The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

How important is horse confomation

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
Golden Lotus Stables
Visit My Farm

How important is horse confomation

Post by Golden Lotus Stables »

I know there are topics about horses conformation, but i am still unsure on a definite answer on how a horse built affects its stats. Does a horse conformation impacts horses stats, so generally the higher the stats the better conformation the horse has? and if i am correct stats have also impact on breeders report? When determining whether or not to keep a foal i bred, do i look at its conformation or stats as well as breeders report for reference,can someone please explain that for me. Can't seem to grasp it well and its no thoroughly explained in the game.I am trying to keep track of my horses but don't know if i need to logs its conformation or just summary of its stats is good :)

Thanks
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Re: How important is horse confomation

Post by Bitapetrone »

This is written from the perspective of competition.

Conformation and the BR (Breeder's Report) are separate but intertwined entities. You cannot definitively judge a horse on either one alone. You need to look at the conformation and BR together. You also need to take into consideration that certain types get more bang in certain areas (a very heavy pony type is going to be much better at log pull than a very light horse type, and vice versa for racing). In addition, I find it is easier to get green/gold strength on the BR with a heavy type than it is with a medium+ type, though I have had medium horse types with green in strength. I find it significantly easier to get green/gold speed on a lighter horse type as well.

I look for horses that have good BR comments despite their conformation. For example, if you get a horse with 8 in speed conformation and a BR report commenting on how fast the horse is, he probably has a natural aptitude here. But again, without the high conformation, he won't be able to use it to its full potential.
Golden Lotus Stables
Visit My Farm

ok so that sort of makes sense now, i guess horse built is slightly different all together.I have Akhal-Tekes that have long hips length,shorter neck and back,stifle placement backward,croup height uphill and and sloped hip angle, all focusing on speed, strengh and stamina as much as possible i also have deep rig cage but shallow depth of flank and if i post one for you to show you http://www.horseworldonline.net/horse/profile/1030918 is what they look like they arent as refined and i wanted to slightly change that
Golden Lotus Stables
Visit My Farm

Bitapetrone wrote:This is written from the perspective of competition.

Conformation and the BR (Breeder's Report) are separate but intertwined entities. You cannot definitively judge a horse on either one alone. You need to look at the conformation and BR together. You also need to take into consideration that certain types get more bang in certain areas (a very heavy pony type is going to be much better at log pull than a very light horse type, and vice versa for racing). In addition, I find it is easier to get green/gold strength on the BR with a heavy type than it is with a medium+ type, though I have had medium horse types with green in strength. I find it significantly easier to get green/gold speed on a lighter horse type as well.

I look for horses that have good BR comments despite their conformation. For example, if you get a horse with 8 in speed conformation and a BR report commenting on how fast the horse is, he probably has a natural aptitude here. But again, without the high conformation, he won't be able to use it to its full potential.

Would be nice to have a horse model to play with to see what affects what and how much and so forth,i know there is one but aint working
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Bitapetrone »

Well, the model is nice, but if you experiment with different body types and keep an eye on how slight changes effect your horses you can get a pretty good idea of what altering each conformation aspect will do. If you check out the conformations of successful horses in a discipline where the trait (in this case speed) is important, and you look at their conformation you can get an idea of what it would look like to have a 60+ whatever-stat horse.

An uphill build pushes more elevated and fancy movement in addition to strength, but it will decrease speed significantly. If you look in the conformation tab you'll see your horse is getting 0 bonus speed. You'll want to be closer to the top end of downhill, around 90%~.

A longer neck also increases speed potential, but strength will suffer of course.

