The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Temperments

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
nleapril
Visit My Farm

Temperments

Post by nleapril »

What are the different temperaments and what do they all mean? I have a horse that is bombproof??? What does it mean?
MikiVCat
Visit My Farm

Re: Temperments

Post by MikiVCat »

nleapril wrote:What are the different temperaments and what do they all mean? I have a horse that is bombproof??? What does it mean?
Like you, I'm not quite sure how temperaments work. I understand there is bombproof, calm, even-temper, spirited, and high-strung(Perhaps others). I have been told that having high-strung horses make them do better in shows. Most of my horses are bombproof also :lol: You sometimes can change temperaments by putting the horses on high sugar food, although some won't change no matter what you do to them :D
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

nleapril wrote:What are the different temperaments and what do they all mean? I have a horse that is bombproof??? What does it mean?
MikiVCat wrote:Like you, I'm not quite sure how temperaments work. I understand there is bombproof, calm, even-temper, spirited, and high-strung(Perhaps others). I have been told that having high-strung horses make them do better in shows. Most of my horses are bombproof also :lol: You sometimes can change temperaments by putting the horses on high sugar food, although some won't change no matter what you do to them :D
MikiVCat is correct.

The temperaments are (in order from hottest to coldest, aka most excitable to least excitable)
High Strung
Spirited
Even-Tempered
Calm
Bombproof

Like most things in this game, temperaments can be passed down through bloodlines (meaning if you have a line of bombproof horses, it'll be rare or possibly impossible to breed a foal that is high strung, unless you breed to a line of horses that already carries that temperament.

As of right now, there are only these five temperaments. I don't believe that will change. Each temperament seems to have multiple sub-levels (so you can have an even-tempered that is right on the cusp of spirited or right on the cusp of calm).

Temperaments only affect how your horse does in competitions (right now that is the only thing that's affected). I do not know if that will change in the future. I can't think of anything off the top of my head that could also be affected. Maybe training, ease of care. But for now, there is nothing else affected except competitions.

You can change your horse's temperament from the base temperament it was born with by feeding different supplementary feeds (any feed that is not grazing on grass). However, not all temperaments can change. It seems that if you're at the bottom sub-level of bombproof, no matter how much sugar to boost their energy output you offer, these horses won't get any more excitable. I do not think top sub-level of high strung has the same problem (meaning you can certainly bring them down from high strung). Just let them feed on a high fiber, low sugar diet (stick them out to pasture).

As far as what is the best temperament for competitions: each competition can have a different temperament that works best. The temperaments in competitions are set up as they work in real life. For example, horses with a high strung temperament will do just a bit better in racing competitions than those with a bombproof, calm or even temperaments. As another example, horses with a bombproof temperament will do better in Log Pull competitions then those with even, spirited or high strung temperaments.

Temperaments are an expression of how energetic, flighty or how 'hot' that particular horse is, however it only affects competitions and only to a limited degree.
Little_Cookie771
Visit My Farm

Post by Little_Cookie771 »

What do you feed a turkeme with bomb proof?
And what do you feed a turkemem X Fresian with even- tempered?
Little_Cookie771
Visit My Farm

hello
BlackOak2
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by BlackOak2 »

Little_Cookie771 wrote:What do you feed a turkeme with bomb proof?
Sorry about the slower reply.
What are you looking to achieve?
Do you want the turkmene to have a more energetic temperament?
And the same questions for the cross: what are you trying to achieve?

The basic rule of thumb: Feed fiber to lower temperament, feed sugar to raise it.
Remember that it takes time to change from one type to the next on the tier and each horse will change differently. Some will quickly move from bombproof to high strung in about 4 months. Meanwhile, others it may take 4 years.
Little_Cookie771
Visit My Farm

BlackOak2 wrote:
Little_Cookie771 wrote:What do you feed a turkeme with bomb proof?

The basic rule of thumb: Feed fiber to lower temperament, feed sugar to raise it.
Remember that it takes time to change from one type to the next on the tier and each horse will change differently. Some will quickly move from bombproof to high strung in about 4 months. Meanwhile, others it may take 4 years.
She died, but still. What would I do if they don't change their tepermant?
:D
Stormchase Stables
Premium
Premium
Visit My Farm

Post by Stormchase Stables »

Little_Cookie771 wrote:
BlackOak2 wrote:

Nothing. If a horse doesn't change temperament by training and special feed, it won't ever change.
Little_Cookie771
Visit My Farm

Stormchase Stables wrote:
Little_Cookie771 wrote:
Nothing. If a horse doesn't change temperament by training and special feed, it won't ever change.
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:16 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:16 am