The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by BlackOak2 »

What I find I don't seem to have, is cheek coverage, like your horses are offering, Silverine.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:What I find I don't seem to have, is check coverage, like your horses are offering, Silverine.
Just for clarification - do you mean mine have more cheek coverage than yours do, or are they about the same?
And have you been able to get nose coverage?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:What I find I don't seem to have, is check coverage, like your horses are offering, Silverine.
Just for clarification - do you mean mine have more cheek coverage than yours do, or are they about the same?
And have you been able to get nose coverage?
I have NO cheek coverage at all. Okay, so maybe a past chestnut horse of my herd had a nearly full coat with cheek coverage, but I don't believe so, and I don't have any (I think) alive right now with it. I get snowflakes there, but even my fewspots don't seem to cover cheeks.
So far I haven't had any more born with agouti spread. As far as the the non-agouti, my previous post with the splashed face is as close as I've gotten with the nose coverage.

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: I have NO cheek coverage at all. Okay, so maybe a past chestnut horse of my herd had a nearly full coat with cheek coverage, but I don't believe so, and I don't have any (I think) alive right now with it. I get snowflakes there, but even my fewspots don't seem to cover cheeks.
So far I haven't had any more born with agouti spread. As far as the the non-agouti, my previous post with the splashed face is as close as I've gotten with the nose coverage.

Oh, okay. Cheeks don't seem to be too much of an issue in my herd. Lower jaw, around the eye, and nose is what I'm having trouble with. Some blackies with cheek white:

I posted the red foal from before because I thought it was interesting how his parents would throw a red foal that had the nose-white, but not a black one, and thought perhaps there's another key to getting the white on the nose for black horses that we haven't found yet. If you notice the white pattern on the face of the second horse above, it seems to be behaving like we had at the shoulder previously. It's the exact same white mark time and again with nothing moving past it apart from one or two little flecks that are always the same, like the small white part of the mane from before.
Last edited by Silverine on Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: Half Pattern
This pattern has been showing up in my herd for generations (and apparently is still popping up :roll: ). When I get this pattern, it seems to always show up without any missing spot areas like the flank to hip. Almost like the back half is one horse and the front half is another. It's also very often defined by that same line-end pattern that's seen here.

I don't know if there's commonalities like these in everybody's lines, but I do see some of these patterns pop up in his offspring.
So are these shared genetics? Or are these from my herd specifically?
Missed this post before and wanted to add that before I added blood from Commonality all of my horses that had large spread passed on the large spread with occasional variations in leg patterns or shoulder coverage. But since I've added blood from Commonality I've had foals that come out like your Half Pattern above. So it seems like it's something running around in your herd. I wonder what it is.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

I know that we're working on a lot of different genes and alleles for these patterns, but what comes up just seems like a LOT more than what we have! LOL

I can't comment on the cheek patterns. I'm a little loath to agree to any 'stuck' issues on patterns nominally because bloodlines are made up of everything that's been input into them. When stuck patterns appear on unrelated bloodlines, then I can agree that they can be potentially related issues. It's one of the reasons I like working with closed bloodlines.

The half pattern is very interesting because it never shows up with the blank flank area. It's either full half pattern or some other pattern entirely.
I don't know if it's meaningful or not.
But having certain patterns that always appear makes it much easier to follow when a new pattern comes up (especially handy when adding new blood).
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

I've started trying to find some good new blood since I realized the issue with the nose on my horses. I've added some blood from one or two outside stallions to see if that helps. But what makes me think it's more of a stuck-on-black issue is that the same parents that seem unable to throw it on black can throw it on a chestnut. But we'll see what happens as things progress.

And I wish I'd saved some pictures of my half-patterns, but I rehomed them all.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

She's really hard to see just now, but I think she's agouti spread from Commonality's full brother. She's out of a bay mare as a test subject. Of course, she may very well be chestnut and not agouti, I can't tell from her newborn coat.
They share the same dam, but studs are different. They share nominally different bloodlines on the stud side for a few generations (there is and is expected to be repeating horses, but in this case, only one in multiple generations).
Rising Nominal
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:She's really hard to see just now, but I think she's agouti spread from Commonality's full brother. She's out of a bay mare as a test subject. Of course, she may very well be chestnut and not agouti, I can't tell from her newborn coat.
They share the same dam, but studs are different. They share nominally different bloodlines on the stud side for a few generations (there is and is expected to be repeating horses, but in this case, only one in multiple generations).
Rising Nominal
Based on the tail I'm going to say she's chestnut. Bays have a brown tail at birth and browns can be brown or black. But hers is bright red. :(
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Nothing new, but I wanted to post this picture of a horse I saw. Her baby pictures almost looks like a sabino pattern because her white areas are darker than her cremello ones. XD

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:47 pm

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:47 pm