A mediumish head size is ideal for speed, and a long face will boost stamina.
Golden Lotus Stables
Visit My Farm

this is making a bit better sense, so do you think i should alternate my horses to a downhill croup instead of uphill? as well as a long neck versus short neck and maybe keep face to medium/longer ideally to get benefit of both speed and stamina? What do you suggest i do with hip angle leave it for strength? or slightly increase it to flatter angle? Thank you for your help Bitapetrone lol, kind of still learning as i go here,never knew much about horses conformation
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Bitapetrone »

Golden Lotus Stables wrote:this is making a bit better sense, so do you think i should alternate my horses to a downhill croup instead of uphill? as well as a long neck versus short neck and maybe keep face to medium/longer ideally to get benefit of both speed and stamina? What do you suggest i do with hip angle leave it for strength? or slightly increase it to flatter angle? Thank you for your help Bitapetrone lol, kind of still learning as i go here,never knew much about horses conformation
If speed is your goal, I would certainly recommend those alterations. Personally, I breed my racers for a steeper croup (10%~ range is the goal for max strength) because it enhances strength for Racing competitions. Strength is not the most important stat for Racing, but it certainly still comes into play so I can't see ignoring it if you want to push higher competition levels. The bonuses of the flatter croup (balance, movement) are useless to my Racing horses.

I'll critique one of my own horses to show what I look for in a racer. Keep in mind though that I breed strictly for competition so I don't adhere to any particular breed standard and I just breed for the type that performs well. Excluding height (which is easy to adjust) the following horse is only missing one evaluation for being a Teke in one area; his body size is too great. With some adjustments, it seems very feasible to obtain 60+ speed on a Teke.

So, we start by considering that the stat priority of Racing goes as follow: Speed, Stamina, Strength, Speed. Right now, Daedalus is the highest scoring Racer in the game so he should be a good template to look at.

Racing is one of the easier (in my opinion) competitions to optimize for simply because there isn't a lot of overlap. Because speed is so so important, you don't need to worry about compromising to fight for, say, Speed and Strength in one feature (back length is an example of this). Do keep in mind though that there is some overlap, and if you adjust something to favor one stat you could be hurting another.

Speed is recorded twice, so it is by far the most important stat -- when I say stat I am referring to the amalgamation of the BR and the Conformation -- and that should be priority number one. Daedalus does not have the max speed conformation he can get, but he's certainly close. At 62 speed conformation, you'll be able to see how his conformation is affecting the speed bonus, particularly in the face, neck length, leg thickness, flank, croup and downhill build. The degree that he is downhill, while near-ideal in HWO, is not what I would look for IRL. Racers in IRL of course have downhill builds for the most part, but not to this extreme. In addition to his 62 in speed conformation, he also has a fantastic BR comment on Speed. Now, When it comes to BR, I highly recommend not basing your decision to keep/breed a horse on how pretty the comment is, because other factors come into play. The best way to know you have a good competitor on your hands is to compete the horse. I personally test all my horses in local shows before breeding/entering them in player-hosted competitions.

Stamina is the second most important stat for racing. I've done a solid job of emphasizing Daedalus' stamina, but there are areas where it could be improved (in his face length for example). For stamina, keep an eye on the face profile/length, shoulder, rib cage, back length. As you can see on his BR, he doesn't even have a green comment for stamina. This again emphasizes the importance of testing a horse in competition before judging their value based on BR comments.

Strength is the last thing you'll be looking at. We want to amp it up as much as is feasible, but we do not want to do so at the cost of speed and stamina. For a racer, you'll get the biggest bang for your buck altering the hip slope and length to boost strength. Daedalus' slope is too extreme, and you can see how it is beginning to have a negative effect on his strength. Where he has a 6 he could have 10+.

Hope this is useful. :)

Daedalus
Golden Lotus Stables
Visit My Farm

wow:) that is a lot of info, so i guess you sort of wanna a balance, i probably want to up my stamina and speed in my line since strength isn't a problem, i have most of my Tekes in close to 50+ strength stat, so i could probably tone in down a little and a lot of their conformation have strong strength part of it.I probably don't wanna cut out fully the strength. So focus to maybe increase the length of their backs for strength and speed, change crop height to downhill slightly to get both benefits of speed and strength,i see few TB's have them, and work on depth flank to get a bit of stamina and speed and not just speed, keep hip length to long as gets both strength and speed
Bitapetrone
Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Visit My Farm

Post by Bitapetrone »

Sounds like a plan!
Golden Lotus Stables
Visit My Farm

well thank you soo much for your help):