The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

The Carousel

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
CarouselCowgirl
Visit My Farm

Re: The Carousel

Post by CarouselCowgirl »

Well, that went pretty quick.

I am wrapping up breeding the Norman Cobs to get Percherons. I have 3 mares left that I am hoping will give me 1 Percheron... If they don't though, then I still had over 31 of 35+ Norman Cobs produce Percherons (I lost count of how many Norman Cobs I had).

This time, I think I did better. At least I think I got better Percherons than the first round. Yay! I tried to pick foundation horses with conformation traits that I want.

In addition, I tried breeding some LP into the herd. I don't plan on keeping it in the herd, but I couldn't resist playing with LP a bit. Plus, Percherons are used to create Norikers, so I want to breed a spotted stud or two to put up for stud for Noriker breeders! Here are my 1st gen spotted Percherons:

I have sent a few Percherons to The Carousel to start breeding again. I'm excited! I still plan on breeding a Percheron "from scratch" every now and again too, to keep COI low. Eventually I want to grab some Andalusians and/or breed them to prepare for making some Spanish-Normans!
CarouselCowgirl
Visit My Farm

It has been a while since I updated.

Percheron breeding is going well. My second gen Percherons were all over the place, but I've got a system together that I really like and it is helping make better sire + dam pairings. My foals have been a lot more consistent lately.

For a while I had over 36 breeding mares on the farm, but I am trying to cut that number down to 18. I am being really picky on keeping horses for breeding, and I am sending the really nice ones over to The Vintage Carousel for a while. Once I do get down to 18 mares, I am going to bring more of my first generation Percherons over from The Vintage Carousel. This time though, when I breed the next set of Percherons, I am going to keep some statistics on how consistent the foals are. Should be interesting to see. I'd like to put together some stats on how each of the horses produce, but that may be too tedious. I am trying really hard to keep COI down, but this is so difficult. I really hope the Adoption Center adds more breeds soon. :D

I have purchased a few Andalusians, and I have managed to breed 3 Spanish-Normans so far! 2 colts and 1 filly. They are currently the only Spanish-Normans in the game. They will head over to The Vintage Carousel once they reach puberty.

I have to brag about 3 show studs I've bred though.

First is my first ever champion and record holder,₡ Time Lord! He's actually a Champion+. He's a fantastic guy, built for stamina.

Second, is my tall boy, ₡ Picasso. Normally, I wouldn't have kept a horse this tall, or dun, but I saw he had potential. He is just starting out in the showring, but he is gonna be really good in obstacle driving!

And third is my favorite, a grandson of ₡ Time Lord. His name is ₡ City Lights. He is a youngster, but he has a lot of potential. His conformation and appearance is also very very close to being everything I want in my Percherons.

And finally, I have finished my LP Percheron project. I bred a snowcap stud colt, and he is standing at stud at The Vintage Carousel. I still have a few LP horses running around The Carousel, but I am trying to breed it out from them.
Sypherthrax
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Sypherthrax »

Time Lord is a beautiful horse! :D Nice farm.
CarouselCowgirl
Visit My Farm

Thank you!
CarouselCowgirl
Visit My Farm

After taking a break to breed for color(sooty dapples), I am back breeding for Percherons, and I've added Andalusians as well! The Andys I am breeding are the results of one of the sooty dapple projects I took part in.

For the Percherons, I am continuing on with the same goals in mind. I still had some "foundation" percherons sitting over on my other ranch, so I am currently breeding them and eventually plan to move the best of the offspring to the VintageCarousel again. Eventually, once I am done with all my foundation Percherons, I will be bringing the Percherons I have bred from this group, and the 2 before, back to The Carousel for some breeding and competition!

I do have one Percheron stud right now that I am really proud of. Meet ₡ High Note.

He is getting a late start on training and showing, but those are both going well with him! He is making a really nice obstacle driving horse.

Overall, progress with this group of Percherons has been moving along nicely.

And, as for the Andys, well. I've got a bunch of really nice horses, but their conformations are all over the place. Very few have great "Andalusian type." But that's what I get for crossing with Turkmenes and Forest Horses to get sooty dapples! I picked out 2 studs, one a Waler, and one Mixed Andalusian who have conformation traits that I want in my herd. I bred a bunch of mares to them, and kept 3 colts. I am hoping these boys will help me get more typey Andalusians in the future.

I have a lot more Andalusians over at the VintageCarousel though. I will probably do something similar with them as I have done with my Percherons: breed a subset then hold the produce, breed another subset, and so on. I only want to have about 12 broodmares of each breed at a time, so I don't overwhelm myself.

Eventually, I plan to cross the Andys and Percherons to get Spanish Normans!
Revenant
Visit My Farm

Post by Revenant »

Just wanted to say congrats. :) You seem to have been doing so well with all your projects. Really great work.
CarouselCowgirl
Visit My Farm

Thank you!
CarouselCowgirl
Visit My Farm

High Note is doing so well! He is a record holder now, and he has become a Champion in Marathon Driving. He is over at my other ranch currently, to be a sire and show horse.

I have decided to move my Percherons back over to the VintageCarousel for a while now though. I'd like to free up room on this farm and focus my attention on my Andalusians. I'll pick out the best of the Percherons and send them back, retire the rest, and I'm going to pick some Andalusians up to bring them over here for breeding.

I also plan to crossbreed my Andalusians, again, to add in some beneficial genetics.

Lots of moving!
CarouselCowgirl
Visit My Farm

I have been trying to find a stallion standing at stud with green or gold movement, but no luck.

So, I have decided to start a mini-side project to breed for a green/gold movement stallion to put up to public stud. I'm looking through the ads, trying to find horses with better movement BRs. I do have a couple of my own that I will be using to start this off though:

http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/445994
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/449924
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/454094
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/454097

And I found this guy at stud too: http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/381753

The end result will probably be a grade horse, but! We needs some public studs with fantastic movement!!!
Lekara
Visit My Farm

Post by Lekara »

CarouselCowgirl wrote:I have been trying to find a stallion standing at stud with green or gold movement

Hey, CC! I was wondering if you'd let me breed one mare to Lightyear. I'm slowly working on movement as well, but also trying to keep dapples in my herd. :)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:14 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:14 pm