The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by Silverine »

Totina wrote:
I have horses like these stallions with full or almost-full coverage on both rights legs, yet somehow in the process I have lost the very front portion of the left front leg. Now I have to work on getting that back. -_- And coverage over the hip varies between generations but I can usually convince my horses to cover that up.

Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

I have not had anything new to report for quite some time, other than that I have confirmed that arabians carry genes for spot density, forest horses carry genes for medium and large spots and it also seems like forest horses offer the genes for mixed sized spots as well.
I just got a colt out of an AC forest horse stallion and it looks like he got 3 different sized spots at the same time: small, normal and medium.
From almost all the AC forest horses I have tried so far, they have offered the extra small spots to their foals combined with normal/medium/large spots. This is the first one though with extra small spots and a few normal sized spots and medium sized spots.

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:I have not had anything new to report for quite some time, other than that I have confirmed that arabians carry genes for spot density, forest horses carry genes for medium and large spots and it also seems like forest horses offer the genes for mixed sized spots as well.
I just got a colt out of an AC forest horse stallion and it looks like he got 3 different sized spots at the same time: small, normal and medium.
From almost all the AC forest horses I have tried so far, they have offered the extra small spots to their foals combined with normal/medium/large spots. This is the first one though with extra small spots and a few normal sized spots and medium sized spots.
I have been wondering about if we could have more than just two different sized spots.
I haven't had anything new to report either. I have right now an experiment for agouti spreading (the same one I mentioned after Commonality was born), but thus far has offered nothing either.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Nothing new on my end, but I did find an interesting little bit of color expression in a mane.

This horse is bay. His mane and tail were black at birth and then both varnished out with age. But one spot on his mane started varnishing and then went back to being black, which I have never seen before. Anyone else seen this?

You can see in the above picture where the small spot at the base of his neck is darker than the rest. And here he is now:
TopazTiria
Visit My Farm

Post by TopazTiria »

I think the graying mane, tail, and coat effect is due to the leopard genes. I've had a number of spotted horses go through such changes as they progressed into their elder years.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Silverine wrote:Nothing new on my end, but I did find an interesting little bit of color expression in a mane.

This horse is bay. His mane and tail were black at birth and then both varnished out with age. But one spot on his mane started varnishing and then went back to being black, which I have never seen before. Anyone else seen this?
I think that the tiny bit of mane that is not varnished is caused by a hidden spot at the area which is visible after the area around it varnished out. The effect is similar to near leopard horses with white manes where some of the hidden spots make the mane stripy:

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Totina wrote: I think that the tiny bit of mane that is not varnished is caused by a hidden spot at the area which is visible after the area around it varnished out. The effect is similar to near leopard horses with white manes where some of the hidden spots make the mane stripy:

That was my thought as well, but it surprised me because it did varnish at first and then went back to being black - and in fact got darker than it had ever been in the first place. Just an odd sequence of events.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Silverine wrote:
That was my thought as well, but it surprised me because it did varnish at first and then went back to being black - and in fact got darker than it had ever been in the first place. Just an odd sequence of events.
On my screen it doesn't look like that specific part of the mane actually varnished first. As the mane varnished out it just became more distinct and then it got slightly darker, which could be the effect of sooty in the mane.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Again, nothing new, but I wanted to share the gorgeous snowflakes on this mare:
Yearling
ImageImage
Four Years
ImageImage
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:Again, nothing new, but I wanted to share the gorgeous snowflakes on this mare:
Makes me think of some of those snowflake horses that look more like roaned horses. It also makes me wonder just how heavy that snowflake can get on here.
Very nice outcome.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:00 pm

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:00 pm