The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Black Oak Farms

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Black Oak Farms

Post by BlackOak2 »

Both Sold

Meet Just Bae

He is a wild bay pangare, belgian and fresian cross. Like the persian arabian colt I purchased before, this colt will be trained up and entered into competitions for a thorough record.

He will be put up for sale sometime after his training is complete. If you're interested in his purchase, contact me here in this log with your offer.

Meet Sunset Boulevard

She is a bay forest horse with champion foundation parents. She will be fully trained and entered into competitions for a thorough record. Although I really don't expect too much from her, both of her parents look as if they may carry strong competition hearts and I am hoping that they passed this trait on to her.

She will be put of for sale sometime after her training is complete. If you're interested in her purchase, contact me here in this log with your offer.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
stephanie111
Visit My Farm

Post by stephanie111 »

BlackOak2 wrote:low GP project...

Sometimes you get one revealing something you weren't expecting that makes you want another.
Such a great coloration for a dapple gray.
The coat is lovely! What breed are you using for the "crummy foal" project? I'm thinking of starting it, and using Shetlands from the adoption centre, but I wanted advice from someone who already has it going.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

stephanie111 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:low GP project...

Sometimes you get one revealing something you weren't expecting that makes you want another.

Such a great coloration for a dapple gray.
The coat is lovely! What breed are you using for the "crummy foal" project? I'm thinking of starting it, and using Shetlands from the adoption centre, but I wanted advice from someone who already has it going.
I'm not using any specific breed. I went into the sales market and scanned all the horses until I found a couple under 30,000 HGP. It's not too hard, there's usually a few. I purchased them and just started breeding using the same techniques you can use to get high HGP, I just used it aiming for the low side. I found that it's very difficult getting over the 20,000 HGP bump, just like it's a little hard getting over the 39,999 HGP bump.
What I am aiming for however, is to produce a smaller horse that doesn't require extra feed to keep them plump. As a side desire, I think I'll also try to make them dappled possibly with a greying gene. Once I get them under 10,000 HGP, they'll start going up for stud and perhaps also for sale.
Good luck if you try!
stephanie111
Visit My Farm

Post by stephanie111 »

BlackOak2 wrote:
stephanie111 wrote: The coat is lovely! What breed are you using for the "crummy foal" project? I'm thinking of starting it, and using Shetlands from the adoption centre, but I wanted advice from someone who already has it going.
I'm not using any specific breed. I went into the sales market and scanned all the horses until I found a couple under 30,000 HGP. It's not too hard, there's usually a few. I purchased them and just started breeding using the same techniques you can use to get high HGP, I just used it aiming for the low side. I found that it's very difficult getting over the 20,000 HGP bump, just like it's a little hard getting over the 39,999 HGP bump.
What I am aiming for however, is to produce a smaller horse that doesn't require extra feed to keep them plump. As a side desire, I think I'll also try to make them dappled possibly with a greying gene. Once I get them under 10,000 HGP, they'll start going up for stud and perhaps also for sale.
Good luck if you try!
Thanks! It was helpfu; reading that! If you want to decrease the size, I would go for Shetlands. I made a spare account once, and adopted one. I saw a few with 2 reds and a few neutral stats leaning to the negative side.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Dauntless Project

Meet the unnamed easy keeper project first generation foals.
It was difficult attempting to find acceptable offspring, even after I found acceptable foundation studs. Just like with the foundation foals, the first generation foals did not favor fillies. At a loss for having just one side to breed into (since these genes are recessive), and unable to locate an appropriate mare with these genes, I had to decide on keeping a mare that although she does not pass my cutoff markers, she at least offers a class when all other fillies fail to do so.
Without further ado:

Big Caliber gave me a nice looking colt, following in his father's footsteps, he classes a BE 5 but looses a little classing a EK 2. He was named Big Lonesome and categorized as a cutoff stud, considering his mother was quite high for the low GP project, he had the potential to have an HGP in the mid 35000 area.

Hopeful White offered a cream gene to his acceptable colt. He came out matching his father's class and was categorized also as a cutoff stud. He will probably do best siring foals strictly for the low GP project however.

Big Blue was a very difficult stud to obtain an acceptable offspring from. After trying a couple different mares and numerous breedings, I was finally able to get Blue Destiny from him. He outclasses his father easily and is probably the one carrying the strongest genes for this project. He has been categorized as a line stud and I hope to cross him to many mares for increasing these genes, stabilizing the passage of these genes and start heading toward the project's end goal.

Destined For Big Things, my best colt from the foundations, offered me two offspring. The first is was a colt that followed his father's classing very well. He was categorized strictly for the low GP project, but has offered no reds, so there is a slim chance I will cross him back into the lined horses.

