The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

A little help?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
ohindie
Visit My Farm

A little help?

Post by ohindie »

OĦ Ocean Fizz

OĦ Tinker Bell

silver brown cream champagne?
Last edited by ohindie on Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Malakai10
Visit My Farm

Re: Colour Help?

Post by Malakai10 »

ohindie wrote:
If anyone would like to offer their expertise, as colour definitely isn't my strong point, it would be greatly appreciated. Some horses have already been colour typed with colours that are most likely wrong, but like I said, colour isn't my strong point and I'm fairly new, so please bare with me.

DISCLAIMER: I don't know why the picture of the two mares at the bottom won't show up, but their links still work fine.
Gold champagne

Silver brown cream

Smoky cream (I'm not terribly sure on this one. Only thing is that she can't be pearl.)

Grulla/grullo

Cremello champagne snowflake

Cremello champagne snowflake

Grey on amber cream

Tiger eye classic champagne

Amber cream

Amber cream

Horse deleted

Horse deleted
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

ohindie wrote:If anyone would like to offer their expertise, as colour definitely isn't my strong point, it would be greatly appreciated. Some horses have already been colour typed with colours that are most likely wrong, but like I said, colour isn't my strong point and I'm fairly new, so please bare with me.
So Phantasm is actually silver classic cream. Her sire is so light as to make it hard to tell what his base color is, but we can be certain that he has two creams and at least one champagne. Therefore, because Phantasm's sire is black with no cream, Phantasm must have one cream. The freckles on her muzzle show that she has champagne. Therefore, if she was chestnut based she should be a gold cream. However gold creams have bright white manes and tails (like their palomino non-champagne counterparts) while your mare has an off-white mane. Therefore she must be black-based with silvering. The gold coloration is rather typical of diluted black + silver. The mealy pangare-like markings are also somewhat typical of silver on a black coat. So she is black + silver + champagne + cream. I have a similar looking stallion who is actually silver smoky black pearl. My boy was slightly more greenish and less gold than yours because of the pearl but gives an idea of what the dilutions look like together, with his pearl behaving similarly to your girl's champagne:
(And yes, silver does often cause dapples - but not always.)

Faithful Montana is actually perlino. She's gained a lot of sooty with age so she appears darker.

Brings me on to my next point that Prince Montague is actually amber cream (buckskin champagne) with snowflakes.

Ghost Light is also amber cream/buckskin champagne.

Based on the baby picture Lightning Spirit is only grey over amber champagne rather than grey over amber cream.

Snow Splinter I agree with Malakai10.

Apparition is the same as Phantasm, silver classic cream.
ohindie
Visit My Farm

Post by ohindie »

Thank you both for your help, I would never have guessed some of those, it's quite the art to learn to recognise them huh :)
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

ohindie wrote:Thank you both for your help, I would never have guessed some of those, it's quite the art to learn to recognise them huh :)
For some of the complex ones - like your guys :) - it really is. Single dilutions are usually easy enough to recognize but things can get pretty complicated when you start putting them all together.
ohindie
Visit My Farm

Post by ohindie »

Raikit wrote:PING
Malakai10 wrote:PING
Thought you guys could possibly help me out with this new bunch xD
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

ohindie wrote:
Raikit wrote:PING
Malakai10 wrote:PING
Thought you guys could possibly help me out with this new bunch xD
Young Faithful looks like Sable Cream Pearl (brown + cream + pearl + champagne).

Correct on Elvenking and Third Eye.

Ritual is definitely same variation of Classic Champagne (black + champagne) with tiger eye. It's possible he is also pearl but it's difficult to tell. Totina may be able to weigh in more on him.

Moon Energy looks more like a Sable Champagne to me.

Phanta is Classic Silver. (Black + silver + champagne)

Anglo Pearl is Amber Silver. (Bay + silver + champagne)

White Faithful is Amber Cream Silver. (Bay + cream + silver + champagne)

Birdie Powder has me stumped as well. Maybe Totina can check him out, too.

Totina wrote:""
Any input on this one and this one? Feel free to correct me on the others as well.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Re: Few Yearlings

Post by Totina »

The most important thing to keep in mind is that foals look very different from adult horses and it is sometimes impossible to determine with 100% certainty what colour the horse is before it has turned 1 year. Some combinations of genes look pretty much the same when they are foals but look different from each other when they are grown up.
If you want the best help possible to determine what colour a horse is you should wait until the horse is at least 1 year old when it has shed its foal coat.

For example, all foals, except black based and greying foals, will show a mealy pattern. Only after the horse is 1 year old you can know for sure if the horse is keeping the mealy pattern or not (and if it does the horse is mealy). Foals are often much lighter than adult horses, no matter what colour they have, which also makes it much more difficult to separate the coat colours from each other if they have similar genes.

The only way to actually have a good clue of what colour a foal has is to have 100% certainty on the parents' coat colours and any genes that they might be hiding.

I am currently working with my colour guide and adding pictures of horses in the dropbox, including foal pictures, to make it easy to demonstrate how similar some foal colours are to each other and how they look different from their adult counterparts.

