The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Black Oak Farms

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Black Oak Farms

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: ... mare to you.
I occasionally boot my side up when I want to work on my Turkmene project, but I move any horses that I don't want to age to my main when I do.

And I agree with the game helping you out at times - though I'm not sure everyone would. XD I started breeding Vladimirs and had my first one after maybe a week. Then yesterday I got five VHD foals in the same game year. But other people have been trying for months without any luck. Though I think at times I just work a lot faster than other people.
Being upgraded does help to work faster. I've experienced very similar results (on the other account when I did breed for a specific). I also think some of the people have the rights that if you breed a shorter stallion for the given goal to a taller mare you'll more likely get the right height and the goal breed.

I also have thought for a long time that you can 'trick' certain protocols to give you a better chance at certain things if you 'breed' for certain things. aA50/50 chance that always leans more toward your desired choice type of thing.
For instance foal sex. I have noticed that certain lines if they give you fillies, they'll more often give you fillies and likewise for the colts. I have a greater number of mare lines in my low HGP project that give me fillies more often. But, I have a couple mare lines that seem to always offer colts.

There seems to be much more at work here than simple programing at times. Or perhaps I'm just delusional. :P
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Raikit wrote:
I occasionally boot my side up when I want to work on my Turkmene project, but I move any horses that I don't want to age to my main when I do.

And I agree with the game helping you out at times - though I'm not sure everyone would. XD I started breeding Vladimirs and had my first one after maybe a week. Then yesterday I got five VHD foals in the same game year. But other people have been trying for months without any luck. Though I think at times I just work a lot faster than other people.
Being upgraded does help to work faster. I've experienced very similar results (on the other account when I did breed for a specific). I also think some of the people have the rights that if you breed a shorter stallion for the given goal to a taller mare you'll more likely get the right height and the goal breed.

I also have thought for a long time that you can 'trick' certain protocols to give you a better chance at certain things if you 'breed' for certain things. aA50/50 chance that always leans more toward your desired choice type of thing.
For instance foal sex. I have noticed that certain lines if they give you fillies, they'll more often give you fillies and likewise for the colts. I have a greater number of mare lines in my low HGP project that give me fillies more often. But, I have a couple mare lines that seem to always offer colts.

There seems to be much more at work here than simple programing at times. Or perhaps I'm just delusional. :P
I agree entirely on the crossbreeding. I think a lot of people get tied up in thinking that the parent horses have to be perfect and then foal will be perfect. I just rely on the RNG gods to be on my side. :lol:

And I don't have specific lines that do fillies vs colts. Instead I go through "spurts". A few years in a row I'll get an overwhelming majority of colts, then the next few years it'll be fillies.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Being ...delusional. :P
I agree entirely on the crossbreeding. I think a lot of people get tied up in thinking that the parent horses have to be perfect and then foal will be perfect. I just rely on the RNG gods to be on my side. :lol:

And I don't have specific lines that do fillies vs colts. Instead I go through "spurts". A few years in a row I'll get an overwhelming majority of colts, then the next few years it'll be fillies.
It is interesting to see what programming comes out with and more so when an error offers a very unique outcome.

It's great to have this game now, but I can't help to say that I would've been so much more enthused if it had come out years ago.

I do wonder if our admins might hire somebody on soon. This game is getting bigger in leaps and bounds and I'm not just talking about tech.
And of course at the same time I want a game like this for other species... cats... dogs... cattle... I suddenly also want one developed on a console... playstation, xbox.
Makes me feel jealous, envious and sad. Along with happy that the game finally exists.

So I turn back to the horses, curse that the low GP is being difficult, that my spotted program isn't giving me the full coverage as quickly as I think it should and reveling in the fact that I CAN curse at such things.

Such a perfectly satisfying game. :D
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Raikit wrote:

It is interesting to see what programming comes out with and more so when an error offers a very unique outcome.

It's great to have this game now, but I can't help to say that I would've been so much more enthused if it had come out years ago.

