The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by Silverine »

QuesthavenFarms wrote: She's pretty. What's a false leopard?
Lp terminology differs from person to person. Mine are as follows:

Leopard - full leopard spots caused by PATN1
Fewspot - full fewspot pattern caused by PATN1
False Leopard - mimics full leopard, but caused by PATN2 (the patches of color)
False Fewspot - mimics full fewspot, but caused by PATN2
Near Leopard - PATN2 covering most of the body but not quite enough to be a leopard pattern
Near Fewspot - PATN2 covering most of the body but not quite enough to be a fewspot pattern
Extended Blanket - 1x Lp PATN2 but not enough for Near Leopard
Blanket - 1x Lp PATN2 from midsection back
Hip Blanket - 1x Lp PATN2 covering only hips and buttocks
Snowcap - Any 2x Lp PATN2 without white on the neck and face
QuesthavenFarms
Visit My Farm

Post by QuesthavenFarms »

Silverine wrote:
QuesthavenFarms wrote: She's pretty. What's a false leopard?
Lp terminology differs from person to person. Mine are as follows:

Leopard - full leopard spots caused by PATN1
Fewspot - full fewspot pattern caused by PATN1
False Leopard - mimics full leopard, but caused by PATN2 (the patches of color)
False Fewspot - mimics full fewspot, but caused by PATN2
Near Leopard - PATN2 covering most of the body but not quite enough to be a leopard pattern
Near Fewspot - PATN2 covering most of the body but not quite enough to be a fewspot pattern
Extended Blanket - 1x Lp PATN2 but not enough for Near Leopard
Blanket - 1x Lp PATN2 from midsection back
Hip Blanket - 1x Lp PATN2 covering only hips and buttocks
Snowcap - Any 2x Lp PATN2 without white on the neck and face
Thanks!!
texí
Visit My Farm

Post by texí »

Silverine wrote:
texí wrote:
I'm done with Gentle Light if you're still interested in her.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/910327

Yes I'm! :)
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

texí wrote:
Silverine wrote:
I'm done with Gentle Light if you're still interested in her.
http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/910327

Yes I'm! :)
She's up for offers. Whatever you think is fair.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Latest filly. I'd like more coverage on her legs but am otherwise very happy. :)

¤ß¥Å¤ Pauline
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

While I have been working on upgrading my colour guide I have been thinking about the pattern genes and how I am supposed to describe them in the text.

I don't know if we actually have found the PATN1 gene already or if it is still hidden but I wonder if the PATN1 gene itself causes white to appear or if it only allows for the PATN2 genes to appear on more places like the head/neck and lower parts of the legs.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:While I have been working on upgrading my colour guide I have been thinking about the pattern genes and how I am supposed to describe them in the text.

I don't know if we actually have found the PATN1 gene already or if it is still hidden but I wonder if the PATN1 gene itself causes white to appear or if it only allows for the PATN2 genes to appear on more places like the head/neck and lower parts of the legs.
I'm with you on that.
I was considering what we know about these two types of pattern genes and how they're supposed to react. If Pattern 1 is supposed to offer only a full leopard pattern and that's what the genes in real life says, then I'm of the belief that since they want to keep this possibly as close to real life as program-ably possible, that they did indeed put something into the program for a true full leopard.
It's supposed to be rarer in real life and we also don't understand exactly how it works as hand-in-hand with pattern 2 genes or as an expression that can only offer itself in spite of pattern 2... or otherwise. It's the same on here, we just don't know how it expresses itself. So we don't know if we're working with just the one or both.
But since it's full leopard or no leopard in real life with pattern 1, I can only believe that admin also put this in a similar way into our game.
The question is, how to find it?
I was debating about the AC horses and breeding back to a fewspot and seeing if any of the AC horses offers a foal without any leopard pattern at all. That could be a way to find the PATN1, since a fewspot will always offer leopard complex, but if the AC carries the PATN1 and that pattern can only express as a full or no... perhaps that could work? But that works with the belief that PATN1 will express itself and disable PATN2 genes.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Totina wrote:While I have been working on upgrading my colour guide I have been thinking about the pattern genes and how I am supposed to describe them in the text.

From what I've seen I'm guessing it's the latter. Most of my white-necks, when bred together, give me other white-necks or occasionally some extended blankets that at least reach the shoulders. And then other times - the times when I'm guessing the PATN1 (or something like it) is not passed on - I end up with just a small hip blanket/snowcap.

But of course it's possible that what we've found is not PATN1. But until we do find something that behaves like PATN1 there's no real way to know for sure.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

I got a surprise red baby and wanted to share it with everyone since it's rather interesting. The white coverage was exactly the same as on my black horses except that this foal had white down its nose as well. That is something I have not been able to accomplish on the black yet. Possibly there is yet another "key" that unlocks the nose that we haven't found yet?

Mom and dad:
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

I don't know if it's relevant, but I have a couple types of patterns in my herd that may explain a little about Commonality's get patterns:
'Max' Spread
Basic neck coverage as seen in agouti and blacks before spread with varying degrees of leg coverage (including difficult areas) and varying degrees of girth coverage and flank to hip coverage.
If I'm getting nearly-full coverage as much as half of all my foals born come out with this pattern, including my chestnuts.

Spot Extension
This is a within-two-generation pattern that's begun to pop up. This patch on the neck usually has the exact same pattern, almost like an extension of the neck spot that pops up on the neck at 'max spread' (pictured above).

Neck Crawl
This appears half the time when the Max Spread does not (so about 25% of all my foals born). The neck crawl flows up the mane and to the skullcap and has varying degrees of neck coverage, often looking like a spot extension with some extra mane area coverage (like the picture for splashed face).

Splashed Face
When I get some sort of neck crawl, there's a chance I'll get this splashed face. Usually, it's just the nose looking like it's dipped in paint, sometimes it's just the nostril area but it's very rarely connected to the skullcap white. It's just hanging out there at the end of the nose.

Half Pattern
This pattern has been showing up in my herd for generations (and apparently is still popping up :roll: ). When I get this pattern, it seems to always show up without any missing spot areas like the flank to hip. Almost like the back half is one horse and the front half is another. It's also very often defined by that same line-end pattern that's seen here.

Cape
Like the half pattern, this cape has been showing up for long generations. It appears as shown here, with a hook on the shoulders that makes it look like a cape has been attached and it has varying degrees of coverage over the hips and down the back legs. This picture offers nominally what they come out as, with missing stomach coverage and missing flank to hip coverage and actually offers decent coverage down the back legs.

I don't know if there's commonalities like these in everybody's lines, but I do see some of these patterns pop up in his offspring.
So are these shared genetics? Or are these from my herd specifically?
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:00 am

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:00 am