Community Forum

Black Oak Farms

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Black Oak Farms

Post by BlackOak2 »

Low GP project.
Looking forward to what this boy gives me. Good looking colt. Such a shame he has such poor breeding comments... oh wait! that's what I'm going for. Ha... Ha...
Look, I made a funny.

The Gentleman Of Bell Toll Hill
Last edited by BlackOak2 on April 19th, 2017, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Starting to get somewhere. Inching like a dead snail, ever closer to the goal line.
She's a smart looking filly with a decently horrible report.
She makes the third horse that seems to be more promising than what I've been getting.
My Delight Of Blue Bells
Last edited by BlackOak2 on April 25th, 2017, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

First of my herd under 12000 HGP that also doesn't have any positive comments.

Solitary Tolling
Last edited by BlackOak2 on April 27th, 2017, 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Forgot to add... Thanks to a deal with Totina, I was able to add some new low GP blood to my lines. A stallion and a mare, that produced some decent foals and hopefully will strengthen the two areas (speed and agility) I'm finding most difficult to work lower.

Righteous Low

Stay Low

Otherwise, it's still a very slow process, a couple points here, a couple points there. What I am seeing happening, is that all of my horses are beginning to crawl closer to each other in HGP, which, in hindsight, should be happening anyway (considering there is much less points below them than there was when they were three times what they are now).
Last edited by BlackOak2 on May 19th, 2017, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

The Gentleman Of Bell Toll Hill

This stallion was only able to give me one adequate foal. So that was a disappointment. He wasn't able to match the five red comments or even match the HGP.
Irregular Blue Crown

But he was able to father two mares that are a bit more acceptable.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on May 31st, 2017, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

For those of you looking to get into the low GP project, you should keep this in mind. I had a filly born (I am not keeping her), that has a breeding report that reads:
Fairly weak filly here, not sure she'll hold up for you. Seems to have decent natural speed. I wouldn't count on this filly to win any lengthy races. Bloody filly keeps stepping on her own feet, doesn't move nice at all. This filly's pace needs a lot of work, but it's definitely not the worst I've seen lately. This filly looks like it could be pushed over by a breeze. Seems fairly agile, but hard to say for sure. I'm not sure this filly could find her way out of a paper bag.
Strength Stamina Movement Intelligence
Horse Genetic Potential: 12,930
I don't know how low some of these positive comments can still appear, so it is important that you make sure your bloodline isn't unnecessarily strong in some area. It can make breeding for weaker comments a much more difficult prospect.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on June 6th, 2017, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Dauntless Project Idea & low GP project info
So I've had to purchase some new stock to help weaken the genes for speed and agility in the low GP project. And in doing so, came across this stallion:
A Coral Hope

I purchased him first, then moved him into an appropriate pasture and went to add supplemental feed, only to find that his food requirements were extremely low. Which led me to thinking again about easy keepers versus hard keepers.

So on yet another little side project, I will be attempting to add these easy keeper genes into the low GP herd. I spent hours looking through his history and all of his family lineage to find others with his particular set of low food requirement genes and found that 98% of all of his kin actually had regular food requirements per size (so really huge requirements) and most of them needed or had supplemental feed added to their diets. I did eventually find two that have the low food requirements I was looking for. Both stallions. I had also received an acceptable filly from Coral Hope above and was in the process of aging her up in hopes of breeding to the one stallion that was up for stud. But I ran out of days and today when I got on, I checked on the stallion and he had since passed away (he was already in his twenties when I first looked at him). Not really a big deal.
The other stallion is neither for sale or for stud, and I am hesitant to make contact to purchase or stud the stallion when I can find other blood on the market.

So right now, that's what I did. I purchased a stud from the market:
Big White

Now... I'm not looking to add pattern into my herd. Or Cream either. And his HGP is a little high. So I'll have to put the low-food requirement line on a little of a side trail in order to keep my low GP project on track.

I will be looking for another low-food-requirement horse in the future and quite possibly a few of them to see if I can, in fact, breed these genes into my herd and make them effectively pass on to offspring.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on October 10th, 2017, 4:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

I had to inject some new blood to help with the strong speed and agility I have in my lines. I purchased quite a few horses including one from my other account again and after some time I was able to infuse this new blood and weakened speed and agility traits back into my project. Of course as I did so, my horses took a turn into the low 20000 HGP range, but with each successive breeding back into my regular stock (at the time between 11000 and 13000), the HGP dropped between 7000 and 10000 each generation. That's been three generations so far. The horses I purchased are since dead; the HGP are nominally all back under 15000.

Because of this new blood, I was recently able to produce this mare:
Flying Blueblood Contender

She is a very promising Breeder's Report mare that I have slated to offer just about as many acceptable offspring as she can, regardless of whether that is just one or upwards of fifteen plus. So far she has only offered one, this promising filly:
Final Blueblood Stretch

that not only has a very good Breeder's Report for my project, but a considerably high HGP (lower than her fathers).

