The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Lp Experiment - AC Horse Edition

Create a topic to track the progress of your breeding program, help support other breeders with their breeding goals.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Re: Lp Experiment - AC Horse Edition

Post by BlackOak2 »

Looks like the caspian also covers white onto the back of the thigh.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BlackOak2 wrote:Looks like the caspian also covers white onto the back of the thigh.
Seems so, especially since my horses have trouble there.
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Seems the NAB has the white extension of the chest area behind the elbow.

And the Prze mare looks like she's not a leopard pattern carrier. I had a belgian mare that gave me diddly.
Those foals from that cross seem to offer nothing additional beyond what the stallion can offer on a regular.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

I disagree on the Prze mare - she seemed to offer better coverage along the back end right under the tail than what I get from just my boy. She didn't offer more up front, but she did cover up that one area that my boy was missing.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

BONUS ROUND!

Black snowcap mares crossed with other stallions!

ℬℳ Snow Phase x Various Black LpLp Mares
StallionMareOffspring
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

AC Shetland X Various Black Mares
StallionMareOffspring
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

So I decided to do some research to see if I could narrow down my search area at all. I looked at what breeds it takes to create the Knabstrupper and the Appaloosa - two breeds that in real life are known to carry PATN1. I thought I should do this because a lot (most?) of our in-game genetics are based on their real-life counterparts. I noticed that both the Knabstrupper and the Appaloosa have the Spanish Barb <- Spanish Jennet <- Sorraia in their pedigree. This line comes from five different AC breeds - Arab, Forest Horse, NAB, Prze WH, and Tarpan. (Outside of this line the only other ancient breed used to help create the Knabstrupper and the Appaloosa is the Turkmene.)

The Andalusian also uses the Sorraia in its pedigree and while modern Andalusians are not usually spotted, the breed itself did have spotted individuals for a large part of its history. You can still register spotted Andalusians today. (Unfortunately can't find my original source for this, but here is the Wikipedia article.)

If my inference that PATN1 has to be hiding somewhere within the heritage of these two breeds is correct, then this eliminates two of my biggest contenders - the Belgian and the Caspian. (They could actually still have it, but to me this makes them less likely.) So I've decided to finish up with the two Caspian mares I'm currently working with and focus my efforts more on these five. It's not much of a narrowing down, but hopefully concentrating my efforts even a little bit will be a big help.
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Silverine wrote:So I decided to do some research to see if I could narrow down my search area at all. I looked at what breeds it takes to create the Knabstrupper and the Appaloosa - two breeds that in real life are known to carry PATN1. I thought I should do this because a lot (most?) of our in-game genetics are based on their real-life counterparts. I noticed that both the Knabstrupper and the Appaloosa have the Spanish Barb <- Spanish Jennet <- Sorraia in their pedigree. This line comes from five different AC breeds - Arab, Forest Horse, NAB, Prze WH, and Tarpan. (Outside of this line the only other ancient breed used to help create the Knabstrupper and the Appaloosa is the Turkmene.)

The Andalusian also uses the Sorraia in its pedigree and while modern Andalusians are not usually spotted, the breed itself did have spotted individuals for a large part of its history. You can still register spotted Andalusians today. (Unfortunately can't find my original source for this, but here is the Wikipedia article.)

If my inference that PATN1 has to be hiding somewhere within the heritage of these two breeds is correct, then this eliminates two of my biggest contenders - the Belgian and the Caspian. (They could actually still have it, but to me this makes them less likely.) So I've decided to finish up with the two Caspian mares I'm currently working with and focus my efforts more on these five. It's not much of a narrowing down, but hopefully concentrating my efforts even a little bit will be a big help.
Interesting thought but I don't know if it really is the case that one of those breeds must hide the PATN1 gene. Take shetland ponies for example. In real life they don't carry the LP switch gene unless they are crossed with another breed somewhere in the pedigree, but in the game they do have the LP switch gene.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Totina wrote: Interesting thought but I don't know if it really is the case that one of those breeds must hide the PATN1 gene. Take shetland ponies for example. In real life they don't carry the LP switch gene unless they are crossed with another breed somewhere in the pedigree, but in the game they do have the LP switch gene.
Well, it has to be somewhere. XD I've heard people saying that the Belgian and Caspian are big contenders for PATN1, but if a lot of people have been working with those wouldn't we have expected to see something by now? The breeds I mentioned above seem to be a lot less common in Lp experiments. If PATN1 is already rare (which we don't really know if it is, we're just hypothesizing based on past results), then its possible that we just haven't found it in the breeds commonly experimented with. But what I think more likely is that its actually running around in the breeds fewer - if any - people are actually looking for it in.

