The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by Silverine »

And here's another baby showing varnish before 1 year:

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
So it seems that along with your super slow varnish, we can also have varnish that starts to show before the horse turns a year old. This colt of mine is a little over a year now, but his varnish started to show before his first birthday.

Here's the varnish on his neck when I first noticed it at around 11 months:
That is extremely interesting! I wonder if it's directly connected to black or not? I can't say I've noticed the varnish appearing before a year, but my bay's and brown's may be harder to detect simply because of the color (and not that I'm just blind :lol: ). I'll keep my eye's out for this occurring in my own stock, see if I can get some pictures on agouti foals.

I'm still behind you on the expressions of Lp, so I have no new progress to report. In fact, that nose-covered foal I sent to you was the last one I produced... yet. It seems that I keep making short bounds into new territory before retreating and filling in other areas.

Here's three of a growing handful of facial coverage to date. You can also see that I'm slowly filling in the same problem areas you and Totina have come across. So I suppose that means anybody breeding for false leopard will go through the same rough patches we did, regardless of base color. I haven't yet had any with color around the eyes or down the nose.

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:And here's another baby showing varnish before 1 year:
I didn't catch it before 1 year, but I have one with fresh AC tarpan blood (filly's sire) with varnish at 1 year:

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Silverine wrote:And here's another baby showing varnish before 1 year:
I didn't catch it before 1 year, but I have one with fresh AC tarpan blood (filly's sire) with varnish at 1 year:

I've had it popping up a lot recently. I'm going to go back through and check out the yearling pictures to see how long it's been there without me noticing.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
No new patches, but I finally got the patches I had to connect:

I'm pretty sure the big non-white area near the bottom of his muzzle (separating the little white triangle from the bigger white area around his nostril) is just a big spot, but I'll know more once he starts to varnish. (His sire varnished early, so hopefully it won't take too long to figure out.
irishrose
Visit My Farm

Post by irishrose »

Is anyone working on Snowflakes? I breed snowflakes on this and my other account.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

irishrose wrote:Is anyone working on Snowflakes? I breed snowflakes on this and my other account.
Not actively as far as a I know, but I have some pretty interesting ones here.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Holy face genes, Batman! Look what my herd just popped out!

Still nothing around the eye, but she's got darn near everything else.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Silverine wrote:.
Really nice face markings on a non-chestnut base you got there!

I have been gone from the game for a while but I am back in action, ready to continue with my leopard project. So far I have managed to collect a few horses with no apparent pattern genes (I will need to test them a little to really make sure they only have the LP switch and nothing else). These horses could help determine what pattern genes are hiding in the different AC breeds.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Totina wrote:
FINALLY! Neck AND face! It's been super frustrating to get to this point. She's missing a spot or two on her rump and legs, but that'll come eventually.

Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:03 am

It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:03 am