The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

Community Forum

The new layout is in beta testing and we're inviting you to help us try it out! Click here to read the announcement post for details.

growing graze/ improving pasture quality

Need some help figuring out part of the game? Post your questions here and we'll be glad to help you out.
MiaButton
Visit My Farm

growing graze/ improving pasture quality

Post by MiaButton »

hello, my pastures are below capacity but have very poor quality grass/baren. how do I grow more grass
Scythian
Visit My Farm

Re: growing graze/ improving pasture quality

Post by Scythian »

MiaButton wrote:hello, my pastures are below capacity but have very poor quality grass/baren. how do I grow more grass
When you join HWO, your first pasture holds 12 horses and is at 100% quality. Any further pastures have to be bought and they all arrive at your farm with only 15% quality. You have to make time pass on the farm to grow grass.

If there are no horses grazing in the pasture, it will grow grass back at the rate of 3.9% improvement per turn ("advance to the next day"). If there are horses grazing, then how fast it grows back -- if at all -- depends on a number of factors, all interrelated:

-- how many there are compared to pasture capacity (2/12 is less than 2/8 or 2/4).

-- how big they are.

-- what breed? "hot", "warm", or "cold"-blooded*.

-- what "Temperament". Each horse has a "Temperament" described at birth or adoption, but it may change according to feed type and level. "Bombproof" is the least excitable and hungry, then "Calm", "Even-tempered", "Spirited", and "High Strung". Adding a high-sugar feed like Yellow Corn or Weight Gain Mix might increase excitability. Some horses, if born Bombproof, stay that way.

-- what stage of life they are in (0 to 5 year olds are growing and need more food than older horses).

-- gender. Stallions/colts eat somewhat more than mares/fillies.

-- if a mare, whether she's pregnant and for how long. Mares need extra food, especially during the last 2-3 months of a pregnancy, from about 9 months to delivery.

-- how much supplementary food you assign them.

* In this game, "hot" = rapid metabolism = racing breeds like Turkmene, Deliboz, Russian Don, Thoroughbred.
"warm" = medium metabolism = saddle horse breeds like Quarter Horse, Morgan, Sport Horses, and Warmbloods.
"cold" = slower metabolism = draft breeds. In terms of feeding, also Shetlands, Przewalskis, and Tarpans.

A tall, Very Light Horse Type Turkmene with a High Strung disposition could need more food than a Bombproof Belgian. While the Belgian can live well if the grass is in adequate supply, the racehorse may be better off in a barn. The owner can give it more varied food.

In this game, most adult Horses (and larger Ponies, measured in hands, not inches) can be kept and maintained in a healthy state in a barn. The advantage is that you can assign four foods in any combination, in quantities from 5 to 100 percent. The disadvantages are:

-- Upfront costs: See the Farm Building page. Depending on your situation, it may be an advantage to put Real World money into the game for Pony Tokens. Farm furnishings are among the very few things that PTs are used for.

-- Associated with that, you may need to buy more space for your farm to add a pasture or barn. The system gives you an alert and won't let you buy a barn/pasture unless you have the room for it. From the farm's page, click "Edit My Farm" and the farm's size is given in Depth (vertical, goes to 5) and Width (horizontal, goes to 20). Each addition costs thousands to tens of thousands to ... I haven't gotten to $100K yet, and my farm is 5 Deep x 14 Wide. The increase from 4 to 5 Wide is $20K, and from 14 to 15 it's $60K. And it's always/only game money; you can't offer Pony Tokens for this.

-- A pregnant mare takes up two stalls, as well as two pasture spaces.

-- Continuing costs: Feeding one Light Horse costs me about $2 to $10 ($4 to $7 for many) in game money every turn in order to maintain healthy weight. I try to keep them in Moderately Thin to Moderate to Moderately Fleshy condition. Feeding in excess of 100% is necessary to restore healthy weight -- for example, when a youngster is growing.

It's possible for a good-quality horse to earn useful amounts of money through Local Shows, at least compared to food costs. This also takes some trial-and-error, and game time at 3 hours per show (or 2.25 hours if you have the Time Saver Player Bonus). The entry fees are lower than those for most public shows, and the rewards are immediate.

