The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by Totina »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Yeah, I'm really liking each one of our separate bloodline idiosyncrasies. Silverine's recent skullcap patterning, my own half-pattern, and much of your earlier ones (the ones we were discussing on the low GP topic and those in the beginning of this post also, including this spot face split).

I'm just about ready to send Commonality to freeze over to silverine. I know you've been trying to get one of your mares to produce an acceptable foal from him. Do you still want him left up for you? I plan on moving him over for freezing in the next couple days.
Otherwise, we'll just have to ask to have him put up whenever we want him. (I don't know how many spots Silverine has access to for at-public-stud)
I would like to have a stallion available with white on the neck and black based, whether it is Commonality or another stallion doesn't matter. I only got fillies from him but I guess I could use them and hope for a colt and try to extend the pattern in the next generation. The most preferable option would be to not wait another generation.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:
I would like to have a stallion available with white on the neck and black based, whether it is Commonality or another stallion doesn't matter. I only got fillies from him but I guess I could use them and hope for a colt and try to extend the pattern in the next generation. The most preferable option would be to not wait another generation.
Silverine said she wanted to save him; that she's saved other 'landmark' horses. I have no problem with keeping him around for quite some time, but I don't have a freezing account.
Silverine wrote:...
Silverine, when I send Commonality over to you, can you keep him up for awhile yet? Actually, I'm crossing him into an AC mare to see what that match gives me (she's been offering some decent pattern coverage).

I haven't yet been able to produce another agouti extension from parallel bloodlines, so I don't yet know where it could have come from and his full sibling brother has offered nothing either, so I don't think he inherited whatever genes Commonality has. I'm still working on it. I'll find something... in time.
QuesthavenFarms
Visit My Farm

Post by QuesthavenFarms »

I had to share this one. Spots are so big it almost looks like a paint.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Totina wrote:
Certainly I can keep him up. :) I also currently have one of my black-based white-necked boys at stud, though his price is rather exorbitant because I felt he was being a little "abused." :lol: But I can lower his price if you'd like to use him. This is him.

Just let me know when you're ready to freeze Commonality and I'll be happy to set him up.
QuesthavenFarms
Visit My Farm

Post by QuesthavenFarms »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:
Totina wrote:
Certainly I can keep him up. :) I also currently have one of my black-based white-necked boys at stud, though his price is rather exorbitant because I felt he was being a little "abused." :lol: But I can lower his price if you'd like to use him. This is him.

Just let me know when you're ready to freeze Commonality and I'll be happy to set him up.
Sorry for abusing. :oops: He really did help me get those white ears and beyond and I very much appreciate it.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Silverine wrote:

I'm fine with a higher price since I have loads of money that I don't even know what to do with. Paying the stud fee of a nice stallion is the least of my problems at the moment. ;)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:...
I'll keep him in mind. If Commonality can give me an acceptable filly from the AC mare that I like, I may just cross it back into yours. I'm not concerned with higher stud fees either (I don't use them often enough for that).

I'll have my stud up shortly (then switch over to my other account so he doesn't pass by turning 17!). Take him for $1. I'll keep his stud ad up to date (there's a few comps that haven't finished running). I wanted to get a grand titles in three of his comps, but that's not going to happen. Way too many points between what he has and the next level.
Oh well.
I really think he did great though, considering he has two reds, a low HGP score of 31442 and still was able to pull nine champions and reach level 3 in eight of those nine.
Better horses have done less than he.

Keep his fee at 2000 (for my head, I won't be asking anything back for him, including stud fees if I ever breed to him). If you ever unfreeze the account, just send him back. We (or I) can decide if he should still be around or not. But I suppose that's obvious! Ha! :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Besides working on the black based pattern I have successfully created two lines out of my chestnut based horses with different kinds of pattern.

The first one is near leopards with a completely, or nearly completely, white right hind leg like these two:

And the other is a line of almost near leopards with extended white on the right front leg:

My next goal is to combine the two lines to get a complete body leopard pattern and then start looking for the last few genes I need to get the other areas covered as well.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

QuesthavenFarms wrote:
Silverine wrote:

Sorry for abusing. :oops: He really did help me get those white ears and beyond and I very much appreciate it.
Oh, it wasn't just you! I logged on and had over 100 breedings to him after only having him up for a few hours. It was ridiculous.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:12 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:12 am