The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Any Ideas of What Color This Horse is?

Forum rules
You can link to a horse using our new custom BBCode:
[horse=1234]Horses Name[/horse]
This will display the most recent photo of the horse as well as a link to him.
FoxTrotStables
Visit My Farm

Any Ideas of What Color This Horse is?

Post by FoxTrotStables »

I've had this horse as a foal and my opinion of his color keeps changing as he gets older. I want to say his base color is some sort of grulla but he has soft red spots on him... Does anyone know what he is?

Here he is:
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/939255
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Any Ideas of What Color This Horse is?

Post by BlackOak2 »

FoxTrotStables wrote:I've had this horse as a foal and my opinion of his color keeps changing as he gets older. I want to say his base color is some sort of grulla but he has soft red spots on him... Does anyone know what he is?

Here he is:
As a pre-note: appaloosa patterning (the leopard complex) horse's will change throughout there lifetime... it is annoying, amusing and interesting all at the same time.

Your colt looks to be a silver brown dun pangare with an appaloosa blanket.
However, the pangare is sometimes a little difficult to distinguish, so I'm not sure exactly where it came from. I don't see it on his father, it's usually hidden on black coats (from his mother), but I don't really see it through her parents either, but that's as far back as I went.

But it's definitely brown base, with dun and silver (and of course appaloosa gene).
FoxTrotStables
Visit My Farm

Post by FoxTrotStables »

BlackOak2 wrote:
FoxTrotStables wrote:I've had this horse as a foal and my opinion of his color keeps changing as he gets older. I want to say his base color is some sort of grulla but he has soft red spots on him... Does anyone know what he is?

Here he is:
As a pre-note: appaloosa patterning (the leopard complex) horse's will change throughout there lifetime... it is annoying, amusing and interesting all at the same time.

However, the pangare is sometimes a little difficult to distinguish, so I'm not sure exactly where it came from. I don't see it on his father, it's usually hidden on black coats (from his mother), but I don't really see it through her parents either, but that's as far back as I went.

But it's definitely brown base, with dun and silver (and of course appaloosa gene).
I think you're right, thank you!
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

FoxTrotStables wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

I think you're right, thank you!
Just wanted to note that this boy does not actually have pangare. His foal coat showed some mealy but he grew out of it. If he still had it as an adult the red areas on him would actually have been yellow-ish like you would see on a smoky brown.
texí
Visit My Farm

Post by texí »

Here he is:
I see no pangaré at all, this is just what the "brown" phenotype does. Looks silver bay dun spotted blanket.
Alpha ignis, signum astralis, flamma omega, multiversalis....
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

texí wrote:

Here he is:
I see no pangaré at all, this is just what the "brown" phenotype does. Looks silver bay dun spotted blanket.
Bay and brown are two distinct colors. Looking at the foal and yearling photos this horse is actually brown-based, not bay-based. As he's aged the appaloosa bronzing effect has caused his black areas to turn slightly coppery, giving him more of a bay-based appearance, but his base color is still brown.
texí
Visit My Farm

Post by texí »

Raikit wrote:
texí wrote:
Bay and brown are two distinct colors. Looking at the foal and yearling photos this horse is actually brown-based, not bay-based. As he's aged the appaloosa bronzing effect has caused his black areas to turn slightly coppery, giving him more of a bay-based appearance, but his base color is still brown.

I know in this game it is different, I just go by genotype, which is the same ... bay/brown is the same as sorrel/chestnut..
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Bitapetrone »

Many use sorrel/chestnut interchangeably, but brown (seal brown) and bay are different both here and in real life.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

texí wrote:
Raikit wrote:

I know in this game it is different, I just go by genotype, which is the same ... bay/brown is the same as sorrel/chestnut..
Bay and brown are different both phenotypically AND genotypically. Bay is A/A, A/A+, A/at, A/a. Wild bay is A+/A+, A+/at, or A+/a. Brown is at/at or at/a. Black is a/a. Bay is dominant over brown and black. Brown is recessive to bay but dominant to black. Black is recessive to bay and brown.
texí
Visit My Farm

Post by texí »

Raikit wrote:
texí wrote:

Bay and brown are different both phenotypically AND genotypically. Bay is A/A, A/A+, A/at, A/a. Wild bay is A+/A+, A+/at, or A+/a. Brown is at/at or at/a. Black is a/a. Bay is dominant over brown and black. Brown is recessive to bay but dominant to black. Black is recessive to bay and brown.
The "at" tests were fake, there is no difference between bay and brown genetically and if there is, it is unknown.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:47 am

It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:47 am