So I gave her a name I may recall readily in the future to see if she's capable of putting me with enough red and no positive or neutral comments, that much closer to my goal. If she carries the correct traits for weakened genes, then no matter the stud I cross her with, she'll offer a weakening of each of the stats.
I'm hoping to get a half-blood colt with similar specs that they might just put me over that HGP line.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on July 21st, 2017, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Dauntless Project

Meet the unnamed easy keeper project line (I'll offer a name in the future when it hits me). So I have the new name of this project and I've decided to name it after the stallion that proves my theory that although these genes are recessive, there is certainly a gradient at work.

Hence, welcome to the Dauntless Project (see the stallion here).

Because of Coral Hope and Big White (the stallions I purchased before), I was successfully able to produce a few offspring that correctly carried the easy keeper genes I'm looking for.
I have made a short requirement list to define good easy keeper lines and not-so-good easy keeper lines. They're in two classes from 1 to 5 each (where 5 is the best outcome for easy keeper). Any classing below BE 3 or EK 2 are considered not to carry the strongest genes I'm looking for and are rehomed.

The genes I'm looking for do seem to be to be recessive (as I thought), but they also seem to have different gradients.

As a generally mock-up of the classes: BE (Big Eater) 1 is able to feed themselves entirely on 100% pasture quality. For most horses, this is unremarkable, but if you consider their size (16h and up), it does make an impact.
BE 5 horses can sustain themselves at some level below 45% pasture quality.

EK (Easy Keeper) 1 is able to eat enough of their requirements to fulfill between 100 and 200%.
EK 5 is anywhere above 500% of their daily requirements.

Both of these classes are related to each other, so a horse that classes a BE 5 shouldn't be able to class an EK 1, but there is a little room between the two classes, enough to have a BE 5 and an EK 3. And even enough to cull out those that are just on the borderline, which is why I designed the classes the way I did.

I've posted the pre-foundation studs (those were the two I purchased), so now I can introduce the foundation studs of the project line (no mares survived the cutoff; there were only 3 that had been born anyway). Just to be clear, Big White is the breed-back-to stud to set these recessive genes; all of these foundation studs are grandsons of Coral Hope:

Big Caliber

He was the third horse born to Big White and the first to pass the class cutoff line I have. He's scored a BE 5/EK 5 and although he is one of three that has this highest score, it doesn't mean he'll pass on this high gradient. It just means he has them.

Hopeful White

He was the fifth horse born to Big White and the second to pass the class cutoff line. He's scored a BE 5/EK 3 and does sport some nice patterns across his chestnut-based coat.

Big Blue

He's the sixth horse born and the third to pass. He's the shortest of the acceptable studs at 20.2h and also scored out the lowest at BE 4/EK 2. He just makes the cutoff but sports a very nice extended blanket on agouti base.

Destined For Big Things

He's the eighth horse born and the fourth to pass. He is the full brother of Big Blue and scored out much better than his older brother with a BE 5/EK 5. Again, even with the highest gradient, it doesn't mean he'll pass it on. However, he does sport the highest BE and EK actual score of any of his brothers, offering enlightenment that it's not necessarily the size of the horse that enables the ability to eat more.

Blue White

He's the ninth horse born and the fifth and final to pass (I had a total of about 12 foals from Big White before his death). He is the full brother to both Hopeful White and Big Caliber and sports a score of BE 5/EK 5. He is the shortest of his two full brothers but also has a higher gradient then either of them as well. He follows his father's footsteps and all of his acceptable brothers by offering leopard complex (Lp gene is not on my list for necessary in this project and in fact I think it will be one thing I'll probably breed out, but for now I don't care either way).

I have begun to cross these foundation sires back into the lines that already carry easy keeper genes and for those that pass the class scoring, will be categorized into low GP project and Not low GP project based on their HGP and Breeder's Report.
Those that are categorized as Not will be bred preferring smaller sizes and hopefully in the future I'll be able to offer dwarfed easy keeper lines and giant easy keeper lines for public access.
The easy keeper mares and studs will be categorized as: Low GP ---> Lined ---> (or) Cutoff
Check out the first generation foals here.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on August 23rd, 2017, 12:03 pm, edited 9 times in total.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

SOLD
Meet Quake The Heights.

He is a purebred Persian Arabian sporting a wild bay blanket.
I purchased him from his breeder to be trained up and perform in competitions.
He is not part of my breeding projects and when I have fully trained and have achieved an adequate competition record, he will be again placed for sale (and probably also for stud), to enter into a home that can utilize him for his genetic makeup.
He scores at least four stars for each of the breeds that can be created from a Persian Arabian and scores five stars for his own breed.

Although he is not presently at sale, he is available for purchase for the right price. He will not be offered for stud until after his training has been completed.

Feel free to contact me with an offer.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on August 7th, 2017, 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Become a Patron!