I do wonder if our admins might hire somebody on soon. This game is getting bigger in leaps and bounds and I'm not just talking about tech.
And of course at the same time I want a game like this for other species... cats... dogs... cattle... I suddenly also want one developed on a console... playstation, xbox.
Makes me feel jealous, envious and sad. Along with happy that the game finally exists.

So I turn back to the horses, curse that the low GP is being difficult, that my spotted program isn't giving me the full coverage as quickly as I think it should and reveling in the fact that I CAN curse at such things.

Oh, you have a spotted program too? I'm currently working on getting a black full-leopard. I have cremello and chestnut full-leopards, but (just as in real life) the black does not take to the white as well as the red colors do. It's very frustrating.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
It is...

Oh, you have a spotted program too? I'm currently working on getting a black full-leopard. I have cremello and chestnut full-leopards, but (just as in real life) the black does not take to the white as well as the red colors do. It's very frustrating.
Tarpans... although I'm a bit far from them right now. Eventually I'll get back to purebred. I figure in my lazy way of researching that the spotted gene had to have originated from a species that originally came from Europe (even though I think... think... it only first appeared from those in the US). There aren't very many original breeds from mainstream Europe except the Tarpan. So I decided it sounded good enough and that's what I'd develop. So wild colors with full leopard is what I'm aiming for, even though wild colors won't really show on the fully leopard coat.
I did have a black blanket tarpan (tarpan cross... something or other) Only the butt and back strip area. But black is not the base color so I was satisfied it didn't pass on.

I found that to get the spreading really spreading... a cross back into shetlands and caspians a few times is necessary. Those two breeds, for some reason. For generations I couldn't get the spread to crawl further than the butt and back strip, no matter how many caspians I bred into, until I snapped up a few shetlands and crossed back into them.
Now I just need to watch that varnish. Personally varnish is a bit ugly to me. It has it's place... that is not in my herd.
How are you getting along with that bronzing? I really haven't found a decently good explanation and gene passage 'bylaws' for that yet.
Plus I also think game people overlook it for varnish at times or just call it chestnut.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Raikit wrote:
Tarpans... although I'm a bit far from them right now. Eventually I'll get back to purebred. I figure in my lazy way of researching that the spotted gene had to have originated from a species that originally came from Europe (even though I think... think... it only first appeared from those in the US). There aren't very many original breeds from mainstream Europe except the Tarpan. So I decided it sounded good enough and that's what I'd develop. So wild colors with full leopard is what I'm aiming for, even though wild colors won't really show on the fully leopard coat.
I did have a black blanket tarpan (tarpan cross... something or other) Only the butt and back strip area. But black is not the base color so I was satisfied it didn't pass on.

I found that to get the spreading really spreading... a cross back into shetlands and caspians a few times is necessary. Those two breeds, for some reason. For generations I couldn't get the spread to crawl further than the butt and back strip, no matter how many caspians I bred into, until I snapped up a few shetlands and crossed back into them.
Now I just need to watch that varnish. Personally varnish is a bit ugly to me. It has it's place... that is not in my herd.
How are you getting along with that bronzing? I really haven't found a decently good explanation and gene passage 'bylaws' for that yet.
Plus I also think game people overlook it for varnish at times or just call it chestnut.
This is the farthest I've gotten with my black so far:

I can't seem to get the white to spread up the neck, even when the sire or dam is a leopard with white on the neck and face. It's very frustrating.

As for bronzing, I haven't really been paying attention. It hasn't cropped up in my blacks yet so it hasn't been an issue. What I've seen more is the varnish gene turning chestnut bases into black. I get that occasionally in my cremellos, but I haven't paid attention to who has passed it on or anything like that.

Edit: So now that you've made me pay attention I noticed that one of my VHD mares is bronzing.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

I can't seem to get the white to spread up the neck, even when the sire or dam is a leopard with white on the neck and face. It's very frustrating.

