Community Forum

Black Oak Farms

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Black Oak Farms

Post by BlackOak2 »

Hall Of Fame
Located here.

Breeding Leopard Tarpans.
List of AC stock added for conformation and color here.
List of AC stock to breed back toward fullblood here.
List of Returnee stock found here.

Low GP Project: side project for HGP below 10,000
(ongoing info on most pages)

Constellation Arabians

Thus entitled for being named after the constellations.
This is a new project that's officially in Phase II.
The information and progression of this project can be found here.
This project will be opening for public use very soon.

Dauntless Project: side project for easy keeper genes
Scrapped as of August 2022
(info links from first posted forward)
Foundation Sire project idea info found here.
First Info here.
First Generation Foal post here.
Project Naming post here.
New blood introduction here.
Phase change post here.
Finally achieving acceptable mares here.
Addition of new blood mares here.
Information of On-Hold status found here.
Resurrection - plus two successive posts
Small Mare Milestone - plus first appearance of bug
Project replies continue thereafter almost uninterrupted
Final post found here.

Stallions At Stud
Presenting Black Oak's Commonality
Now Retired
Leopard Tarpan project.
First Bay complex extension through neck on the game.
List of public studs, found here.

Sales
No sales of permanent stock at this time.
For all sales, check here.

Training Program
Will not be offering any training presently.
Presently offering Emergency Training only.
1 horse - $75,000
2 horses - $65,000 apiece
limit 2 horses
availability as room allows

Currently Out Of Date - inquire for availability and new info. - For the training program available at Black Oak Farms, see here.

Baby Trials
Black Oak Farms also hosts revolving Baby Trials for testing those all-so-important show stock and high-quality breeding stock. Always at level 1, set at 5 entry fee and offered to all baby breeds from 1 to 3 years. The new set will be posted shortly after the previous set runs (or the next time I sign in).
Find Currently Hosted Post Information here.
I use the following sets.

Edit: Please note that these trials are on hold for the time being. I have a lot of projects for springtime and find my online time limited at best.
Check out the new schedule and set on the currently hosted page here.

When entering, remember that certain competitions allow multiple entries and some do not. All but one Baby Trials English set allows multiple entries, that is Saddleseat. Western set, only Western Pleasure Does Not allow multiple entries. Driven/Racing set, there's only three that allow multiple entries, they are Driven Dressage, Marathon Driving and Obstacle Driving. I've marked the ones that DO NOT ALLOW multiple entries in red.

See next post below for the section to offer further insight into determining how likely your foal may perform well in events. This information has been compiled using competition scores and should offer insight into how an 'average' horse may perform from base baby standards (nominally untrained). As the game progresses and bloodlines get better or worse, the below data may change, quite drastically. However, since it has been noted that top and bottom limits for HGP are active, this data may still offer a base determination for what an 'average' horse should perform.

Other Information
For guides, studies and other links that I've authored, go to my Quick-Links and browse there.