If you were able to stay with me :geek: for some/all of that, thanks, and I hope it helps.

Scythian :D
RoyalCrownAcres
Visit My Farm

Re: growing graze/ improving pasture quality

Post by RoyalCrownAcres »

Scythian wrote:
MiaButton wrote:hello, my pastures are below capacity but have very poor quality grass/baren. how do I grow more grass
When you join HWO, your first pasture holds 12 horses and is at 100% quality. Any further pastures have to be bought and they all arrive at your farm with only 15% quality. You have to make time pass on the farm to grow grass.

If there are no horses grazing in the pasture, it will grow grass back at the rate of 3.9% improvement per turn ("advance to the next day"). If there are horses grazing, then how fast it grows back -- if at all -- depends on a number of factors, all interrelated:

-- how many there are compared to pasture capacity (2/12 is less than 2/8 or 2/4).

-- how big they are.

-- what breed? "hot", "warm", or "cold"-blooded*.

-- what "Temperament". Each horse has a "Temperament" described at birth or adoption, but it may change according to feed type and level. "Bombproof" is the least excitable and hungry, then "Calm", "Even-tempered", "Spirited", and "High Strung". Adding a high-sugar feed like Yellow Corn or Weight Gain Mix might increase excitability. Some horses, if born Bombproof, stay that way.

-- what stage of life they are in (0 to 5 year olds are growing and need more food than older horses).

-- gender. Stallions/colts eat somewhat more than mares/fillies.

-- if a mare, whether she's pregnant and for how long. Mares need extra food, especially during the last 2-3 months of a pregnancy, from about 9 months to delivery.

-- how much supplementary food you assign them.

* In this game, "hot" = rapid metabolism = racing breeds like Turkmene, Deliboz, Russian Don, Thoroughbred.
"warm" = medium metabolism = saddle horse breeds like Quarter Horse, Morgan, Sport Horses, and Warmbloods.
"cold" = slower metabolism = draft breeds. In terms of feeding, also Shetlands, Przewalskis, and Tarpans.

A tall, Very Light Horse Type Turkmene with a High Strung disposition could need more food than a Bombproof Belgian. While the Belgian can live well if the grass is in adequate supply, the racehorse may be better off in a barn. The owner can give it more varied food.

In this game, most adult Horses (and larger Ponies, measured in hands, not inches) can be kept and maintained in a healthy state in a barn. The advantage is that you can assign four foods in any combination, in quantities from 5 to 100 percent. The disadvantages are:

-- Upfront costs: See the Farm Building page. Depending on your situation, it may be an advantage to put Real World money into the game for Pony Tokens. Farm furnishings are among the very few things that PTs are used for.

-- Associated with that, you may need to buy more space for your farm to add a pasture or barn. The system gives you an alert and won't let you buy a barn/pasture unless you have the room for it. From the farm's page, click "Edit My Farm" and the farm's size is given in Depth (vertical, goes to 5) and Width (horizontal, goes to 20). Each addition costs thousands to tens of thousands to ... I haven't gotten to $100K yet, and my farm is 5 Deep x 14 Wide. The increase from 4 to 5 Wide is $20K, and from 14 to 15 it's $60K. And it's always/only game money; you can't offer Pony Tokens for this.

-- A pregnant mare takes up two stalls, as well as two pasture spaces.

-- Continuing costs: Feeding one Light Horse costs me about $2 to $10 ($4 to $7 for many) in game money every turn in order to maintain healthy weight. I try to keep them in Moderately Thin to Moderate to Moderately Fleshy condition. Feeding in excess of 100% is necessary to restore healthy weight -- for example, when a youngster is growing.

It's possible for a good-quality horse to earn useful amounts of money through Local Shows, at least compared to food costs. This also takes some trial-and-error, and game time at 3 hours per show (or 2.25 hours if you have the Time Saver Player Bonus). The entry fees are lower than those for most public shows, and the rewards are immediate.

If you were able to stay with me :geek: for some/all of that, thanks, and I hope it helps.

This was helpful for me and I didn’t even need it!

Scythian :D
Become a Patron!
Last visit was: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:40 am

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:40 am