The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
Based on the tail I'm going to say she's chestnut. Bays have a brown tail at birth and browns can be brown or black. But hers is bright red. :(
If she is, so be it. She comes from a pair of agouti's so it's more than possible, I suppose! :lol:
Silverine wrote:...stuck-on-black issue is that the same parents that seem unable to throw it on black can throw it on a chestnut...
It's also entirely possible that it's unrelated to the black as well. It could be that it's just flipping the coin in that manner (annoyingly so).
I could say as much for the half patterns of mine. The parents of such horses will throw anything from a neck down pattern to a blanket and have been known to appear on chestnuts and agouti's alike.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:Nothing new, but I wanted to post this picture of a horse I saw. Her baby pictures almost looks like a sabino pattern because her white areas are darker than her cremello ones. XD

These are always so unique! Still looking forward to see white patterns added.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Okay, so I just realized I do have two with some cheek coloration... but... they're not impressive.

They're also fewspot chestnuts with almost full covering.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Look at what I just had born. From the mare that mirrors Commonality.

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:Look at what I just had born. From the mare that mirrors Commonality.

Cute. New cheeks for you. :)
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

My latest colt. Progressing with the white down the legs combined with neck coverage. Would like him to cover up the spot on his butt, but that will come.

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Such cute skullcaps with those black faces!

Call them the skullcapped appaloosas.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

I bought this cute filly with the hopes that she'll be able to help bring white to the noses of my blackies. She seems to come from a few different lines with nice white on the faces, even if they are all red-based. And if it doesn't work at least she's cute. XD

Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Not much progress but something pretty interesting anyway that I wanted to share.
I got this colt with an odd line of spots on the head, splitting his face into two sections. When taking a closer look at his pedigree it seems like this kind of pattern is inheritable since his dam has the same pattern (but denser) which in turn has got it from her sire.

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:Not much progress but something pretty interesting anyway that I wanted to share.
I got this colt with an odd line of spots on the head, splitting his face into two sections. When taking a closer look at his pedigree it seems like this kind of pattern is inheritable since his dam has the same pattern (but denser) which in turn has got it from her sire.
Yeah, I'm really liking each one of our separate bloodline idiosyncrasies. Silverine's recent skullcap patterning, my own half-pattern, and much of your earlier ones (the ones we were discussing on the low GP topic and those in the beginning of this post also, including this spot face split).

I'm just about ready to send Commonality to freeze over to silverine. I know you've been trying to get one of your mares to produce an acceptable foal from him. Do you still want him left up for you? I plan on moving him over for freezing in the next couple days.
Otherwise, we'll just have to ask to have him put up whenever we want him. (I don't know how many spots Silverine has access to for at-public-stud)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:38 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:38 pm