Ideas To Note
**these are thoughts for me for future projects**feel free to tackle them yourself**
-->Newbie Breed Project, Arenberg-Nordkirchen riding horse from germany. May be a little more difficult to make, but that might not be a bad thing. Then there's the Sandalwood which is an indonesian horse. Arguably easier to make, except if memory is accurate, the sumba had it's problems. The first one is better for height for competitions. should come with a breeding pair, a grinder & one competent competition horse, but can be one of the breeding pair & can also be the grinder. Access to three more stallions for free & ten more broods for free, over the course of the next year. Access to free training for 5 horses? Or just half-off (10k)? should offer no-training entry competitions, then won't need to train, limit entry age to 4 years. And with mid-pots, will boost their needed income. Then trained-competitions would be 5 and up. will need to find a perfect competition for a 5-star of the breed. In this way, those that breed outside 5 star standard may begin to lose the ability to compete (different build, different body size will influence competition). Oh... I may need to rethink the breed with this in-light. moderate weight to mod-fleshy include: dressage, barrels & log pull. moderate only include: driven-dressage, obstacle & marathon then also west-pleasure & trail & working ranch and finally poles
I think we should avoid pairing any two of the three top stats (speed, stamina & strength) it's too hard to keep them bred together, so only one, or ideally none. so that ticks off logs, barrels, obstacle & marathon. W. pleasure doesn't include any of the top three. movement is incredibly hard to develop because of the missing hard-genes from the AC, so dressage & d. dressage should be striked out. W. pleasure also uses movement, but it's stat #3. W. trail and W. ranch have their 'top three' stat as #4. poles has it as #1, but with top three being speed and speed favoring light frames, but poles favoring moderate, it may be better to strike poles from the list as well. This leaves us with western pleasure, western trail & working ranch. intelligence is the easiest to maintain, as it's not affected by body conformation. I think we should focus on western pleasure, intelligence, balance, movement, tempo. Even though movement is hardest to build and perhaps maintain, it's paired with the three much easier stats to maintain. The other two (agility, balance, intelligence and either stamina or strength) are both sets, easy to maintain, but strength will favor heavier bodies. But I'm not sure about stamina. It doesn't appear stamina is grossly affected by build. But it does appear a teke-like front half is better for stamina.
After all of this, I think the sandalwood would be ideal for working ranch. but the other one would be ideal for w. trail or my preferred option of w. pleasure.
Nothing says we can't expand to include two breeds in the future, as an option, with three overall discipline options to help mitigate competition.
I'm actually thinking brown with serious pangare and silver. Uncertain on stockings/facial markings though. Could be more of a hassle breeding these To markings in than they're worth. But... it would certainly make for some interesting newbie breed concepts for them to see.
-->need to find my niche markets topic and refresh it
-->moving the community reminderssome of these are a bit older and more useful re-centralized into the quick-links main body now. although still community reminders, especially my interesting additions parts, are quite viable as guides. So... will need to take the time to move some of them around or just create a secondary link in respective areas. Should do archive in a reply below the main one for older community reminders and tidbits and hints section specifically for my own, just under the community reminder section? Or maybe I should highlight them as a 'tidbits and hints' within appropriate sections
-->guide on making pink horsesbasic and straightforward. I actually can link this one to the pangare leftovers, since I'll need maximum pangare for at least some of the pinks.
List of over 25 found here.
My Info: to link a direct post, copy & paste the address, then add '&p=' then post id # then '#p' and repeat post id #
so:

Code: Select all

address&p=123456#p123456
Last edited by BlackOak2 on June 8th, 2023, 8:31 pm, edited 63 times in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Black Oak Farms

Post by BlackOak2 »

What should I enter my horse into?
Most want to know what their horse might be good at. It is a great way to earn money, but only if your horse has a talent in a particular area. Some indications would be what their parents had a talent in, or what they were bred to develop, like strength or speed. So what happens if you don't have this information, or when the talents of their parents weren't determined? That's when you put your horse into a number of low level competitions and take a good look at the scores and also how many points they earn. Sometimes local competitions can help determine this for you, in my experience this has failed me. For this reason, I offer Baby Trials that run in a revolving schedule (noted in the first section of my farm page), but really any low level competition will do.

Now that I have some competition data, what is my horse most likely good at?
Horses who (most obviously) place first or second may have a talent in those competitions or have earned a lot of points in only one or two competitions and have leveled upward so quickly they are already unable to enter into lower levels. Points earned in level 1 of 4 or 5 is nominal for first place finishes, but sometimes your horse will earn points much higher and this could mean that your horse has a distinct talent in that competition. Also, I have a chart following that offers low scores versus high scores to determine what is a decent score and what is a failing performance.

