on legs, definitely bay-based. Mom was palomino, dad was black (possibly smoky black). I thought he had pearl because of the pink skin but lack of blue eyes. I read in the pictorial guide from Totina that his eye color could be a heterozygous tiger-eye, but neither parent has champagne so that makes no sense, unless this is homozygous tiger eye that ended up being very brown (I have a foal with clear tiger eye and this doesn't look like it). Pretty sure he has sooty.

My guesses:
1. standard buckskin
2. buckskin pearl
3. perlino
4. perlino and pearl.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Re: Interesting cream dilute

Post by Raikit »

Rossellini wrote:Dixieland Glow

This Akhal-Teke was born with visible agouti on legs, definitely bay-based. Mom was palomino, dad was black (possibly smoky black). I thought he had pearl because of the pink skin but lack of blue eyes. I read in the pictorial guide from Totina that his eye color could be a heterozygous tiger-eye, but neither parent has champagne so that makes no sense, unless this is homozygous tiger eye that ended up being very brown (I have a foal with clear tiger eye and this doesn't look like it). Pretty sure he has sooty.

My guesses:
1. standard buckskin
2. buckskin pearl
3. perlino
4. perlino and pearl.
He looks like a sooty perlino to me. Your boy's sire is a smoky black grullo (you can tell from the blue-ish baby coat in his baby picture, pure blacks are reddish; and sorry, missed his dun at first) and his dam is a palomino so neither of them would be able to hide pearl. As for eye color, if you look at this thread I actually just had an issue with eye color myself. XD Totina explains near the end that anything that isn't clearly dark or clearly tiger eye is considered blue (like my girl's gray eyes).

Also, just a note that a horse can not be both double cream and pearl. Cream and pearl are located at the same spot on the chromosome so you can have:
-0 cream, 0 pearl
-1 cream, 0 pearl
-0 cream, 1 pearl
-1 cream, 1 pearl
-2 cream, 0 pearl
-0 cream, 2 pearl

But you can't have:
-2 cream, 1 pearl
-1 cream, 2 pearl
-2 cream, 2 pearl
Rossellini
Visit My Farm

Re: Interesting cream dilute

Post by Rossellini »

Also, just a note that a horse can not be both double cream and pearl. Cream and pearl are located at the same spot on the chromosome so you can have:
-0 cream, 0 pearl
-1 cream, 0 pearl
-0 cream, 1 pearl
-1 cream, 1 pearl
-2 cream, 0 pearl
-0 cream, 2 pearl

But you can't have:
-2 cream, 1 pearl
-1 cream, 2 pearl
-2 cream, 2 pearl
Did not know! There was a *cough*game in my past*cough* where it was possible to have those combinations, so I was under the impression that was a possibility. That makes everything so much less of a headache. Thanks friendo!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:50 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:50 am