The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by Totina »

Silverine wrote:And here's another foal from the same Arabian:

He's a colt, but I decided to hold onto him.
That is a very nice pattern on the back leg you've got! If not completely white yet it might be a clue as to where the genes for that area are hidden, in the AC arabians.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Welp. I got both forelegs but missed the lower part of the neck. XD

Still, the legs have been harder to get at the same time for me than getting the neck (had problems with it before BlackOak got us neck white) so I'm happy.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Not much of a progress but I think it is quite an interesting pattern on this filly:

Notice how the spots seem pretty dense on the top but leave two major white areas without any spots at all.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Totina wrote:Not much of a progress but I think it is quite an interesting pattern on this filly:

Notice how the spots seem pretty dense on the top but leave two major white areas without any spots at all.
I have one or two that have much smaller minus areas kind of like that. This one I'm trying to get to pass on her minus spread, but I haven't achieved it yet.

Wild Maiden

It came through her mother, but beyond that, there is a lot of fewspots and unusual patterning, so I don't know if it can be tracked down. I don't think it came from her, but her great-granddam through her damsire is an AC arabian.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

I think the large empty areas have something to do with the large spots. I just had this colt born and he's the only horse I've had with large empty sections. He's also one of only a few of my horses to have big spots.

I also wanted to note that he actually has small spots inside his big spots (check out the area between hip and stifle):

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

That's an interesting theory.
I can't say any of my minus-area horses had small spots and I think all of them had medium (those type verging on being large) and larger spots.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:That's an interesting theory.
I can't say any of my minus-area horses had small spots and I think all of them had medium (those type verging on being large) and larger spots.
It would be interesting to test out.

Also, if anyone is interested in one of the mixed-Arabians with extra white on the back leg, this guy is for sale. I have his colt so I don't need him anymore.

He gave me this cutie:

Out of this mare:

(He has also had foals with neck white, just not this one. CX)
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Another with the minus areas, although not as prominent as the others:

Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

And the same larger spots.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

It seems like there are many different areas where these "minus pattern" can occur. I wonder if it is connected to genetics, similar to spot density/white spread, and if it i possible to get a horse with no (or almost no) spots at all.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:33 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:33 pm