What else should I keep in mind when entering my horse in competitions?
First and foremost, if you horse does poorly or worse in a competition, it doesn't mean your horse may not have a talent for it. Some talented horses don't have a strong competition heart. What this means is, they'll perform really well and pull a couple firsts then all of a sudden, they'll fail and loose a bunch of competitions in a row. Depending on how weak of a competition heart they have, will affect how poorly they perform. Some horses may win, loose, win, loose in a sequence. It goes without saying that horses with a strong competition heart will earn you more than those with weaker ones. There is a debate whether this too, is genetic, much like color, height and breeder's report (genes).
Second, just because your horse always places second or third, doesn't mean that your horse is failing or has a weak competition heart. It may be that your horse is simply being outperformed by another that is just so much better or has a stronger heart (this within reason, we really don't quite understand what a strong or weak competition heart may affect). Until those competitions run and scores are earned, the levels we can enter our horses into doesn't change (not that I've seen so far), so what does this mean? It means that a fully trained, 5 year old horse with multiple champions, may have been entered into 50 level 1 competitions and is beating everybody's butt and Only because those competitions just haven't finished running at the time you happened to enter yours. Don't worry, as soon as they run, that horse will earn score points and level up to a much higher level much more quickly.
Lastly (and arguably the one that might affect scores the most), training will change how horses perform in competitions.
Competition Data
I sorted them for Baby Trial Sets, also noted on how it's scored and what's not included (if anything). Left score is average high, right score is average low. If your horse is close to or hits the left score, your horse may be talented in that competition. If your horse scores on the right side, it's most likely Not talented in that competition. Of course there are those that will score much higher than the left score; these horses will most likely level up within only a few competitions. Then there are those that score much lower; these horses most likely have no talent for that competition at all and probably also have very poor conformation for that competition as well. Keep in mind that training should strengthen scores regardless of talents.
Those competitions highlighted in green offer a lot of divergence in scores, this may mean that there is a lot of higher level talent or it may mean that there is a lot of poorly talented horses often entered, or it may also mean there are a lot of horses with weak hearts.

Last Updated February of 2021
Also now including Record Holder averages.
Note: Aside from RH scores, the general good and bad averages are offered without a final score (base score only) where available because training, body weight and temperament will have a greater effect on the final score than the base average (arguably). By altering these three items, scores can be slightly or even drastically improved. It is up to the handler to figure out the best combination for any particular horse.

English

Cross Country
Scored by: penalty points
Record Holder AverageGood AverageLow Average
23 - 2433.3242.99
Dressage
Scored by: straight score
51%46.83%27.38
Hunter
55 - 5648.0729.04
In-Hand
Scored by: timed, faults not included (Record Holder, Final Score)
F.S. 2:13 - 2:1402:0602:19
Log Pull
Scored by: feet pulled
66 - 6760.2527.1
Saddleseat
Show Jumping
Scored by: timed, faults not included (Record Holder, Final Score)
F.S. 3:07 - 3:0903:1503:42

Driven/Racing

Driven Dressage
Scored by: straight score **Potentially Challenging**
56% - 57%50.87%32.67%
Endurance
Scored by: timed, condition not included (Record Holder, Final Score)
F.S. 1818.9921
Harness Racing
Scored by: timed **Relatively Challenging**
2:31 - 2:322.3703:00
Marathon Driving
Scored by: penalty points
20 - 2128.535.8
Obstacle Driving
57 - 5943.7528.65
Racing
Scored by: timed **Exceptionally Challenging**
1:57 - 1:5802:0302:22
Sprint Racing
Scored by: timed **Relatively Challenging**
00:39 - 00:4000:4300:49
Steeplechase
Scored by: timed
10:02 - 10:1210:4812:05

Western

Barrel Racing
00:2100:23.4700:25.96
Cutting
Scored by: number of cows penned
14 cows126
Pole Bending
00:2700:30.400:33.99
Reining
54 - 554227
Western Pleasure
Western Trail
60 - 614932
Working Ranch
63 - 655336

Please feel free to offer comments or possible changes. I may have overlooked something important. I don't train or participate in competitions myself other than the occasional assistance to help run some slower moving competitions.
Hope this data helps.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on October 18th, 2021, 4:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Jessi2
Visit My Farm

Post by Jessi2 »

BlackOak2 wrote:news...
Thank you Love the Baby classes. I had no idea till you posted this.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Jessi2 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:news...
Thank you Love the Baby classes. I had no idea till you posted this.
You're very welcome. I figured they might have been being overlooked. But when they do get noticed, they generally fill up quick.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Baby Trials English Set is up.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on December 31st, 2016, 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Baby Trials Driven & Racing Set is up.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Baby Trials Western Set is up.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Baby Trials English Set is up.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

low GP project...

Sometimes you get one revealing something you weren't expecting that makes you want another.
Such a great coloration for a dapple gray.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

low GP project...
Finally able to break that gnarly 13000 HGP line.
Filly with 12877.

Over ten generations. Hopefully she'll give me a couple under 10k and officially end the low GP project with a new family of minimal HGP horses.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on March 3rd, 2017, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Become a Patron!