The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:Went on hiatus for a while, so nothing new to report, but check out the white space on this filly:
Welcome back.
I'm in and out recently myself.
That's some really nice white spread. I have large blank white areas on my necks, but I haven't really gotten much increased beyond that (I'm also not trying).

Though I haven't pinned down which AC breed carries it, I did find that very slow varnish is achievable.
Bay Dun stud at 1 year:
Now at 5 years:
And now at 20 years:

It also looks like bronzing can affect not just black-based horses but any black area on bays or browns.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:Went on hiatus for a while, so nothing new to report, but check out the white space on this filly:
Kind of funny she came from two essentially fully spotted parents.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: Though I haven't pinned down which AC breed carries it, I did find that very slow varnish is achievable.

It also looks like bronzing can affect not just black-based horses but any black area on bays or browns.

Kind of funny she came from two essentially fully spotted parents.
That's very pretty. I wonder if no visible varnish is achievable.

And yeah, that was actually in the original post when Lp first came out - bronzing affects all black areas, not just horses that are black all over.

Yeah. XD I'm not actually breeding for the large white areas, so its funny when they pop up. It is pretty, though.

Also, here is the latest in the line from I'm A Patterned Blueblood:

It took a while to get them back up to the shoulders, but once they were there it was an immediate jump to full coverage on the neck and head (minus nose). Still no hint of the rest of the face coverage, but the blood is very diluted at this point.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Also, if anyone needs coverage along the flank and front of the near thigh, let me know. I've got some boys that can help you out. This is where I'm at as far as that goes:

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote: That's very pretty. I wonder if no visible varnish is achievable.

And yeah, that was actually in the original post when Lp first came out - bronzing affects all black areas, not just horses that are black all over.

Yeah. XD I'm not actually breeding for the large white areas, so its funny when they pop up. It is pretty, though.

Also, here is the latest in the line from I'm A Patterned Blueblood:

It took a while to get them back up to the shoulders, but once they were there it was an immediate jump to full coverage on the neck and head (minus nose). Still no hint of the rest of the face coverage, but the blood is very diluted at this point.
I guess somewhere along the line, I got it in my head that the black from black-based and the black from agouti could or was handled differently.

I am working toward no or at least 'no visible' varnish. That is actually my project leopard tarpan goal. Although, I thought I'd have to wait to tackle that until after I got full pattern. So it's nice that my lines are already starting to slow down their varnish.

It's a shame that horse didn't do more for you. By that foal picture, it certainly seemed very promising. But it may only be a matter of a couple more generations to get enough of those genes in that cup.

I get an occasional teacup nose coverage, but I'm not full-facial yet either.

I've been seeing a few more non-chestnut, large-coverage leopards on the market recently, all tracking back to your stock. It's nice to see them. I almost can identify them on spot. 'Must be a Silverine bloodline.' Haha! :lol:
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: I guess somewhere along the line, I got it in my head that the black from black-based and the black from agouti could or was handled differently.

I am working toward no or at least 'no visible' varnish. That is actually my project leopard tarpan goal. Although, I thought I'd have to wait to tackle that until after I got full pattern. So it's nice that my lines are already starting to slow down their varnish.

It's a shame that horse didn't do more for you. By that foal picture, it certainly seemed very promising. But it may only be a matter of a couple more generations to get enough of those genes in that cup.

I get an occasional teacup nose coverage, but I'm not full-facial yet either.

I've been seeing a few more non-chestnut, large-coverage leopards on the market recently, all tracking back to your stock. It's nice to see them. I almost can identify them on spot. 'Must be a Silverine bloodline.' Haha! :lol:
You just have to remember that all of the black is caused the same genes. :) Any black at all is showing up because there's no extension to restrict it. Then the black on the bays and browns is only in certain areas because the agouti gene says "no black here." The recessive just means there's no restriction. ;)

I haven't given up on her yet. That foal pictured is several generations down the line. I'm going to breed him back to some girls that are more closely descended from your girl and then work those up. Hopefully that way anything that's there that may have gotten lost through the gens will pop back up.

Teacup on black-base or red-base? If black-base I'd be interested in maybe getting a breeding to one if you're willing to share. :)

That's hilarious! I do the same thing, though. I can almost immediately pinpoint any black-based leopard that ISN'T related to mine. XD The genes in my herd are just so strong that it's hard to deviate from them.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
You just have to remember that all of the black is caused the same genes. :) Any black at all is showing up because there's no extension to restrict it. Then the black on the bays and browns is only in certain areas because the agouti gene says "no black here." The recessive just means there's no restriction. ;)

I haven't given up on her yet. That foal pictured is several generations down the line. I'm going to breed him back to some girls that are more closely descended from your girl and then work those up. Hopefully that way anything that's there that may have gotten lost through the gens will pop back up.

Teacup on black-base or red-base? If black-base I'd be interested in maybe getting a breeding to one if you're willing to share. :)

That's hilarious! I do the same thing, though. I can almost immediately pinpoint any black-based leopard that ISN'T related to mine. XD The genes in my herd are just so strong that it's hard to deviate from them.
Yeah, I forget that about the black. One of these days I'm sure it'll eventually sink in, like double pearl causes dark eyes while double cream and cream/pearl causes blue. That finally sunk in! Ha!

I still have that project running, the low GP where I'm A Patterned Blueblood came from. I'm more than willing to sell you a mare or stallion that I'm through with. They're all inter-related now, so whatever genes she had, should still be very strong in the ones I have alive right now. Just let me know.

All of my leopard tarpans are agouti now. Some I have confirmed are single red carriers, but I think most are double E.
Let me see if I can find a teacup-printed nose. I have a few of the born, but I don't necessarily keep them. Danged Pangare and silver are being SO difficult to breed out. It's funny how a single gene can pass on for generation after generation, like it's doubled up, when in fact, it is not.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: I still have that project running, the low GP where I'm A Patterned Blueblood came from. I'm more than willing to sell you a mare or stallion that I'm through with. They're all inter-related now, so whatever genes she had, should still be very strong in the ones I have alive right now. Just let me know.

All of my leopard tarpans are agouti now. Some I have confirmed are single red carriers, but I think most are double E.
Let me see if I can find a teacup-printed nose. I have a few of the born, but I don't necessarily keep them. Danged Pangare and silver are being SO difficult to breed out. It's funny how a single gene can pass on for generation after generation, like it's doubled up, when in fact, it is not.
For now I'm going to keep the blood that I have. I still have two of her daughters, and then a few grand-kids as well.

Neat! Even if you don't have one of the nose-whites hanging around I'd be interested in the ones that produced them if you happen to know which ones those are.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
For now I'm going to keep the blood that I have. I still have two of her daughters, and then a few grand-kids as well.

Neat! Even if you don't have one of the nose-whites hanging around I'd be interested in the ones that produced them if you happen to know which ones those are.
Looks like I got rid of all of them... probably pangare carriers. It shouldn't be too long before I get a couple more foals born. I'll be on for awhile yet tonight. I'll save the teacups instead of dumping them, let you have your choice or take them all. I can always breed more. :D

I'll ping you here as soon as I drop another. They really are rather cute! Let alone the genes they must carry.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: Looks like I got rid of all of them... probably pangare carriers. It shouldn't be too long before I get a couple more foals born. I'll be on for awhile yet tonight. I'll save the teacups instead of dumping them, let you have your choice or take them all. I can always breed more. :D

I'll ping you here as soon as I drop another. They really are rather cute! Let alone the genes they must carry.
Thanks! I really appreciate it. :D If you ever need any of my black spottys for whatever reason, you know where to find me. ;)
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm