The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

At A Loss

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

At A Loss

Post by Raikit »

Yet another (actually two) pearl horse(s) giving me the once over.

⇒ɱρξ⇐ Silver Medal

Dad is a sable cream pearl (brown + cream + pearl + champagne). Mom is an apricot snowflake (chestnut + 2x pearl). My first thought was baby is classic cream pearl. The problem with that is that I have this next horse, that I'd already thought was classic cream pearl roan and there are enough differences in their color to make me wonder.

⇒ɱρξ⇐ Kite

Kite's dad is a sable cream roan (brown + cream + champagne + roan) and her mom is a black pearl.

Here are their baby pictures side-by-side to help see the differences - Kite is more brown-ish while Silver is more blue-ish, Kite has pink skin while Silver has yellow:
Silver MedalKite
ImageImage
Anybody have any idea what I'm missing?
Totina wrote:""
BlackOak2 wrote:""
Thought I'd ping you guys since you've been helping me with this. XD
Totina
Visit My Farm

Re: At A Loss

Post by Totina »

Looking at the dark eyes that appear on Silver Medal at an older age I would say that he is double pearl champagne on a black base. The freckles on the muzzle seem to be darker than cream champagne or double cream champagne, which also is typical for double pearl champagne horses. I have had them before but I did not add them to the colour guide since I could not get them "clean" from other dilutions like dun, roan, silver etc.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

Totina wrote:Looking at the dark eyes that appear on Silver Medal at an older age I would say that he is double pearl champagne on a black base. The freckles on the muzzle seem to be darker than cream champagne or double cream champagne, which also is typical for double pearl champagne horses. I have had them before but I did not add them to the colour guide since I could not get them "clean" from other dilutions like dun, roan, silver etc.
Neat! I hadn't thought of that for some reason. I guess I just keep expecting cream to pop up.

I was going to say you're welcome to use him, but I just saw that he has snowflakes. :( I'll see if I can get a plain one for you. :)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:...
Totina wrote:...
I think we'll need more of those in study of guides! Haha! To help define foal expressions. The dappled silver black comes in a few different colors, so I would expect the dilutions to have even more. If each gene can express (nominally) four different expressions (or even three), right now that could explode our foal expressions into upwards of 36 different basic expressions of foals, without adding additional genes, such as roan and sooty on a palomino or an apricot.

But I think perhaps the next study that might need to be done, is the lightest versus darkest expressions of dilutions. For base colors, it's easy since black really doesn't express shading and chestnut, brown and bay can only get so light. Though I don't recall the colors, I know I've seen some really bright white looking dilutions and some that are considerably darker. Probably due more to sooty and unusual dilution combinations than actual color shading expression, but it could really become handy.
Like an extension to your color guide, Totina.

Have to start tackling them one at a time.

I was going to do the graying gene next, but I seem to have bred them out of my herd. I could do the dun gene, I have a lot of expressions of them in all the base colors and enough of them that aren't carrying silver.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote:
I'll definitely make a guide on the pearls when I've gotten all of the various combinations worked out. :) So far the biggest variation in shade that I've seen is actually the manes on the apricots. Some of them have the flaxen-like mane while others have the bright white palomino manes. It's quite interesting.

And I'd love to see your dun guide! There's so much variation in the dun expression. It's quite fascinating.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
I'll definitely make a guide on the pearls when I've gotten all of the various combinations worked out. :) So far the biggest variation in shade that I've seen is actually the manes on the apricots. Some of them have the flaxen-like mane while others have the bright white palomino manes. It's quite interesting.

And I'd love to see your dun guide! There's so much variation in the dun expression. It's quite fascinating.
I suppose that settles it. I'll start on the dun guide then.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Raikit wrote:...
I think we'll need more of those in study of guides! Haha! To help define foal expressions. The dappled silver black comes in a few different colors, so I would expect the dilutions to have even more. If each gene can express (nominally) four different expressions (or even three), right now that could explode our foal expressions into upwards of 36 different basic expressions of foals, without adding additional genes, such as roan and sooty on a palomino or an apricot.

But I think perhaps the next study that might need to be done, is the lightest versus darkest expressions of dilutions. For base colors, it's easy since black really doesn't express shading and chestnut, brown and bay can only get so light. Though I don't recall the colors, I know I've seen some really bright white looking dilutions and some that are considerably darker. Probably due more to sooty and unusual dilution combinations than actual color shading expression, but it could really become handy.
Like an extension to your color guide, Totina.

Have to start tackling them one at a time.

I was going to do the graying gene next, but I seem to have bred them out of my herd. I could do the dun gene, I have a lot of expressions of them in all the base colors and enough of them that aren't carrying silver.
I am actually going to upgrade my colour guide a little with variations and more information that I have figured out since I first made it. A few examples of blanket/snowcap and varnish as well as the progression of greying on a horse. I also need to upgrade the information about mealy (I know pretty much how it works) and possibly fleabitten grey as well. I am almost certain as to how the silver dapple gene works as well, and the sooty dapple gene.

I have been sorting out my old saved picture of horses and found that I need to upgrade a few of them (like the cream diluted ones that have too light coloured tails as there was a bug back then which is fixed now).
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:20 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:20 am