Looking at the horses that have been linked in this thread I will give my comments on them in a second post here where I explain the process of how I determine a horse's cooat colour.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

OĦ Young Faithful - Silver Brown Cream Champagne
*Brown based for sure since he has the characteristic brownish areas around the muzzle and near the legs under the stomach.
*Freckled muzzle = champagne. Light eyes = not single cream or double pearl. Eyes would be green if double tiger eye or brown-green/yellow-green if single tiger eye on single cream. Single tiger eye is not visible on champagne when the horse also has double cream.
*Both parents look double cream, the sire with additional champagne and silver. The previous stated facts points toward double cream or cream + pearl. Looking further back in the pedigree it doesn't look like there are any pearl carriers, so most likely just double cream.
*Too light coloured to be brown cream champagne. Add the silver gene from the sire and problem is solved.

OĦ Elvenking - Classic Cream Dun
*Dark eyes = not double cream, cream+pearl or tiger eye. (Champagne horses are always born with blue/grey eyes that turn dark when they get older if they don't have double cream, cream+pearl or tiger eye as well.)
*Pale freckles around the muzzle = champagne + cream.
*Both parents are black based (on the sire's side, keep in mind that horses in the game that look pure white are always black based. Silver, champagne and double cream/cream+pearl only creates that white effect on black based horses.)
*Too dark to be chestnut based so with both black based parents he is definitely black based as well.
*Has a little greenish tint to the coat which is a sign of the dun gene on champagne+cream horses and since the dam is dun this is very much possible.
*No silver gene from the sire, otherwise he would have been much lighter, especially the mane and tail would look more like silver.

OĦ Third Eye - Silver Smoky Cream Champagne
*You got this one right. As mentioned in the text for Elvenking, the pure white effect with light coloured eyes is caused by silver, double cream (or cream+pearl) and champagne on a black based horse. Then there are the possibilities of dun and roan on such white horses but it is pretty much impossible to see and can only be tested through breeding with non-roan and non-dun horses.

OĦ Ritual - Classic champagne
*Classic champagne don't look that much different as foals, except for the eyes. If they have any tiger eye genes it doesn't show on champagne foals until they are closer to 1 year old. This colt does not have tiger eye though since his eyes are turning dark.

OĦ Moon Energy - Classic Champagne with single tiger eye
*Light green eyes = single tiger eye since she is champagne.
*The dark coat is due to besing black based and the pale freckles around the muzzle is a sign of a single cream (would be much lighter and not show a single tiger eye if double cream).

OĦ Phanta Fruit Twist - Silver Classic Champagne Dun with single tiger eye
*Dark freckles around the muzzle = champagne and no additional cream.
*Light green-brown eyes = single tiger eye.
*Silver coloured mane and tail = not chestnut.
*Both parents are black based = not bay/brown.
*Has a darker stripe along the back = dun.
*With all points above she is black based with champagne, silver and single tiger eye.

OĦ Anglo Pearl - Silver Amber Cream with single tiger eye
*Eyes are not bright green = not double tiger eye.
*Darker legs than the rest of the body = bay based.
*Light mane and tail = silver (since we already know she is bay based and not chestnut).
*Pale freckles around the muzzle = champagne with cream.
*Dam has no cream (since the freckles around the muzzle are dark on her) = only one cream, inherited from the sire.
*The light brown-green eyes are caused by single tiger eye gene.

OĦ White Faithful - Perlino Champagne
*Pale freckles around the muzzle = champagne with at least one cream.
*Legs are different colour than the rest of the body = bay. (Lighter legs can sometimes be caused by flaxen chestnut but then the mane and tail would be completely white on a cream+champagne horse, which they are not in this case.)
*The light coloured mane could be due to either silver or double cream. I think, looking at a saved picture I have, that if it was silver the mane would be almost white, so it is likely that it is double cream on bay in this case.
*Double cream on bay would also be the cause of the light coloured eyes, as well as the almost white legs. Single cream and champagne on bay usually have slightly darker legs, even though there are some light variations of them, which makes it a bit tricky.
*Looking at the nearest relatives in the pedigree it does not look like anyone has tiger eye, which otherwise could be the cause of the light brown/grey eyes if this horse would be single cream and silver with champagne.
(This one was actually pretty difficult so even I had to go back to my own gallery to compare with different images that I have saved in my dropbox. My best guess is cremello champagne since the horse looks very similar to a horse I own.)

OĦ Birdie Powder - Silver Smoky Cream
*Both parents are black based which means she could be either black or chestnut.
*Doesn't look like she is developing freckles around the muzzle, which would otherwise be a sign of champagne.
*No champagne and light eyes = double cream or cream + pearl.
*None of the parents is pearl so she is definitely double cream then.
*She is too dark to be cremello and too light to be smoky cream.
*Sire is silver so adding a silver gene to a smoky cream fits perfectly well with the dark yellow coat.
ohindie
Visit My Farm

Post by ohindie »

Totina wrote:Looking at the horses that have been linked in this thread I will give my comments on them in a second post here where I explain the process of how I determine a horse's cooat colour.
so so so so late but thank you Totina!!
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:15 pm

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:15 pm