And as for the just hypothesizing thing - that's all I'm doing here as well. Yay scientific method! :lol:
Totina
Visit My Farm

Post by Totina »

Silverine wrote:
Totina wrote: Interesting thought but I don't know if it really is the case that one of those breeds must hide the PATN1 gene. Take shetland ponies for example. In real life they don't carry the LP switch gene unless they are crossed with another breed somewhere in the pedigree, but in the game they do have the LP switch gene.
Well, it has to be somewhere. XD I've heard people saying that the Belgian and Caspian are big contenders for PATN1, but if a lot of people have been working with those wouldn't we have expected to see something by now? The breeds I mentioned above seem to be a lot less common in Lp experiments. If PATN1 is already rare (which we don't really know if it is, we're just hypothesizing based on past results), then its possible that we just haven't found it in the breeds commonly experimented with. But what I think more likely is that its actually running around in the breeds fewer - if any - people are actually looking for it in.

And as for the just hypothesizing thing - that's all I'm doing here as well. Yay scientific method! :lol:
That really depends on how many people are looking for the PATN1 gene, how many AC horses they are trying and how many times with each horse. Then you also need to keep in mind how quickly people are progressing through the game, how many horses can you really try within a week on average if you try each horse at least three times? Some people may use up turns more quickly than others but using my own way of playing I would say that on average I progress 2 years in-game each day irl. That is about 2 foals/mare, and on average I have 2-3 leopard mares in gestation at the same time since I also have other projects going on.
If I would test some AC stallions for these mares I could perhaps completely confirm/eliminate 1-2 AC stallions/day. At a minimum I could test 7 AC stallions/week and a maximum of 14/week (which very rarely would happen so let's say it is most likely that I could test 10-11 AC stallions/week). This only applies if I dedicate all my current leopard mares in gestation to test AC stallions and if I keep up with the same pace of 2 foals/mare a day irl.

My guess is that most people don't dedicate this much time/effort to test what AC horses might carry what. Then again, the PATN1 gene could be as rare as 1% of horses that spawn of a certain breed in the AC are carriers of it. But if it would be that low, then I would not count out any AC breed just yet since there is a 99% chance of not getting a PATN1 gene carrier when adopting a horse or using a random stallion that is up for public stud.
Silverine
Visit My Farm

Post by Silverine »

Totina wrote:[
My guess is that most people don't dedicate this much time/effort to test what AC horses might carry what. Then again, the PATN1 gene could be as rare as 1% of horses that spawn of a certain breed in the AC are carriers of it. But if it would be that low, then I would not count out any AC breed just yet since there is a 99% chance of not getting a PATN1 gene carrier when adopting a horse or using a random stallion that is up for public stud.
Everything you've said is true. However, of the people that were experimenting and posting their findings on the forum (especially back when Lp was first released) all of the experiments were with Belgians, Caspians, Shetlands, and - to a lesser degree - Forest Horses. So after what I've seen with my initial results - a little bit more coverage with the aforementioned breeds but really things staying mostly consistent - it makes sense to me to experiment with some of the less-looked-at breeds.

I've also been looking through some pedigrees and have found a lot of Quarter Horse blood in non-red horses with white (and in places in the pedigree that seem to be the origin of the extra white). Quarter Horses also have these same five breeds as their ancient ancestors.

I'm not saying that these five for sure have anything. I'm just saying that it makes sense to look.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:26 pm

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:26 pm