As for bronzing, I haven't really been paying attention. It hasn't cropped up in my blacks yet so it hasn't been an issue. What I've seen more is the varnish gene turning chestnut bases into black. I get that occasionally in my cremellos, but I haven't paid attention to who has passed it on or anything like that.
My own best right now, affected by varnish sadly.
And by far, my favorite. Also affected by varnish, but less so.
It'd be very nice if I could pass those large spots and make it my tarpan appaloosa markings.

I did have one that had patterns up the neck on a fluke crossing, well perhaps not fluke so much...
but he didn't pass on his markings to the foal that came out acceptable...

It is very difficult.

I do really like that foal of yours. Good patterns, nice white space between spots and minimal non-coverage over my two hardest areas, the stomach and the flank. It makes for a nice 'uniform' appaloosa patterning. Almost seems like once you have it at a full pattern, there might be little reversal of coverage when bred true (i.e. full pattern to full pattern). I've seen a lot that reverse patterns or cover in unusual ways even in my own herd. But then again, I'm not at my end goal yet either.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Black Oak Specialty Training Program

My Specialty Training Program is listed under Competition Training, but I have other programs available as well.

Basic Information
I will take horses in for training (that includes partially trained).
However, I will purchase said stock and post for private sale only (see bottom of this post for pricing).
Stock will move from original owner into my ownership and then return to owner, there will be no exceptions to this rule.

My schedule is erratic sometimes, but horses will get fully trained under 3 years (my usual is generally 2 years and 6.5 months). What this means is that it may take me a couple days to complete training-only, or it may take me up to or over a week, but your horse will have aged no more than the guarantee (guarantees posted with programs). It is very rare for me to take more than three days to finish training, but life hits and I must put it in for that exception situation.

Once training-only is finished and 24 hours pass with no pick-up, they will begin a competition career at my discretion until they leave (be warned that the first time is free-of-charge, any additional incidents may be upgraded to Competition Training Rates; this is to dissuade abuse of the Competition Training Program). Any earnings will not be forwarded as during training, ownership was shifted to me.

Notes:
If the horse is not picked up, they will continue to age and will eventually age out. There will be no compensation for lost horses. There will be no guarantee of offspring-free (however, my lines are closed and I have no desire to introduce unknown blood, regardless of rarity or bloodlines); there will be a guarantee of no public stud posts (or broodmare posts if that option ever becomes available). I will also guarantee that the horse will not be sold. This is ONLY in the event that the horse is NOT PICKED UP.
Otherwise: There will be a guarantee of sales only to the stables of which the contract comes from (which means that if you contact me from your primary account and you want horse A trained from your second account, I will only return it to your primary account, so be sure to make the contract/contact from the account that the horse will be returning too, not necessarily coming from). There will also be a guarantee of no breeding or studding.

Program Prices are as follows:
Stamina Only (trained till above 90%): 7000 (training just for stamina should be somewhere below 1 year 9 months - this is generally when I reach it during normal training; other stats will also be affected, but no guarantee which ones or how much)

Partial Training (training only for a single discipline): 5000 per stat (because I don't know how long this will take, I cannot guarantee a 3 year or better turnaround, this is also the reason for the price)

Training Only (All stats will be trained until at or above 99%): 30,000 for untouched (meaning anything below 100 total points of previous training); 38,000 for pre-trained with completion within 3 years; 35,000 for pre-trained with completion over 3 years

Exceptions Training
: for those accepting training up to 90% plus in all stats, untouched is 20,000 and pre-trained is 25,000 (three year turnaround or better)

