The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

The Iberian Horses of Firemist Meadows

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Lekara
Visit My Farm

The Iberian Horses of Firemist Meadows

Post by Lekara »

I have been ranching on HWO since December of 2015, but decided it was time to finally create a Farm Log
Firemist Meadows by Lekara
*Updated: Jan 31, 2019

Andalusians
The main breed at my farm is Andalusians, mostly because it is the base for many other breeds, including the other two that are the focus of my ranch.
I started from scratch and made my own lines, though I have used many open studs for WABs, Sorraias and Carthusians since then in order to shore up the ranks. I also have more recently started using Grades (both open studs and Grades of my own making) to try and improve my stock. I have had many Champions and currently own and shown (between my two accounts) *the Top Five 16 of the top 20 Andalusians on HWO, all of whom I bred myself. :D

Current Goals
* Create animals with positive stats in Balance, Movement, Agility and Tempo in Conformation
* Create animals with at least *one four Green/Gold stats in their BR
* Keep Horse Genetic Potentials above 50k
* Keep COIs below *20% 30%
* Encourage a variety of color, especially Silver - but not appalosa/LP markings
* Short horses (below 14hh) are highly discouraged, tall horses (over 16hh) are *slightly high discouraged
*** GREEN MOVEMENT ***

Lusitanos
Some time after reaching a healthy amount of Andalusians, I began to create Lusitanos. *My Lusitano program is still quite young, but coming along nicely. Unlike my Andys, where I am focusing on performance qualities, I want to keep my Lusitano herd as "pure" as possible. The idea is to try to create many generations of 5* evaluated Lusitanos before then working on stats and confirmation. Since I had already created a solid base of Andys from which to create them, the herd does not yet seem to be suffering from this goal. I still have Green stats and positive conformation in many of my Lusitanos, despite breeding for evals instead. As of Jan 2019, I am working on getting my Lusitanos to look more chunky, as they have become too tall and light due to outbreeding. This is also a problem with my Andalusians, but it's worse in my Lusitano herds. I also bred, own and show the current *Number One Lusitano top 17 of 20 Lusitanos on HWO!

Current Goals
* Create PURE lines *with multiple generations of 5* evals that are appropriately sized
* No Appalosa/LP markings
* *RED stats are highly discouraged, if not outright culled (no longer a problem)
added:
* Create animals with at least four Green/Gold stats in their BR

Warlanders
*For the moment, I am still working on creating a solid herd of Warlanders. I keep my Warlanders at my Lekara2 ranch until I am ready to start breeding them to each other. This will allow me to limit inbreeding and keep their COIs down. I keep a few Friesians on my main ranch in order to create the Warlanders. Any Wars born will be moved to my other account before turning 1 year old in order to await their time to breed. My Warlander herd is doing well. It is fairly easy to create new lines, since there are many great Friesians available on HWO. I'm glad that I allowed LP/blanket patterns into this breed (despite it being untraditional to the breed) as it allows for some very pretty horses and adds variety to my pastures. As of Jan 2019, I have the top 19 of 20 Warlanders on HWO!

Current Goals
* Create a variety of Warlanders from many different lines to discourage future inbreeding
* Encourage all color and pattern types, especially Blankets!
added:
* Create animals with at least four Green/Gold stats in their BR
Last edited by Lekara on Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lekara
Visit My Farm

Re: The Iberian Horses of Firemist Meadows

Post by Lekara »

My current pride and joy:

Sweet Silver Sword

Despite being a little tall, I adore his color and full mane and tail. He has very good conformation and a nice breeder's report.
He's also killing it in the competitions!
Lekara
Visit My Farm

Post by Lekara »

Well, things have changed a tiny bit at the farm. The arrival of Genetic Potential and the change in tallying conformation has made me rethink my breeding projects a little bit.

Plus, I teamed up with CarouselCowgirl to work on getting dappled Andalusians - great challenge!

I am almost back to having pure Andy herds, but here's one part that I had to show off:

Viper Sunning

She has a Movement conformation of 62!! :D
I'm not sure what the highest on HWO currently is, but she's certainly got the highest stat of any of my ponies. Of course, her other stats and GP leave something to be desired. But I thought she needed to be celebrated.
Lekara
Visit My Farm

Post by Lekara »

An excellent score on the foal train today,
this sweet little colt dropped just now:

Excellent Colt

He as two GOLD stats *and* two GREEN stats. His genetic potential is over 52k, his conformation is above par.
There's also a possibility that he might show dapple.

