The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

smokey black or liver chestnut?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
Babson Arabian
Visit My Farm

smokey black or liver chestnut?

Post by Babson Arabian »

out of a bay with tiger eye and a pearl chestnut. any ideas?
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/865877

Sire

Dam
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Re: smokey black or liver chestnut?

Post by Raikit »

Babson Arabian wrote:""
Baby is grulla (black + dun). Mother is red dun (chestnut + dun), not chestnut pearl.

Apricot (chestnut pearl) looks like this:

Babson Arabian
Visit My Farm

Post by Babson Arabian »

dose not look like any grulla i have seen on the game. and dams dose NOT look like dun AT ALL. i have 2 red duns and they look NOTHING like the dam
this is my red dun

here is a yearling pic of red dun

here is yearling pic of dam

foals grandsire is a dun but his dam is chestnut. NO dun characteristics. as for pearl one copy will cause a shiny coat. double pearl creates the double dilute color you showed
Babson Arabian
Visit My Farm

Post by Babson Arabian »

here there is another foal of the same color out of a difrent mare and the same stud
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/865876
dam is another pearl mare
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/506259
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Bitapetrone »

I'm with Raikit on this one. I'd almost bet my life on the dam being a red dun. I've never seen a case of heterozygous pearl causing a shiny coat. That shine originates from the Turkmene horse and can pass through the generations.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

Babson Arabian wrote:""
Your mare is definitely red dun. Her body color is slightly faded from her legs and head. Without the white ticking characteristic of roan (which she is not) this can only be caused by the dun gene (which she gets from her sire). If you look closely you can also see a dorsal stripe. Dun expression varies very widely, from almost undetectable (your mare is almost there but not quite) to extremely loud.

All of the following horses are red dun.:
ImageImage
ImageImage
Foal coats can differ greatly from adult coats. Your foal has a very classic grulla newborn coat and will grow into the full grulla coloring. Just as a quick example, here are some other grullas (click on the foal picture to go to the horse):
NewbornAdult
ImageImage
Image Image

The other foal from the same stud is black. The mare is metallic bay, not bay pearl. Bay pearl looks like this:

Pearl is a recessive gene. It does not affect the color of the horse if there is only one copy of it. With two copies of pearl it makes the skin pink, turns red into yellow, and turns black into brown. With one copy of pearl and one copy of cream the skin turns pink, the eyes turn blue, red becomes pale cream, and black becomes light brown.
Last edited by Raikit on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Babson Arabian
Visit My Farm

Post by Babson Arabian »

ive have been told its pearl on several color threads so i went with it. so its metallic? ok then. i still dont agree on the dun considering the other duns i have are VERY obvious. if she is dun i may have to cull her then as im trying to get away from dun in my arabs.

i may need someone to go though my horses and find all my duns so i can cull -_-' or at least no longer breed them...
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

Babson Arabian wrote:ive have been told its pearl on several color threads so i went with it. so its metallic? ok then. i still dont agree on the dun considering the other duns i have are VERY obvious. if she is dun i may have to cull her then as im trying to get away from dun in my arabs.

i may need someone to go though my horses and find all my duns so i can cull -_-' or at least no longer breed them...
The foal is clearly grulla. His sire is not dun so the mare has to be. Dun varies from almost undetectable to very obvious. I believe we had a similar discussion here when figuring out that HH Dark Spring is dun. One of my horses was similar. Here she is at 2 years:

And here she is at 4:
Last edited by Raikit on Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

Also, this thread by Totina is always the best first stop to check color.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:06 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:06 pm