Specialty Program
Expect the Specialty Program to take a week to fully process. Depending on which competitions are entered and when they run, it may take up to 2 weeks (owner can at any time, request for the horse to be returned early, but still must pay price as stated on horse notes at that time). Once training is complete, horse may be transferred to prevent aging. Aging is only guaranteed to be under 10 years (5 years is the expected time-frame).
Competition Training: Prices dependent on HGP (based on potential supplemental income or loss); encompasses full training and competitions run for a complete sampling of abilities (see below for explanation of sampling)
HGP 32000 and below: 80,000 (these horses will probably offer the most loss; potential savings of up to 30,000 for title earnings)
HGP 32001 to 45000: 75,000 (with a savings of up to 20,000 for title earnings)
HGP 45001 to 50000: 70,000 (with a savings of up to 20,000 for title earnings)
HGP 50001 to 65000: 65,000 (expected title earnings, save 10,000 for 6 digit purse accumulation)
HGP 65001 and above: 60,000 (expected title earnings, save 10,000 for 6 digit purse accumulation)

Competition Sampling: (sampling may contain higher levels or additional entry counts, but are limited to at least having the following)
If there are no First, Second and Third placing, no less than 10 entries at no higher than level 3.
If there are placements in First, Second or Third positions, no less than 20 entries at no higher than level 5.
If there is strong placements in First, Second or Third positions, usually offering a 70% win percentage or above, no less than 30 entries in ranges up to and including level 10.
Title Earner savings will be posted as the horse competes, in their notes. Each title earned will save 5000 on the overall bill until limit is reached. Please note that no earnings will be forwarded to the horse owner.

All transfer of ownership training deals will be limited by HGP and not rarity using the following:
40000 HGP and below: Transfer purchase to me will be 10,000 (meaning I will pay you this amount for the horse)
HGP 40001 to 55000: Transfer purchase to me will be 20,000
HGP 55001 to 65000: Transfer purchase to me will be 30,000
HGP 65001 and above: transfer purchase to me will be 40,000
These are firm amounts which will be expected to be returned when ownership is transferred back.

I have this available as a specialty program for interested parties only; I have a lot of projects still running and will not have a lot of open spots, but if you have interest in this program, contact me by replying here of interest, program and horse and I will quote you a projected slot, expected aging and real-time processing and the expected total buy-back amount (this includes ownership transfer fees and does not include any potential savings or program changes), as well as the breakdown of those prices.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on Fri May 24, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Raikit wrote:

My own best right now, affected by varnish sadly.
And by far, my favorite. Also affected by varnish, but less so.
It'd be very nice if I could pass those large spots and make it my tarpan appaloosa markings.

I did have one that had patterns up the neck on a fluke crossing, well perhaps not fluke so much...
but he didn't pass on his markings to the foal that came out acceptable...

It is very difficult.

I do really like that foal of yours. Good patterns, nice white space between spots and minimal non-coverage over my two hardest areas, the stomach and the flank. It makes for a nice 'uniform' appaloosa patterning. Almost seems like once you have it at a full pattern, there might be little reversal of coverage when bred true (i.e. full pattern to full pattern). I've seen a lot that reverse patterns or cover in unusual ways even in my own herd. But then again, I'm not at my end goal yet either.
As far as full coverage goes, this boy is my best so far (hence why I'm holding on to him despite him being cremello):

This one was his full brother but aged out before I realized:

And so far when my blacks are bred to each other there has been little to no reversal. The only "reversal" I've seen is when one of the blanket horses is bred to a chestnut base with full coverage - any black foals end up losing coverage on the neck.

Do you happen to have a link to the horse with white on his neck? I'd be interested to look at his pedigree.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
link to white-necked
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/676358

That's a nice set of (almost) full leopards. that little mark on what is it... the flank? under the chin and on the fetlocks on the full brother. It's so nice to see a full coverage like those two. I can almost see my Tarpans from your two... And it makes me distinctly want to encourage those large spots to take over.

I'm with you on that cremello too. It makes for some nice colorations however... I like my spots to be very distinctive and you really can only get that from darker colors against a white.

I also continued with the what AC horses give what for appaloosa patterning. However, I'm on a different computer right now (mine is not operational and needs fixing) so although I can offer you further info for that AC patterning, I can't offer anything beyond memory (which is lacking).
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:32 pm

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:32 pm