The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Leopard Patterns - Information and open discussion

Post by BlackOak2 »

What batch is this? Sixth I think...

I'm considering breeding two of these offspring together, but I don't think that'll offer me any new data.

Edit: rehomed this batch of offspring. No proof of theory.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: I'm considering breeding two of these offspring together, but I don't think that'll offer me any new data.
The problem with that is, if our assumption is correct that the spread is caused by being homozygous, then all of the babies have one copy from their mother and crossing them together we wouldn't know if any spread that shows up is only from her or could also be related to dad.

Does this particular belgian have any descendants further on that offered spread? I'm just thinking that there is always the possibility that he doesn't carry the gene. So basically, a gene that hides in a certain coat of a certain breed doesn't always pop up in that combo, making it even rarer.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote: I'm considering breeding two of these offspring together, but I don't think that'll offer me any new data.
The problem with that is, if our assumption is correct that the spread is caused by being homozygous, then all of the babies have one copy from their mother and crossing them together we wouldn't know if any spread that shows up is only from her or could also be related to dad.

Does this particular belgian have any descendants further on that offered spread? I'm just thinking that there is always the possibility that he doesn't carry the gene. So basically, a gene that hides in a certain coat of a certain breed doesn't always pop up in that combo, making it even rarer.
He doesn't have any other offspring. I'm getting too much belgian in my leopard tarpans so I didn't keep any of the foals.
The reason I chose him is because the other AC belgians that I crossed out from, using the same mare (or stallion) stock, always gave me much less spread. When I used him, he offered twice the coverage (give or take). So I figured he was a good candidate.

Perhaps the only way to see if black belgians have the needed gene is to start from scrap, use shetlands, tarpans and black belgians only and see how far the spread goes. I have a lot of projects ongoing right now, but when I clean some of them up, I should have enough room to try that. The belgian breed was not one I crossed into, mainly because of their size and the fact they they're generally heavily leaning toward pony types.

Unless you have another idea perhaps?

The more time passes, the less and less sure I am of how to attack the problem.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: He doesn't have any other offspring. I'm getting too much belgian in my leopard tarpans so I didn't keep any of the foals.
The reason I chose him is because the other AC belgians that I crossed out from, using the same mare (or stallion) stock, always gave me much less spread. When I used him, he offered twice the coverage (give or take). So I figured he was a good candidate.

Perhaps the only way to see if black belgians have the needed gene is to start from scrap, use shetlands, tarpans and black belgians only and see how far the spread goes. I have a lot of projects ongoing right now, but when I clean some of them up, I should have enough room to try that. The belgian breed was not one I crossed into, mainly because of their size and the fact they they're generally heavily leaning toward pony types.

Unless you have another idea perhaps?

The more time passes, the less and less sure I am of how to attack the problem.
Honestly I don't. I'm breeding a new line of Knabstruppers from scratch, starting with the AC breeds, and grabbed an Lp Tarpan from the AC to start me off. So I'm hoping to get some good spread from the mixes as I work my way up to getting a Knab, but no real clue as to what I'll find.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
Honestly I don't. I'm breeding a new line of Knabstruppers from scratch, starting with the AC breeds, and grabbed an Lp Tarpan from the AC to start me off. So I'm hoping to get some good spread from the mixes as I work my way up to getting a Knab, but no real clue as to what I'll find.
Problems like this drive a person to drink! :lol:
Ha!
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: Problems like this drive a person to drink! :lol:
Ha!
Or to just take unplanned and super long hiatuses, as I did recently. :lol:

Tarpan I picked up from the AC:

Just a tiny blanket and some snowflakes, but as I was expecting to find snowflakes without a blanket I was more than happy to take it.

Her filly:

So far that's her only foal that's gotten Lp from her. A bit more pattern added on the butt, so that's good. Hopefully I'll see more as time goes on.

I've also been using this boy when I need a Tarpan stud because I was too lazy to keep searching the AC for one. So far I haven't gotten any Lp babies from him.

Edit: And I just found two more Tarpan girls to add to the program. At least one of them's a snowcap. :)

BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
Or to just take unplanned and super long hiatuses, as I did recently. :lol:

Tarpan I picked up from the AC:

Just a tiny blanket and some snowflakes, but as I was expecting to find snowflakes without a blanket I was more than happy to take it.

Her filly:

So far that's her only foal that's gotten Lp from her. A bit more pattern added on the butt, so that's good. Hopefully I'll see more as time goes on.

I've also been using this boy when I need a Tarpan stud because I was too lazy to keep searching the AC for one. So far I haven't gotten any Lp babies from him.
I have done those hiatuses! There were a couple times I just never returned to former games... :D

If I remember about my early tarpan. I couldn't get the blankets to spread beyond their hip, butt area until I crossed over into both caspian and shetland. In fact... If I remember correctly, I couldn't get the caspian, tarpan crosses to spread beyond the backbone, hip and butt area until I crossed back into shetland. It was excessively frustrating and I did stop the project for a couple months.
I don't remember seeing too many snowflake only tarpans. You might have a lot more luck looking through the shetlands and crossing into the caspians.
But then again... that was quite some time ago.
I remember I wanted to just dump the entire project and do something entirely different.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote: If I remember about my early tarpan. I couldn't get the blankets to spread beyond their hip, butt area until I crossed over into both caspian and shetland. In fact... If I remember correctly, I couldn't get the caspian, tarpan crosses to spread beyond the backbone, hip and butt area until I crossed back into shetland. It was excessively frustrating and I did stop the project for a couple months.
I don't remember seeing too many snowflake only tarpans. You might have a lot more luck looking through the shetlands and crossing into the caspians.
But then again... that was quite some time ago.
I remember I wanted to just dump the entire project and do something entirely different.
My goal at the moment is to only crossbreed when making necessary new breeds. Just go completely clean from the ground up. I'm only using outside stallions if they're from the AC or if their ancestry is completely AC. If they don't get the coverage they need I can always cross them back to my current herd later. I'll be using Tarpan, Przewalski, Arabian, Turkmene, NAB, and Forest Horse in the lines so there's a lot of places spread could come from.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Silverine wrote:
My goal at the moment is to only crossbreed when making necessary new breeds. Just go completely clean from the ground up. I'm only using outside stallions if they're from the AC or if their ancestry is completely AC. If they don't get the coverage they need I can always cross them back to my current herd later. I'll be using Tarpan, Przewalski, Arabian, Turkmene, NAB, and Forest Horse in the lines so there's a lot of places spread could come from.
Good luck!
And hopefully you'll stumble across some other interesting information tidbits.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Next batch. Surprisingly, I haven't lost any of the mares yet. But still nothing new to report yet.

Edit: rehomed this batch of offspring. No proof of theory.
Last edited by BlackOak2 on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:58 am

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:58 am