Community Forum

Some color/markings help

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
JillJessie1997
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Some color/markings help

Post by JillJessie1997 »

I've studied the color guide posted here and I know she definitely has the Champagne and pearl gene (take a look at her pictures, she is diluted with freckles on her muzzle and around her eyes). I want to say she has a cream gene too (the horse listed under 'Brown Cream' looks pretty similar in color). I also know she has a copy of the tiger eye gene. The scattered white hairs are known as snowflakes if I recall correctly. As for the white patterns, would this be considered a blanket?

Not really good with the lighter colors such as these :P
Raikit
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Re: Some color/markings help

Post by Raikit »

JillJessie1997 wrote:Image

I've studied the color guide posted here and I know she definitely has the Champagne and pearl gene (take a look at her pictures, she is diluted with freckles on her muzzle and around her eyes). I want to say she has a cream gene too (the horse listed under 'Brown Cream' looks pretty similar in color). I also know she has a copy of the tiger eye gene. The scattered white hairs are known as snowflakes if I recall correctly. As for the white patterns, would this be considered a blanket?

Looking through your fields I believe this filly is Milkshake Magic, so that's the horse this analysis is for.

She is a gold dun (chestnut + champagne + dun). She displays neither pearl nor cream and while she could be hiding pearl (though I see no evidence in her pedigree) she can not have cream because neither parent has it. Her mother is red dun (chestnut + dun) and her sire is gold champagne (chestnut + champagne). Your filly appears diluted because of her dun gene - it causes lightening of the body color. Her freckles are caused by champagne - pearl does not cause freckles. You are correct as to the snowflakes, and terminology differs on naming the leopard patterns. This is a blanket, but some may call it an extended blanket because it reaches the shoulders.
JillJessie1997
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by JillJessie1997 »

Raikit wrote:
JillJessie1997 wrote:Image

Looking through your fields I believe this filly is Milkshake Magic, so that's the horse this analysis is for.

She is a gold dun (chestnut + champagne + dun). She displays neither pearl nor cream and while she could be hiding pearl (though I see no evidence in her pedigree) she can not have cream because neither parent has it. Her mother is red dun (chestnut + dun) and her sire is gold champagne (chestnut + champagne). Your filly appears diluted because of her dun gene - it causes lightening of the body color. Her freckles are caused by champagne - pearl does not cause freckles. You are correct as to the snowflakes, and terminology differs on naming the leopard patterns. This is a blanket, but some may call it an extended blanket because it reaches the shoulders.
Milkshake Magic is the one I was asking about. I shoulda posted her link :P Oh well!
Thank you for your analysis. Whew, I was totally off base on her color, not even close xD
Raikit
Visit My Farm
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

JillJessie1997 wrote:[
Milkshake Magic is the one I was asking about. I shoulda posted her link :P Oh well!
Thank you for your analysis. Whew, I was totally off base on her color, not even close xD
You actually weren't that far off! You got that she had champagne, but I feel like when you looked at the color guide you forgot to take her parents into account. The baby can't have anything that its parents didn't have so if you'd taken them into account you might have been able to rule out the cream. And a lot of colors can look alike so mistakes happen a lot. I make them, too! :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed May 08, 2024 4:02 pm

It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 4:02 pm