The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by Totina »

And I just realised that the patterns look almost exactly the same (except for the spots) for chestnut based and black based. Very interesting. This would mean that the genes for different areas as a single copy look like these fillies, and with double genes the white spreads even further.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:And I just realised that the patterns look almost exactly the same (except for the spots) for chestnut based and black based. Very interesting. This would mean that the genes for different areas as a single copy look like these fillies, and with double genes the white spreads even further.
If that's the case... I thought I read somewhere that geneticists had a similar theory for real life patterns. That regardless of lineage, certain alleles in certain spots on the genome will cover similar spots with similar patterning on horses, even if they are wholly unrelated. I do wonder if it's that straightforward in life, but for a game, I would come to expect that.
Okay, so I can't find it on the net where I might've read it; so I can't prove what I thought I read.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote:
Totina wrote:And I just realised that the patterns look almost exactly the same (except for the spots) for chestnut based and black based. Very interesting. This would mean that the genes for different areas as a single copy look like these fillies, and with double genes the white spreads even further.
If that's the case... I thought I read somewhere that geneticists had a similar theory for real life patterns. That regardless of lineage, certain alleles in certain spots on the genome will cover similar spots with similar patterning on horses, even if they are wholly unrelated. I do wonder if it's that straightforward in life, but for a game, I would come to expect that.
Okay, so I can't find it on the net where I might've read it; so I can't prove what I thought I read.
That is interesting (and kind of "eureka"/"haha" funny) how the patterns on the browns and then the patterns on the chestnut/palomino are almost identical.

I feel like the one about real life may have some reference to the difference between tobiano, sabino, overo, etc. Like how sabino likes to show up as weird socks/stars and occasionally stomach patches whereas overo (at least the frame version) likes to be patches on the body that don't cross the center line over the top or bottom. I suppose the same theory could be applied to different expressions of the leopard pattern.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Bit of an aside, but I just had my first a new horse with some white freckles instead of just the dark ones in the white spots. (Thought she was my first but it turns out mom had some faint ones on her back leg as well.)
ImageImage
Bottom image is mom. You can see the very faint remnants of the freckles just above the horizontal line of spots slightly above her hock.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

I bred two horses that had no visible snowflakes (only varnish) and ended up with snowflakes and a snowcap blanket:

Could some variations of snowflake genes be recessive or could there be snowflakes on areas that are not visible, like the other side of the horse?
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

The other side of the horse is still an unknown. Plus, I noticed that when a mare gets pregnant, not only does her stomach distend, but spots stretch as well. But does this mean I can see spots that weren't visible before because they were hidden on the direct underside versus the 'other side'? Then also, this may still not answer the question of whether the other side hides snowflakes or spots.
I haven't yet come to a conclusion any way.

This horse.

This horse.

This horse.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:Bit of an aside, but I just had my first a new horse with some white freckles instead of just the dark ones in the white spots. (Thought she was my first but it turns out mom had some faint ones on her back leg as well.)

Bottom image is mom. You can see the very faint remnants of the freckles just above the horizontal line of spots slightly above her hock.
By the way, I really like those white freckles. It's a little reminiscent of fewspot without being one.
Raikit wrote:
That is interesting (and kind of "eureka"/"haha" funny) how the patterns on the browns and then the patterns on the chestnut/palomino are almost identical.

I feel like the one about real life may have some reference to the difference between tobiano, sabino, overo, etc. Like how sabino likes to show up as weird socks/stars and occasionally stomach patches whereas overo (at least the frame version) likes to be patches on the body that don't cross the center line over the top or bottom. I suppose the same theory could be applied to different expressions of the leopard pattern.
You could be right about that. It might have actually been those white colors I read that about and perhaps not about appaloosa patterning.
Raikit
Visit My Farm

Post by Raikit »

BlackOak2 wrote:The other side of the horse is still an unknown. Plus, I noticed that when a mare gets pregnant, not only does her stomach distend, but spots stretch as well. But does this mean I can see spots that weren't visible before because they were hidden on the direct underside versus the 'other side'? Then also, this may still not answer the question of whether the other side hides snowflakes or spots.
I haven't yet come to a conclusion any way.
I don't know about the other side of the horse, but from those pictures it doesn't look to me as if you're seeing new spots, it looks like tiny spots that were there are being enlarged because they now have to cover a larger area.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Raikit wrote:
I don't know about the other side of the horse, but from those pictures it doesn't look to me as if you're seeing new spots, it looks like tiny spots that were there are being enlarged because they now have to cover a larger area.
Yeah, that's the closest I've come as well.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: By the way, I really like those white freckles. It's a little reminiscent of fewspot without being one.
That's what I thought! And her dad is a fewspot, so I wonder if that has anything to do with it.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:02 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:02 pm