I'm very excited about this guy. :D
Lekara
Visit My Farm

Post by Lekara »

Another good score on new horses -
I've ended up with a supremely handsome Lusitano stud - great color (Silver Dunskin) with BLUE tiger eyes!

Beautiful Blue-eyed Boy

His conformation is quite nice, as well. I very much like how he's built - his head is fabulous, his length to height proportion is wonderful, and his legs are just the right thickness. All over, probably my favorite Lusitano I've bred to far.
Lekara
Visit My Farm

Post by Lekara »

Recently, I've been chugging through years at the ranch. One reason was to create new stock from scratch in order to finish challenge goals on HWO. This meant breeding fresh Sorraias, Carthusians, WABs, Andalusians, Friesians, Lusitanos and Warlanders. I soared through many generations! Now I have a fair number of short-haired, Medium-sized, thick-legged, double-cream-bearing Andys whose COI numbers are creeping close to 30%. So, not only did I slowly start introducing the new stock (with some of it going to my second account for future use), but I also bred in some grades, Arabians and Deliboz (since those three breeds offer some animals with fantastic breeder's reports, and they would get my stock to looking more pretty).
The goals for breeding in these other breeds (once I breed back to make full Andys, Lus', and Wars):
1. Bring HGP up above 50k and have at least 3 greens/golds on the affected stock
2. Long manes and Tails
3. Medium-Light bodies with thinner legs
4. Fewer Perlinos - get back to more variety in color
5. (Eventually) return to lower COIs

Breeding a foal with GREEN Movement is still a goal, as well. Though that is proving difficult. I have many horses with a variety of good reports in Movement, but can't seem to get a green out of any of them.

My best example of this fresh non-Andy blood is Rock N Roll:

Rock N Roll

Yes, he is Perlino and yes, he currently has short mane and tail (I'm hoping that will change since he's only 3 at the moment). Also, I don't like his big ears. BUT! His legs are great, his neck and body are great. And he has 57k GP and 2 golds and 2 greens. His conformation is very good and he's doing quite well in shows so far.

Now for the hard part of the program shift - shifting back out of "Speed Breed" mode.

The goal for now is to not pass through more than one year a day!! (Before, I could easily got through 10-15 years a day). I need to slow down to start giving my young, trained horses a chance to show. It's time to enjoy the fruits of my labor and get back to winning Championships.
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Bitapetrone »

Nice critters! I'm a big fan of the Iberian horses. :)
Lekara
Visit My Farm

Post by Lekara »

Bitapetrone wrote:Nice critters! I'm a big fan of the Iberian horses. :)
Thanks, Bita! :D
Lekara
Visit My Farm

Post by Lekara »

One of my most handsome horses ever just hit maturity. I'm beyond thrilled with how his body shaped up:

Shadows and Ash

His neck is nice and thick, his chest, shoulder and butt are big and rounded, his back isn't too long, his legs aren't too thick or too skiny, and he is just at the top of the height for Andalusians.
Plus, he has decent HGP (48k) with two greens and a gold - not too shabby. To top it off, he is one of my favorite colors - Silver Bay.
Some things I would tweak about him - I'd make his face a tiny bit less Roman, and I'd rather he be Medium (or even Medium-Heavy) than the Medium-Light that he is. But, all in all, I think he is the best-looking horse I've bred so far!
stephanie111
Visit My Farm

Post by stephanie111 »

Lekara wrote:One of my most handsome horses ever just hit maturity. I'm beyond thrilled with how his body shaped up:

Shadows and Ash

His neck is nice and thick, his chest, shoulder and butt are big and rounded, his back isn't too long, his legs aren't too thick or too skiny, and he is just at the top of the height for Andalusians.
Plus, he has decent HGP (48k) with two greens and a gold - not too shabby. To top it off, he is one of my favorite colors - Silver Bay.
Some things I would tweak about him - I'd make his face a tiny bit less Roman, and I'd rather he be Medium (or even Medium-Heavy) than the Medium-Light that he is. But, all in all, I think he is the best-looking horse I've bred so far!
Hi! Nice to see your log!I breed arabs and I was wondering if you would want any help, some of my horses have gold movement-would it help you?
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:47 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:47 am