Destined For Big Things also offered me my only mare that was able to class. She only just classes a 1 for both BG and EK, but I have her producing foals that are generally acceptable and more so. Luckily, she is also categorized as a cutoff, so she'll be swinging both ways decently easily.

And lastly, Blue White. This foundation stud was also able to offer me two offspring. Both males. Max Blue is a nice lined stud that doesn't quite match up to his father, but still classes very well with a BE 5 and EK 3.

And Relentless Light follows his brother Max Blue in class, but definitely fell under the category as low GP stud.

This isn't the easiest project to get off the ground, but it certainly has proven interesting so far. I have seen some correlation so far in size versus eating amount, but since fillies are born naturally slightly smaller, that doesn't offer much proof.

I have defined the end goal a little better for the project. I do want to make a line of giants, between 17 and 20 hands and also a line of minis, somewhere under 8 to about 10 hands but not mini-dwarfs. Along with this, since there is very heavy to very light body styles, I think it would be best to take the medium, so the project end goal is to have a mix of pony and horse types all grading a medium body style. That should prove easiest and most fitting for any who wants to add these specific genes into their programs.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

SOLD

Meet Set And Bast

She is a foundation Shire bred on my farm by the last two sales I had (located here).
She will be trained up, entered for a full competition record and then will be offered for sale.
She has been evaluated as a five point Shire.
Both of her parents offered a competition heart (her sire a much stronger one than her dam), so hopefully she'll have inherited that, but that has yet to be seen.

Contact me here for potential early purchase, otherwise she will most likely be posted for sale as she closes in toward her fifth birthday.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Dauntless Project

Herein named for this stud:

He comes down through Max Blue and has most of the original players of this project in his pedigree (I was already planning that). However, his COI comes in only as 35.48%, which is considerably low.
Since he successfully managed to categorize as a Cutoff, his genes will be passed on to both the low GP project and also straight into the Dauntless Project. I will be looking for some fresh blood, possibly going directly to some AC shetlands to start separating the two Dauntless lines.

He is a very nice looking, heavy, pony-type stallion.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

This is a great outcome for the low GP project. After injecting new blood into the line to weaken speed and agility (along with stamina and tempo), I have finally returned to the lowest numbers I have yet achieved.
A match between to 13k HGP horses, offered me a filly with an HGP of 10,950. It offers more substance that I'm about to break that line. So far, I haven't seen anybody else break the line.

King Bluebell's Crowned Princess
Last edited by BlackOak2 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

SOLD

Meet Valkyry

She is a Shire, Friesian cross and like the other Revolving Stock, she will be fully trained up and entered into competitions until she has a full comp record. After that, she will be offered for sale. Her grandparents succeeded in the show ring, even with weaker HGP, but her mother, although she held her own, she did not offer the same type of heart that her parents seemed to offer. We'll have to see if she inherited anything from her sire instead.

She evaluates a 4 star for a Gypsy Vanner.
She evaluates a 5 star for a Clydesdale.

She will certainly make a good breeder for somebody aiming for either of these breeds.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Dauntless Project

Meet the new blood I found (both come pre-named; I'm not in the habit of changing names unless in extreme or accidentally misspelled cases). They are both AC Belgians, which I am very happy about and only one offspring between the two of them (not a problem for this project, but I always like to have the option of getting rid of them if they don't work out).

Red Shot

If I classed her, she would probably rate at BE 1/EK 1, but as a general rule I don't class new blood, as long as they offer minimum requirements. In this case an acceptable mare must offer more pasture intake than pasture quality or (because sometimes this information isn't readily available) low nutritional requirements. I lucked out for both of these new mares, they both had been in 100% quality pastures. Alongside this (although not a requirement) is a max feed amount that surpasses the average or typical max feed of that hand height. In these cases, 19 hand horses often range from 40 kg to 60 kg for the types I'm looking for. This mare checks in at 69.4 kg. Not really that much higher, but it definitely makes an impact.

Midnight Sansa

If I classed this mare, she might top into the BE 1/EK 2 range... maybe... big maybe. I was even considering on dropping the breeder's mark in the beginning of her name, but only because she is an AC mare. Technically, she wasn't bred by anybody. And I probably would have, if not for her son. Should her son disappear (be rehomed) I may in the future drop that breeder's mark, it depends if she still lives or not. Her max feed comes in at 71.6kg.

Considering I've had so much trouble classing any of my mares, regardless of gene strength, finding these two was not only a long process, but a welcome procurement. It is important to get new blood into my programs because it lessens any negative genes I may not want, but injects genes that I may not know I need.
And of course, after only two mares from my program and plenty of stallions, now all of my stock are probably direct half siblings. :roll:
Last edited by BlackOak2 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:20 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:20 pm